REQUEST - Edits/Polish to scenery items

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Well, villages are in the same perspective as units... and terrain isn't at 90 degrees either, vis mountains and castles. It's not quite the same perspective, but it's similar enough, IMO. Also, I always thought of a magic circle as something in the middle of which one stands, and if they're not in perspective it sort of kills that effect. I specifically remember noticing how odd the out-of-perspective runes looked in SoF.

I can, however, easily create 90 degree versions if that's what's preferred.

In case anyone happens to be interested in such things, looked up our runes, and apparently the six we have are:
  1. Futhorc O
  2. Futhark J
  3. Futhorc J
  4. Futhorc G
  5. Futhorc St
  6. No idea
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

For terrain which is drawn looking down on it from above (like this circle), scaling it to 50% vertically should give it the correct perspective. As far as I can tell the perspective on this magic circle is already correct.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

yobbo wrote:For terrain which is drawn looking down on it from above (like this circle), scaling it to 50% vertically should give it the correct perspective. As far as I can tell the perspective on this magic circle is already correct.
Yes, the perspective on it is correct. :)
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Well then.

These are just the offline ones, lighting them takes a bit more effort ^^;
Attachments
runes.zip
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
She blinded me with science<br />She hit me with tech no lo gy
She blinded me with science
She hit me with tech no lo gy
runic.png (9.65 KiB) Viewed 5176 times
hee hee! - little girl
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

About the Monolith3:
I agree with megane about the snow.
If there's no wind and snow collects on top of the monolith, then it would drop when it gets too high, creating a small pile of snow at the bottom. If it doesn't fall off, then there's no pile at the bottom when there's no wind (beceause snow is falling in an evenly spread way etc.)

So when there's no wind you would have a somewhat irregular shaped pile at the bottom. I might give it a shot after the weekend. I'll post my transparent rubble .png with it.

btw, the magic circles look great, they're indeed very symmetrical to be hand drawn, however, what good magician will draw something by hand?

greetz,
Mathijs
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

-glow versions finished. I hope they look all right...

I tried to get them to recolor, but I don't really know how; I'd really prefer not to have to go over them pixel by pixel in magenta ^^;

@Mathijs: I was trying to make them look like they were sort of magically sketched on the ground with chalk... vis the first episode of Witch Hunter Robin O-o
Attachments
magic.zip
(35.04 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
runetest.png
runetest.png (275.06 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
hee hee! - little girl
Ebob

runeplacing

Post by Ebob »

wouldn't it make more sense to place lit runes on dark spaces and dark runes on light spaces? :shock: just a thought, but the perspective is right on! :)
You should see my staff!
megane
Art Contributor

Re: runeplacing

Post by megane »

Ebob wrote:wouldn't it make more sense to place lit runes on dark spaces and dark runes on light spaces? :shock: just a thought, but the perspective is right on! :)
Well, the only time I've seen them used in mainline -- in SoF -- they start out dark and light up when you stand on them.
hee hee! - little girl
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

Jetryl wrote:Mathjis: Your images look great. Please post any of the ones you haven't posted on a transparent background, as such (rubble for one).
Okido here it is!

EDIT: forgot to say I'm going to give the lighthouse a try...
Attachments
rubble_without_grass.png
rubble_without_grass.png (7.36 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
Last edited by Mathijs on February 26th, 2008, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

someone on irc said the current scenery oaks are awful, so i tried replacements.

they might have too strong contours, and that cant be fixed :( .
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Those look more like willows to me than oaks - they seem to have dangling, trailing branches, whereas oaks tend to have a more circular shape. They're very nice willows though =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

could be willows, could be trees in the peach family.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

I agree, they're looking very nice, but not as a replacment for the oaks

Here's my attempt at a lighthouse in the current style of houses. Comments please :)
Attachments
No fire (daytime?)
No fire (daytime?)
lighthouse.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
Fire (nighttime?)
Fire (nighttime?)
lighthouse_fire.png (7.13 KiB) Viewed 4667 times
Original version
Original version
lighthouse_ori.png (5.14 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I think the aim was to tweak the style of the current image so that it looks more like this one Image while keeping the basic layout of the building the same. Desaturating slightly, particularly the roof, and losing the black outlines are probably the way to go.

Your additions to the human village are well constructed, but seem to be in a slightly different perspective from the rest of the building and share the black outlines of the current lighthouse. And adding fire that is visible without any surround/windows makes it awkward because static fire looks awkward - the fire would have to have a good few frames of animation in order to look good i think.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

thespaceinvader wrote:I think the aim was to tweak the style of the current image so that it looks more like this one *** while keeping the basic layout of the building the same. Desaturating slightly, particularly the roof, and losing the black outlines are probably the way to go.

Your additions to the human village are well constructed, but seem to be in a slightly different perspective from the rest of the building and share the black outlines of the current lighthouse. And adding fire that is visible without any surround/windows makes it awkward because static fire looks awkward - the fire would have to have a good few frames of animation in order to look good i think.
thx for your quick reply,

what style the lighthouse should resemble is debatable IMO, but I would suggest having both a Human as well as an Elvish styled Lighthouse.
The platforms outline needs work indeed, but the tower walls look good IMO and I think the feeling of a wrong perspective could be corrected by shifting the tower a pixel to the upperleft corner. Because now it's onevenly spaced on the roof.
(I also need to add dirt & shadows around the lighthouse, perhaps a pile of wood... :p)
The fire animation is not much of a problem really. There's a fire animation in the scenery directory, and I simply scaled the first frame 50% down so it would fit this scale... Maybe not the best approach, but I suck at drawing fire. If anyone feels like it, go ahead and mod the pic. I won't be able to do anything for at least 2 more days.

grtz,
Mathijs