Portrait Tutorial

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
battlestar

Re: Portrait Tutorial

Post by battlestar »

Can I say this post is something along the lines of being orgasmic? It's awesome. Thanks a ton!
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
BomSite

Post by BomSite »

kitty wrote:For the third step I make an important decision: the lightsource(s). (...)
According to these lightsources I start to thicken and thin down the lines - thin where the light hits and thick where an object casts a shadow.
Just a (maybe stupid) newby question. How do you thin down the lines on a elegant manner? With the eraser, I don't get a nice line anymore. (it is jagged, and not equally thick on all places :( )
Bom(b)Site is the work of tree brothers: my work, his work and he has done work.

The result of that work is the Extended Armies Era: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37358
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

You need to use a soft edged brush with your eraser. And take care. Most of our artists use graphics tablets, lacking one of those makes the process slower and more twitchy, but not necessarily more difficult.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
em3

Post by em3 »

There are some images missing in the original post... maybe they should be hosted on Wesnoth wiki (or in the repository itself) instead of external sites?
ride on shooting star
copono

Post by copono »

does anyone have those images? I'm very interested in the tutorial :(
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Gravedig aside, I guess those were on Kitty's imageshack. Not sure what options there are. Welcome to the forums.
I will now resume lurking silently.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

You can get most of the images here but still missing 3 it looks like: https://web.archive.org/web/20121114215 ... =9&t=21138
copono

Post by copono »

thanks, that's great.
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

images are not visible :c
Wender_BR

Post by Wender_BR »

no images :(
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I guess neither of you saw iceiceice’s link above.

Anyway, the other day I found a copy of this thread with the missing image* among my file backups from 2008, so I thought I may as well reupload all images to wesnoth.org and fix the URLs in the original post, so you won’t need to use web.archive.org to view the tutorial from now on. I’ve fixed the copy on the wiki as well.

* (web.archive.org was missing three images from the post, but only one of them is an actual picture and the other two are just text links to the full size versions of two other pictures, which I don’t have but are not really that important)

Just be warned that the author of this tutorial hasn’t been around here for years, so if you have any questions it’s extremely unlikely you’ll get an answer from her. There are other people around who have drawn portraits and may be able to assist, though.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Kurumim

Post by Kurumim »

what's the canvas size and resolution that i should use when making/painting portraits?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Kurumim wrote: May 5th, 2019, 11:02 pm what's the canvas size and resolution that i should use when making/painting portraits?
Use whatever works for you. You'll need to scale down to 400-500px per side, so at least 1200x1200 makes sense (as kitty suggests in the first post).
Test it in game: temporarily replace an existing unit portrait, and look up that unit in the help screen. Then look at other unit help pages, see if the image fits in with existing mainline portraits.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Kurumim

Post by Kurumim »

doofus-01 wrote: May 6th, 2019, 1:21 am
Kurumim wrote: May 5th, 2019, 11:02 pm what's the canvas size and resolution that i should use when making/painting portraits?
Use whatever works for you. You'll need to scale down to 400-500px per side, so at least 1200x1200 makes sense (as kitty suggests in the first post).
Test it in game: temporarily replace an existing unit portrait, and look up that unit in the help screen. Then look at other unit help pages, see if the image fits in with existing mainline portraits.
Thanks man. Sorry for being such a noob, im kinda new to all this, but how do i change an existing portrait?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Kurumim wrote: May 6th, 2019, 3:19 am
doofus-01 wrote: May 6th, 2019, 1:21 am
Thanks man. Sorry for being such a noob, im kinda new to all this, but how do i change an existing portrait?
Change the unit's profile value(example), then reload Wesnoth.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code