Desert Elves

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

Should I use megane's hunter as reference for my fighter? I can't really tell if it's at the right angle this time.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

I'm not sure this is an improvement...
Attachments
DesertFighter13.png
DesertFighter13.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 3826 times
theotherhiveking

Post by theotherhiveking »

Federalist marshal wrote:I'm not sure this is an improvement...
His chest looks bad.

Imho is not an improvement.
Join the dark side.....- We have cookies. COOKIES!! COOKIES MAN!!!! JOIN!!!
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

This time I had simply redone what I did last time. I was hoping a bit more advice would be posted but so far the thread has been rather stagnant.
Attachments
DesertFighter14.png
DesertFighter14.png (4.73 KiB) Viewed 3618 times
Karo

Post by Karo »

Well, the chest looks a lot better. However, I'd shift it over a pixel or two away from the sword arm. Right now the centre of the torso is not aligned with the central line of the face.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

I will assume that there is nothing else left to do on the fighter now...perhaps I should get to work on the archers.
Attachments
DesertFighter15.png
DesertFighter15.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

It needs at least one attack, defence and death frame. This is not my idea but a requirement for any unit supposed to be in a mainline campaign.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

*Slaps head* I completely forgot about that.

I'll get to work on a melee frame, a defend frame, and a ranged frame, then.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Wow, this guy is looking really good, F_Marshall! Glad to see you are committed to helping UtBS out!

sorry about people's lack of comments, but sprite art is harder to (at least for me) help people with than portraits, because it more removed from reality--there are deliberate proportion changes, less clear details, etc.

anywho, my suggestions would be:

1. The TC'ed face cover looks like it could use more midtone, rather than that streak of highlight and then dark. I think that less pronounced highlighting (done by lightening the mid color, rather than darkening the highlights) will help with that.

2. His non sword hand could use some more definition.

3. The TC on the belt seems to be missing sme pixels towards the top center. Is this intentional?
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Minor improvements this time. He looks less crude now, IMO. But otherwise I haven't changed anything content-wise.
Comments and criticism more than welcome.

EDIT: I don't know why, but when I upload the image the shoulderpad on his right arm seems to get distorted. The file preview on my computer shows the shoulderpad as I want it. What went wrong?
Attachments
DesertFighter16.png
DesertFighter16.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Federalist marshal wrote:EDIT: I don't know why, but when I upload the image the shoulderpad on his right arm seems to get distorted. The file preview on my computer shows the shoulderpad as I want it. What went wrong?
My guess is it looks different 'cos it's against a transparent background on your PC and overlayed on the blue-gray forum background when you post.

BTW, the blade appears to have drifted from over the hilt again. Here's a tweak.
Attachments
desertfighter16_167.png
desertfighter16_167.png (4.89 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

irrevenant wrote:y guess is it looks different 'cos it's against a transparent background on your PC and overlayed on the blue-gray forum background when you post.

Well, how would I fix it, then? And why hasn't it happened in previous sprites?
Assuming that everything else is fine, should I or should I not get to work on the attack/defend/ranged frames?

And forgive me from straying from the topic of the sprite itself, but one of the things that concerns me here is the aforementioned stagnance of this thread. I'd really like to get this finished, and at one point things were going quite smoothly with all the constructive criticism and cooperation of Karo and megane. I'd appreciate it if we could get this project running more smoothly again.
Karo

Post by Karo »

A sprite of Nym, drawn to the specifications Mist gave me (not the pose - that was entirely my devilry). I also posted this on the Organized Art thread in the Art Workshop for additional feedback.
Attachments
Forgive my crappy centering abilities
Forgive my crappy centering abilities
nym.png (1.72 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

I've refined further the base sprite, and made an attack frame. This is my first time working on an attack frame, so I will probably need some help in refining it.
@Karo: Nice work, but IMO she should be standing in a more generic stance...
Attachments
DesertFighter17.png
DesertFighter17.png (4.78 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
DesertFighter-attack.png
DesertFighter-attack.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
Karo

Post by Karo »

Federalist marshal wrote:@Karo: Nice work, but IMO she should be standing in a more generic stance...
She's a hero unit, so she deserves a heroic pose. ;D

Good attack frame. Only problem is the off-hand arm. It stays in the same place as the base frame, which I didn't like much to begin with. Perhaps you should have it stick out to the side, to act as a counter balance to the swinging sword.