Desert Elves

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
scienceguy8

Re: Desert Elves

Post by scienceguy8 »

Lose the standard. I always hated that thing. It is completely impractical to haul that thing into battle and to fight effectively. Either strap it to his back like the regular Elvish Captain or forget it. Personally I would go with the round shield.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
DSollick

Post by DSollick »

That big thing is called a standard?

I never knew what the heck it was. I just thought it looked cool :)

I agree with ScienceGuy with the fact that he probably shouldn't be randomly holding that huge thing, unless it goes somewhere, like strapped to the back.

If you do keep it, it needs some more shading -- it looks to solid and unrealistic.

Great work on these, by the way!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Maybe he holds the standard up while doing leadership, as opposed to the already-done-a-billion-times-before raising of the sword? Then it's on his back most of the time.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

Indeed, it does seem a bit inconvenient for the Captain to be carrying that large banner around. But I really don't know any other way for him to be significantly different from the fighter.

Also, Mist requested that I move the banner from his back to his hand.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Well, there is more than one way to draw a banner. The banner might be attached to the side of the pole, it might also consist of a few long and thin stripes of cloth, the banner might be triangular. I did not request the same banner as orc soveregin has ;) Play a bit with that, it might not be easy to draw, but drawing a different banner will be much easier than doing an animation in which the banner is unstraped from his back and waved. And I still think that having him hold it in hand will look better than having him strap it to the back.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Shouldn't the banner be, you know, colorful, rather than the same tan color their clothing is?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

New banner; I used the Marshal/Captain's banner as a reference and played with it a bit. The bottom part is still that of the sovereign's banner, though.
Attachments
DesertCaptain5.png
DesertCaptain5.png (5.96 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

That looks much better. something's a bit up with his arm, though. To fix it, i'd bring the foot of the banner down and out to the left by about 2-3 pixels each, move his hand down a bit, and make sure that he has an upper arm - currently it looks like his arm sprouts from about ab level, and begins at the elbow.

The banner's great, though. I hope it's possible to make a decent set of animations that don't look as awkward as the Sovereign's.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

there is a problem with the arm, you don't hold a banner that way, it's tiring... you usually have your arm partly folded...

apart from that it looks great
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Rough version of Captain's attack frame. Evidently needs some work. I'm pondering whether I should even keep the banner in the attack frames.
Attachments
DesertCaptain-attack.png
DesertCaptain-attack.png (5.72 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

My suggestion, as i said earlier, would be to make a small animation of him dropping the banner and (depending on attack type) holding the sword two-handed, or drawing his bow. Then use those frames (either removing the banner entirely or possible keeping it as a separate image) as a basis for the animation. MIght be rather more difficult to do, though.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

You can do the banner as a halo during his melee frames, so he would stick it in the ground and leave it behind to go stab them.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Except for the minor issue that Halos can't be TC'd...
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I have to look at TC handling in sub-frames, it will work eventually, but doesn't in 1.4
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

thespaceinvader wrote:My suggestion, as i said earlier, would be to make a small animation of him dropping the banner and (depending on attack type) holding the sword two-handed, or drawing his bow. Then use those frames (either removing the banner entirely or possible keeping it as a separate image) as a basis for the animation. MIght be rather more difficult to do, though.
Has something to that effect been done before?