Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
mesilliac
Developer

Make your own walls!

Post by mesilliac »

Maybe this should go in art workshop... but mainline could use some more indoor wall textures.

Here's a template for interior walls, similar to the new dungeon walls.

YOU can make your own walls :D. House walls / tavern walls / catle walls / manky brick walls, swanky marble walls, futuristic metal spaceship walls, gross alien living walls dripping with alien-bio-juices... I have done the hard work for you!

Included is:
A) wall-template.xcf, a GIMP file containing template images for all wall configurations
B) walls.cfg containing all the relevant terrain macros, as well as the terrain definition.
C) wall-custom-tile.png, an icon for the editor and minimap

Note: if you can't open .xcf files, the template's also available as a photoshop file from http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/download/file.php?id=22282 . It's the same thing as the .xcf file except it's a .psd file :). The instructions below aren't specific to GIMP.

HOW TO USE THEM:
  • Open template file
  • make one of the images visible
  • paint a texture on it
  • make sure only that layer is visible and "Save a Copy", merging visible layers. Be really careful not to "Save" or "Save As" ;)
  • name the COPY "wall-custom-n-ne.png" replacing "n-ne" with whatever the layer was called in the template, and "custom" with whatever you want.
  • do the same for all the layers with directional names in the template file. Note that most of your work can be cut and pasted straight onto the other layers, and a lot of them are straight mirrors of others. It's not as much work as it looks.
To make them work in game:
Edit the END of walls.cfg. Where it says something like "wall-custom" just change it to whatever image prefix you are using.

That's it!

You'll probably have to put "walls.cfg" in your main gamedata folder somewhere for it to show up in the map editor (e.g. in <gamedata>/data/core/terrain-graphics/). The images can go in <userdata>/data/core/images/terrain.

NEW INFO:
If you want to change the background for the walls, add a new 72x72 base image (same size as the tile image) and change "void" in the macro at the end of walls.cfg to the exact name (without .png) of this image. "void" is currently used as a plain black background. You will have to change the black parts of the walls to fit in with it. It's quite easy if you do it last :). The clone tool is your friend.

The wall macros now automatically use random variations for the -n, -n-e and -nw-n facings, if they are available. For variations to be used, they must be named with a number from 2-9 added to the prefix. For example: wall-custom2-n would be used as a random variant of wall-custom-n.

If the variations are numbered sequentially, they will have equal chances of appearing. For example if you use wall-custom, wall-custom2, wall-custom3, wall-custom4, each would have a 25% chance of appearing in any given place.

If you skip numbers, the later ones are less likely to appear.
Attachments
walls.cfg
indoor wall macros
(28.21 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
editor / minimap tile
editor / minimap tile
wall-custom-tile.png (649 Bytes) Viewed 10749 times
wall-template.xcf
indoor wall template
(427.42 KiB) Downloaded 863 times
Last edited by mesilliac on April 23rd, 2008, 8:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: updated walls.cfg to use random variations for some facings
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: Make your own walls!

Post by Espreon »

Interesting, I shall check this out later. My walls would have ice on them, another set would have magma dripping out!

I am sure Shadow Master will take a liking to this, with a bunch of weird fluids dripping out of his walls, for his Shaxthal hives.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ZOMG.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Thats frabagulous...

you might want to wikify these things, and get them included in the tool directories (talk to esr, he is our official toolsmith)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
toms

Post by toms »

Sounds cool. I have to check this out. Seems very useful for user campaigns.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Sounds pretty handy. Might have to download GIMP to take a look.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

nice.

ill start on wooden walls.
kriegblitz

Post by kriegblitz »

Mine doesn't show up i n the map editor!
:shock:
I'm not paralyzed, but I seem to be struck by you
I wanna make you move, because you stand and stare!
And if your body matches what your eyes can do
You'll prob'ly move right through me on my way to you!
-Paralyzed, by Finger 11
mesilliac
Developer

Post by mesilliac »

kriegblitz wrote:Mine doesn't show up i n the map editor!
:shock:
Oh, sorry I forgot to add that you need a tile icon too :oops:.

I'll attach the stone-wall one to the first post. This icon gets used both for the editor and for the minimap. It should be called "wall-custom-tile.png" (or whatever)

@boucman: I'll add a wiki tutorial on this eventually. Including them as a tool is a nice idea. I just want to make sure someone can find them useful first :).

edit: updated the stone wall tile to one that looks like the template walls
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

did some wooden walls. not as great as the dungeon walls. critics welcome?
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Syntax_Error wrote:did some wooden walls. not as great as the dungeon walls. critics welcome?
They're a little soft/blurry. Some sharpening would be of benefit.

Apart from that, they look good. The colour palette is well chosen, and they look believably strong and wooden. They'd probably need a few variations before going into use (having the same crack on every south-facing wall is a little too obvious), but I can see plenty of uses for some wooden walls.

Hmmmm. Come to think of it, if you kept the wooden pillars, and put cavewall in between with maybe a board or two, they would make for an excellent mine-shaft shored up by timber. Of course, it the amount of work required to make them fit in with "normal" cavewall might be excessive.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Espreon wrote:I am sure Shadow Master will take a liking to this, with a bunch of weird fluids dripping out of his walls, for his Shaxthal hives.
Pah, I attempted at one of the facing subframes but I didn't get very far.

I am such a nice guy that, for Photoshop users, I have converted mesilliac's template XCF using the GIMP (2.4). I wonder why Photoshop cannot do the same with XCF files... :hmm: (there should be some LGPL implementation around I think)
Attachments
wall-template.psd.zip
PSD converted template
(62.27 KiB) Downloaded 985 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Shadow Master wrote:
Espreon wrote:I am sure Shadow Master will take a liking to this, with a bunch of weird fluids dripping out of his walls, for his Shaxthal hives.
I am such a nice guy that, for Photoshop users, I have converted mesilliac's template XCF using the GIMP (2.4). I wonder why Photoshop cannot do the same with XCF files... :hmm: (there should be some LGPL implementation around I think)
Hahaha thanks. No GIMP download after all.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

alright, added variations (mesilliac improved the cfg), fixed a missing tile and replaced the "roof". yea the solid part doesnt look all woody, but the more harmless the transitions with stone wall will be.

its pretty much ready by me. anyone wanna commit? :)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Looks great.

I find it fascinating how your new walls interacts with the scale with our current terrain. For instance, our "forest" hexes look like shrubs when placed next to a building constructed with these walls, while the "swamp" hexes even more swampy and realistic.

It really makes you think about the way our arbitrary scales combine (or don't combine) in the mind to produce an internal image of the map.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry