Don't Forget Walking Corpse Variations

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

irrevenant wrote:Have you considered having bits of the bat flake off as it flies?

As a particularly crappy example:
Wouldn't that just leave the player wondering why the bat doesn't disintegrate without even being attacked?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

turin wrote:Wouldn't that just leave the player wondering why the bat doesn't disintegrate without even being attacked?
No.

- Chris
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

turin wrote:
irrevenant wrote:Have you considered having bits of the bat flake off as it flies?
Wouldn't that just leave the player wondering why the bat doesn't disintegrate without even being attacked?
If whole wings were falling off I'd agree with you, but with minor flaking/crumbling, I doubt it.

I wouldn't suggest it for all the WCs, but since bats are particularly animated (ie. they flap rather than shuffle) it seems appropriate.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Re: Don´t forget alking corpse variations

Post by Neoskel »

The funny thing about the animation you have now is that the ears lengthen and shorten as it flies. Now, what would the soulless version look like?
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Neoskel wrote:The funny thing about the animation you have now is that the ears lengthen and shorten as it flies.
That's taken straight from the normal bat.
Now, what would the soulless version look like?
I was thinking wide open mouth, glowing eyes, and perhaps odd spikes on the wings... soullesses look kinda mutated.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

These look great. I wasn't expecting anyone to take these on, and it's a pleasant surprise. Please do continue; I'll see to it they're committed.

As for the bats - you don't need to make any attack animation for them, nor a defense animation. Because they need to flap, they're already going to need to break with the macro used for the others, so we may as well also imitate the way the regular bats reuse the flapping frames to attack/defend. The first 3 frames of the death animation (transitioning into the "global walking corpse death animation frames 4-10") would be nice, though.

North-facing frames, if you want to make them, will be accepted. Since we already have the north-attack frames for all the other units, we'll eventually want to upgrade the walking corpses to have them, so we may as well polish it off now. (Since the n-attack frames are done, it should actually be rather easy to make north-standing frames.) Not a huge priority - I'm not touching it for some time, but we may as well tackle the bats right now.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

:eng:
Attachments
zombie-bat-die.gif
zombie-bat-die.gif (4.5 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
zombie-bat-die.zip
(5.28 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I've committed these images, but I'm waiting on committing the .cfg file till more images are done. "Someone else" is completely welcome to commit that instead of me, by all means.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Re:

Post by Neoskel »

thespaceinvader wrote:Possibly evil to code and horribly unbalanced, but the Gryphon Rider and Wolf Rider seem to me like they should turn into a Creature Zombie AND a Rider Zombie - it wouldn't make much sense to the necromancer to keep the rider attached to its mount, but equally, what sensible necromancer would let a perfectly good rider's corpse go to waste?

However, the current Mounted Corpse sprite disagrees with both of us...
Well, the Gryphon rider doesn't even have a name. It uses the Gryphon's name. That shows how inconsequential the rider is. :P

In both cases the mount is the one doing the actual fighting (the rider just directs it), the mount would be the target of the attack and the rider would probably be crushed to death by the corpse of his mount or tossed and break his neck in the struggle (or even survive and slip away unnoticed :roll: ). In the case of the WC horseman, the horse is not fighting (well a really good horseman would let his horse do some of the fighting but not in Wesnoth...), so the rider is the target of the attack and in the process of being zombified the horse is also zombified (they have to basically claw their way up the horse to the rider) or he immediately zombifies his horse once himself zombified.

Well thats my explanation.

And i would also like to see a goblin WC. :D

Edit: So i tried and made one
Last edited by Neoskel on March 26th, 2008, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Double post for gobbie zombie.

Traced over the gobbie spearman and used colors from WC. A step up from frankensteining but not a big one.

Yay for zombies! and the probability that someone will improve this
Attachments
Bleargh!
Bleargh!
gobbie zombie.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Last edited by Neoskel on March 26th, 2008, 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Neoskel wrote:Double post for gobbie zombie.

Traced over the gobbie spearman and used colors from WC. A step up from frankensteining but not a big one.

Yay for zombies!
AWESOME!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

very good indeed....

do you have the other frames in the making ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

That sprite is great. So great that I cannot wait to slam it with my fists. :twisted: (As in "I'm a troll and I squash you").
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
rod

Post by rod »

His arms are very thick, if you frankensteined the goblin spearman he would end up like this though because the goblin spearman wears gloves and plate armour.

Just suggesting that you make his arm a bit thinner.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

rod wrote:His arms are very thick, if you frankensteined the goblin spearman he would end up like this though because the goblin spearman wears gloves and plate armour.

Just suggesting that you make his arm a bit thinner.
The spearman has no armor on his arms...