REQUEST - Inbetween frames for Yeti

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

REQUEST - Inbetween frames for Yeti

Post by Jetrel »

The Yeti could use three additional frames.

Right now his attack animation has three frames - it could use a new frame between the current attack-1 and attack-2, and another new frame between attack-2 and attack-3. It could also use another inbetween frame between the standing image, and the defense frame.

Because of how hard this is, I suggest that those helping out take on only one frame at a time, and announce which one they're doing in this thread before they do it. This will involve drawing a number of his body parts partly from scratch - don't get too worried if you're having trouble with the hands - I can bail you out if that's getting difficult; just see if you can get the body mostly in place.

Good luck. :D
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Jetryl wrote:Right now his attack animation has three frames - it could use a new frame between the current attack-1 and attack-2, and another new frame between attack-2 and attack-3. It could also use another inbetween frame between the standing image, and the defense frame.
I actually started with the inbetween frames for the attack some time ago. I'll get them done this weekend. Sorry I haven't informed you on this.

I've done nothing for the defence animation: It's free for anyone to tackle.
I wish I had more time in my hands.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: REQUEST - Inbetween frames for Yeti

Post by zookeeper »

Jetryl wrote:The Yeti could use three additional frames.

Right now his attack animation has three frames - it could use a new frame between the current attack-1 and attack-2, and another new frame between attack-2 and attack-3.
Shouldn't it most of all get transition frames between the attack animation itself and the base frame? The jump from attack-3 to the base frame at least is much more pronounced than any other.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

zookeeper wrote:
Jetryl wrote:The Yeti could use three additional frames.

Right now his attack animation has three frames - it could use a new frame between the current attack-1 and attack-2, and another new frame between attack-2 and attack-3.
Shouldn't it most of all get transition frames between the attack animation itself and the base frame? The jump from attack-3 to the base frame at least is much more pronounced than any other.
Yeah, that's true; I was just trying not to intimidate people. Since that amounts to twice as many frames as we've currently got.

:roll: /me mutters something about the metaphor of boiling a frog.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Here you go.
I apologise for the missing (and perhaps most wanted) frames 1 and 7. There never seems to be anough time. :|

This thing still needs another defence frame.
EDIT: Can't seem to attach anything. Damn.
Let's do it the hard way then:
I hope the swoosh is ok there.
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

In the fourth frame, the hair at the top of the arm seems rather odd, like the aarm isn't in line with the shoulder.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

How come only the arm is moving? According to the last frame, the yeti is putting all of its weight behind the blow.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Neoskel wrote:How come only the arm is moving? According to the last frame, the yeti is putting all of its weight behind the blow.
looks more like he's bowling, but if you look carefully you can see that his legs and left arm move as well, just its more subtle
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

i really like the yeti! it's awesome!
one tiny thing bugs me to no end - his right hand in the second frame. it appears to be obviously smaller than in the first and third frame. i don't think that this could be due to perspective as the first one's arm is further behind but the hand is still bigger...
but again - that's only a tiny quibble, i love him!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I've seen these, now, but it'll be a night or two before I can commit (I'm gonna add a frame or two for the drawback of the hand, and tweak the size of that hand, like kitty noted). I also may exaggerate that motion blur you did there - applying it to another few frames. Thanks a ton, Eternal! These look great.

And in fact they'll look even more smooth after the commit, because I can now use offsets to limit the movement of his body across the hexes - which befits his long reach.

There never seems to be anough time. :|
I hear you, man. :|
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

I don't know if what I'm going is already known and totally obvious but : in animations, we (users) don't have time to see all the details of every frame, so it doesn't seem as important to have a perfectly accurate sprite as in a standing pose. So, for critics, I think it would be better to have a look at the whole animation than a frame per frame look.

I'm saying that because while kitty is right to tell that the hand is smaller, I feel that maybe it's better in the animation to make it look smaller. It would slightly increase the effect of perspective and make us feel the hand really comes from behind the body, without making the animation lame. I might be wrong, but I don't remember getting shocked last time I saw the yeti attack, thus my humble request for having a look at the animation along the frames, thinking that it would help you (art critics) to make a better judgement.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

here is the animated yeti as gif with 200ms between the frames.

made by eternal.
Attachments
yeti_animation.xcf
(64.76 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
yeti_animation.gif
yeti_animation.gif (9.54 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

...?