Portrait Tutorial

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
User avatar
battlestar
Posts: 690
Joined: January 1st, 2007, 7:12 am

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by battlestar » August 29th, 2008, 3:48 am

Can I say this post is something along the lines of being orgasmic? It's awesome. Thanks a ton!
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed

User avatar
BomSite
Posts: 59
Joined: September 5th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Somewhere in the mountains of Wesnoth

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by BomSite » September 11th, 2010, 11:11 pm

kitty wrote:For the third step I make an important decision: the lightsource(s). (...)
According to these lightsources I start to thicken and thin down the lines - thin where the light hits and thick where an object casts a shadow.
Just a (maybe stupid) newby question. How do you thin down the lines on a elegant manner? With the eraser, I don't get a nice line anymore. (it is jagged, and not equally thick on all places :( )
Bom(b)Site is the work of tree brothers: my work, his work and he has done work.

The result of that work is the Extended Armies Era: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37358

User avatar
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director
Posts: 8414
Joined: August 25th, 2007, 10:12 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by thespaceinvader » September 13th, 2010, 1:12 pm

You need to use a soft edged brush with your eraser. And take care. Most of our artists use graphics tablets, lacking one of those makes the process slower and more twitchy, but not necessarily more difficult.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.

User avatar
em3
Posts: 342
Joined: April 1st, 2009, 8:59 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by em3 » July 19th, 2013, 11:29 am

There are some images missing in the original post... maybe they should be hosted on Wesnoth wiki (or in the repository itself) instead of external sites?
ride on shooting star

copono
Posts: 2
Joined: July 16th, 2014, 10:23 pm

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by copono » July 16th, 2014, 10:25 pm

does anyone have those images? I'm very interested in the tutorial :(

User avatar
StandYourGround
Posts: 256
Joined: May 13th, 2009, 2:16 am
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by StandYourGround » July 16th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Gravedig aside, I guess those were on Kitty's imageshack. Not sure what options there are. Welcome to the forums.
I will now resume lurking silently.

User avatar
iceiceice
Developer
Posts: 1056
Joined: August 23rd, 2013, 2:10 am

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by iceiceice » July 17th, 2014, 12:01 am

You can get most of the images here but still missing 3 it looks like: https://web.archive.org/web/20121114215 ... =9&t=21138

copono
Posts: 2
Joined: July 16th, 2014, 10:23 pm

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by copono » July 18th, 2014, 4:22 pm

thanks, that's great.

Violet-n-red
Posts: 33
Joined: June 27th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by Violet-n-red » June 30th, 2015, 3:16 pm

images are not visible :c

Wender_BR
Posts: 13
Joined: January 7th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by Wender_BR » July 4th, 2015, 8:53 pm

no images :(

User avatar
shadowm
Site Administrator
Posts: 6542
Joined: November 14th, 2006, 5:54 pm
Location: Chile
Contact:

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by shadowm » July 4th, 2015, 9:34 pm

I guess neither of you saw iceiceice’s link above.

Anyway, the other day I found a copy of this thread with the missing image* among my file backups from 2008, so I thought I may as well reupload all images to wesnoth.org and fix the URLs in the original post, so you won’t need to use web.archive.org to view the tutorial from now on. I’ve fixed the copy on the wiki as well.

* (web.archive.org was missing three images from the post, but only one of them is an actual picture and the other two are just text links to the full size versions of two other pictures, which I don’t have but are not really that important)

Just be warned that the author of this tutorial hasn’t been around here for years, so if you have any questions it’s extremely unlikely you’ll get an answer from her. There are other people around who have drawn portraits and may be able to assist, though.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.

User avatar
Kurumim
Posts: 16
Joined: January 8th, 2019, 3:56 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil.
Contact:

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by Kurumim » May 5th, 2019, 11:02 pm

what's the canvas size and resolution that i should use when making/painting portraits?

User avatar
doofus-01
Art Contributor
Posts: 3736
Joined: January 6th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Location: USA, the civilized part.

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by doofus-01 » May 6th, 2019, 1:21 am

Kurumim wrote:
May 5th, 2019, 11:02 pm
what's the canvas size and resolution that i should use when making/painting portraits?
Use whatever works for you. You'll need to scale down to 400-500px per side, so at least 1200x1200 makes sense (as kitty suggests in the first post).
Test it in game: temporarily replace an existing unit portrait, and look up that unit in the help screen. Then look at other unit help pages, see if the image fits in with existing mainline portraits.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects

User avatar
Kurumim
Posts: 16
Joined: January 8th, 2019, 3:56 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil.
Contact:

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by Kurumim » May 6th, 2019, 3:19 am

doofus-01 wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 1:21 am
Kurumim wrote:
May 5th, 2019, 11:02 pm
what's the canvas size and resolution that i should use when making/painting portraits?
Use whatever works for you. You'll need to scale down to 400-500px per side, so at least 1200x1200 makes sense (as kitty suggests in the first post).
Test it in game: temporarily replace an existing unit portrait, and look up that unit in the help screen. Then look at other unit help pages, see if the image fits in with existing mainline portraits.
Thanks man. Sorry for being such a noob, im kinda new to all this, but how do i change an existing portrait?

User avatar
Pentarctagon
Forum Administrator
Posts: 3830
Joined: March 22nd, 2009, 10:50 pm
Location: Earth (occasionally)

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by Pentarctagon » May 6th, 2019, 7:49 am

Kurumim wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 3:19 am
doofus-01 wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 1:21 am
Kurumim wrote:
May 5th, 2019, 11:02 pm
what's the canvas size and resolution that i should use when making/painting portraits?
Use whatever works for you. You'll need to scale down to 400-500px per side, so at least 1200x1200 makes sense (as kitty suggests in the first post).
Test it in game: temporarily replace an existing unit portrait, and look up that unit in the help screen. Then look at other unit help pages, see if the image fits in with existing mainline portraits.
Thanks man. Sorry for being such a noob, im kinda new to all this, but how do i change an existing portrait?
Change the unit's profile value(example), then reload Wesnoth.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code

Post Reply