Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Desert Elves

Post by Federalist marshal »

As far as I know, the desert elves in UTBS still use sprites based on now-outdated elvish sprites. So here's my attempt at modifying current elf sprites to replace them. Unless they've already been replaced, of which I do not know of.

As for the sprite itself, what bothers me most right now is the non-transparent shadow, which I don't know how to fix.
Attachments
DesertFighter.PNG
DesertFighter.PNG (1.92 KiB) Viewed 9891 times
megane
Art Contributor

Re: Desert Elves

Post by megane »

Federalist marshal wrote:As for the sprite itself, what bothers me most right now is the non-transparent shadow, which I don't know how to fix.
What editing program are you using? If yours doesn't do transparency, you might want to use the GIMP.

There's a shadow tutorial here.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Personally I would prefer them to not be pure recolorings of the current wood elves, but more desert like, and not just in color. The basic sprite can stay the same, but how about things like 1) More tanned skin 2) Short sleeves/shorts 3) different headgear? turban maybe 4) Different swords - apparently the current ones are made of wood, which I doubt is very abundant for UtBS elves.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

I remember someone else was working on this project. He made an Elvish Captain or Hero with shortened sleeves and a TCed bandanna covering his mouth.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Urs wrote:4) Different swords - apparently the current ones are made of wood
I want to know who first said this and if it's canon. I know I heard it before but as I recall it was from someone with no special authority saying what their interpretation of the sprite was. I recall Jetryl saying something to the effect of wood being used in Elvish armor, but I don't think he mentioned wooden swords, and the attack icons look like metal.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Someone of authority eh?
I'm the maintainer of UtBS, so I should do.

There is no cannon that would include UtBS, at the moment it stands out from the rest in quite a lot of places.

So yes, if somebody wants to redo the sprites I'm all for it. With the following restrictions :
I would not want them to be clones of standart elves (to the extent of completely redoing druid line, they should work with sand, wind and bone not plants, animals and thorns)
Wood should be extremely rare
Steel should be rare and limited to weapons on above lvl1 sprites
Prefered material for armor and other accesories is bone
Turbans might be good, headscarves might be better
Tanned skin is a must
Short sleeves a misunderstanding, AFAIK surviving on the desert requires long clothes covering the body in bright tones - in this case melting with sand.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

So long as I don't have to remake the sprites completely from scratch, I think that's doable with my existing skills and resources.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Master Stilgar wrote:
Urs wrote:4) Different swords - apparently the current ones are made of wood
I want to know who first said this and if it's canon. I know I heard it before but as I recall it was from someone with no special authority saying what their interpretation of the sprite was. I recall Jetryl saying something to the effect of wood being used in Elvish armor, but I don't think he mentioned wooden swords, and the attack icons look like metal.
Elves do not have any unusual uses of wood in their weapons. At least, not any that we've come up with yet.

I -had- thought of wood elves grooming special trees to produce superdense, and/or arrow-catching (like kevlar does for bullets) wood. Stuff that would make excellent shields, and would make, especially when combined with leather and bits of metal, excellent armor. Whether they actually do that is up in the air; it would take corresponding portrait art to make it canon.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Jetryl wrote:
Master Stilgar wrote: I want to know who first said this and if it's canon. I know I heard it before but as I recall it was from someone with no special authority saying what their interpretation of the sprite was. I recall Jetryl saying something to the effect of wood being used in Elvish armor, but I don't think he mentioned wooden swords, and the attack icons look like metal.
Elves do not have any unusual uses of wood in their weapons. At least, not any that we've come up with yet.
huh. Out of curiosity, what are they made of? Bone doesn't seem to be right, it doesn't really look like it, and elves don't appear to be the kinds of people who make weapons out of bone anyway. For being metal, the color doesn't really make sense - I see why loyalists have blue-ish metal armor, with it reflecting the color of the sky and all, but I have no idea what this would be reflecting.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Some sort of ceramic substance? :P
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Shadow Master (with a very small amount of help from me) created a Desert Elf Captain unit a while back.

It would probably be a good to use as a model for the Desert Elf fighter:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 016#252016

[EDIT] Just noticed that ScienceGuy8 mentioned it above. Thanks SG8. :)
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

So why didn't those sprites get used?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Because it would look stupid having just one of the Desert Elves look like that while the rest of them look like what they're currently like...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Also because only a standing frame ever got made - to get into the game it would need a LOT more than that...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Here's a marginally "improved" version of the previous sprite. I tried to make the sword and shield look more like bone, and gave him the banana from the Captain. I also forgot to give him tanned skin. I will definitely have to depend on the criticism from all of you to improve this one.
Perhaps the biggest thing I need to perfect is how to make everything look like bone.
Attachments
DesertFighter2.PNG
DesertFighter2.PNG (1.87 KiB) Viewed 9611 times