Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Re: fighter-axe-melee animation

Post by irrevenant »

Vendanna wrote:Now you only would need to replace the axe with the hammer and you would probably have another attack made and would require less work.
I anticipate Jetryl saying this would look cheap...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

irrevenant wrote:
Vendanna wrote:Now you only would need to replace the axe with the hammer and you would probably have another attack made and would require less work.
I anticipate Jetryl saying this would look cheap...
Maybe? The worry is more that this would look somewhat indistinguishable from the axe animation - which is currently an issue with the current hammer animation.

Another thing that'd really, really help differentiate these would be if I made contact-splash animations (e.g. flashes like the woses do when they impact on the ground when dying). Simple to make, but lots of effect. I should make a point of experimenting with them tomorrow night. The same can be done even with slashes, though I think those need a couple frames, and need to be halos floating above everything else. It would also help differentiate misses and hits.

To keep the sprites flowing: if quietus makes a unique hammer animation for the fighter, while he's porting the melee-axe animation to the steelclad and lord, I'll port his melee-hammer animation to the steelclad and lord. Repetitive work like that ain't fun, and Quietus is proving himself good enough that I should share some of the load.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

Idea for a hammer animation: how about a standing two-handed overhead blow? Make it nice and dramatic with a big wind-up and finish.
jdsampayo

Post by jdsampayo »

or maybe right handed for the hammer
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Committed: Subtle edit - on frames 5-6-7-8, changed the shield so that for a few frames, we're seeing the inner side of the shield. Things like this help give animations that three-dimensional feel.

Archive of it attached - it really was a subtle tweak to an otherwise excellent animation.
Attachments
fighter-axe.zip
(12.98 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!