Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Asereje
Art Contributor

A gnome?

Post by Asereje »

I've done a gnome for the dwarf forces to learning pixel art. I don't know if it can be useful, maybe as a very weak combat unit healing & poisoning with the help of mushrooms?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Interesting idea, combining Heals and Poison.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Sounds very interesting :P
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Not too bad as far as pixel art goes. One thing to note, especially there on the hat, is that the edge on the right side of the picture is far too bold.

The line is too dark and thick - it needs to be thinner, as it is closer than the other to the light source. Things to keep in mind are the facts that lines do not need to be black, and do not always even need to be there. That edge needs something of a line, but not too much.

----------

I personally don't see any use for this guy in any of the campaigns right now, but I would like to say that I think such a graphic would be a good thing to keep on hand in the contributions wiki. Even though we might not have a use for it now, we might later.

Also, he is waay too big for a gnome, seeing as how he is the same size as a dwarf. Gnomes fit in your pocket.
Asereje
Art Contributor

Post by Asereje »

Thanks for the comments.
I come with an update of the gnome. He is even smaller, and I tried to do these black lines thinner.

I also put a dwarf on the image for size comparations.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

yeah, not bad at all. Sizing is just about perfect for a gnome in wesnoth - any smaller and he would lose all detail.

Exactly what I meant with the dark line - perfect fix. :wink:

I think one other thing I would do is slope his right shoulder (left side of pic) a bit. You may be able to fix this by adding no more than one pixel...

Otherwise, great work. I personally see no use for this in the main campaigns right now, though one of the creators might be inspired to find a use for it. Otherwise though, it is great to have such graphics on hand, in case someone ever had a hankering to put a gnome in a scenario, but discarded the idea because they didn't want to go to the trouble of making it.

:twisted: Feel free to make a whole race-set of these things...
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Damn.....and I thought I used all possible obvious ideas for weird dwarf units already...better get back to work.
Asereje
Art Contributor

Post by Asereje »

I've fixed the gnome's shoulder, and I've done a barbarian unit (a caprice). Maybe could be useful for somebody.I borrowed the color weft of the club from the troll pic.

Anyway, i've read about one page with missed images, so I'm going to start making useful images instead of these whim ones :wink:
Shade

Maybe

Post by Shade »

Maybe gnomes could be used to round out the Dwarves, and the outlaws could be split? Just a thought, let's keep any old flamage on the issue to a minimum :) They look nice. . .
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Maybe

Post by Dave »

Shade wrote:Maybe gnomes could be used to round out the Dwarves, and the outlaws could be split?
Possibly. The main issue is what types of units do gnomes have that dwarves don't already have?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Maybe

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dave wrote:
Shade wrote:Maybe gnomes could be used to round out the Dwarves, and the outlaws could be split?
Possibly. The main issue is what types of units do gnomes have that dwarves don't already have?

David
Gnomes can heal.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

gnomes would be OK... as long as they're not those garden gnomes with red hats. :)

but i don't get the point...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I think either this or the Darawrf (seriously!) could be a good scout unit. It fits that a small dwarf (is that what a gnome is?) would be a good scout, but a weak fighter. It could also be a healer and poisoner, however. But with the graphics, I think it looks good.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

MadMax wrote:I think either this or the Darawrf (seriously!) could be a good scout unit. It fits that a small dwarf (is that what a gnome is?) would be a good scout, but a weak fighter. It could also be a healer and poisoner, however. But with the graphics, I think it looks good.
gnomes are nothing like dwarves. dwarves are ~4ft high (~1.5 m), have large beards, and have a lot of armor. gnomes are about 1 foot tall, are bald, and don't have any weapons (they can curse you, though, IIRC). gnomes are like what goblins were before tolkien came along.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:
MadMax wrote:I think either this or the Darawrf (seriously!) could be a good scout unit. It fits that a small dwarf (is that what a gnome is?) would be a good scout, but a weak fighter. It could also be a healer and poisoner, however. But with the graphics, I think it looks good.
gnomes are nothing like dwarves. dwarves are ~4ft high (~1.5 m), have large beards, and have a lot of armor. gnomes are about 1 foot tall, are bald, and don't have any weapons (they can curse you, though, IIRC). gnomes are like what goblins were before tolkien came along.
I think it varies. In RPGs I have played, Gnomes are only a little smaller than Dwarves, are generally less war-like and more inventive. However, I really don't see the point of such creatures; they might as well be dwarves.

I don't see how 1 foot tall units could really have a place in multiplayer Wesnoth. (Just about any fantasy-like creature could have a place of some kind in a campaign, with a sufficiently contrived example)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming