Human Footpad

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

you did the right thing. He wasn't supposed to be fat. the confusion was from the having an original chin idea that didn't fully erase.

@TL: I *think* that may be due to not seeing enough of the hand/handle, but I'll look into it.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Thrawn wrote:you did the right thing. He wasn't supposed to be fat.
how conflicting :augh:

time for an edit
Attachments
human-footpad2.png
human-footpad2.png (50.82 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

oh, I see *facepalms self*.

I didn't see that as fat as much as just protruding chin--wow.

I like this one better...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

there is a problem with your pose, I'll try to explain, but I'm not an artist, so I may be wrong in my explanations...

if you remove the eyes, the neck position make us think that he is looking to our right...

however, portraits are supposed to be (more or less) looking at us. To compensate the previous, you move the right too much to (our) left.

this doesn't work. Usually, we look straightward, i.e in the direction pinted by our noses..

pinting your head in one direction and turning the eyes the other way to compensate is not a natrual pose...

I hope I was clear enough... :oops:
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

don't worry, you were perfectly clear :D

However, the pose was intended to look that way. Having a person look sideways at you is a common tool to show shiftiness and/or cautiousness--he's both looking back behind him and looking towards you.

--I now it isn't straightforward, but it was intended.

*of course, I can change it if I have to*

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Trouble with this is, i think, that it's just a REALLY awkward pose to maintain - his shoulders are pointing slightly off to our left, and his head's turned right round to our right. Try the pose for yourself - it's really not that comfortable, and certainly not holdable for too long. So it doesn't look shifty, it just looks awkward. A better pose IMO would be almost completely side on, looking at us from over the front shoulder - this is a very guarded pose, minimising the amount of body on show to the viewer, and still looking at us sideways. Or even just turning his shoulders so they're either front on or point slightly to viewer right, with his head still pointed the way it is - then it's a comfortable position.

The idea's good, but the pose jut looks too uncomfortable to maintain for long, and a portrait of someone is in a pose they appear to be maintaining indefinitely.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Risc OS

Post by Risc OS »

It looks like his hair (beteen his right ear and right eye) is being pulled down by an invisible hand.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

There's also the problem that the adam's apple doesn't really follow the head when it's rotated.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:There's also the problem that the adam's apple doesn't really follow the head when it's rotated.
:!:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Kestenvarn wrote:
Sgt. Groovy wrote:There's also the problem that the adam's apple doesn't really follow the head when it's rotated.
:!:
:o Jiminy cricket. I hadn't learned that one, myself, but now that you state it, it seems so obvious. I'll remember that.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Jetryl wrote:
Kestenvarn wrote: :!:
:o Jiminy cricket. I hadn't learned that one, myself, but now that you state it, it seems so obvious. I'll remember that.
I remember you telling someone else that--yeah memory lapses <_<

vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Hey, cool drawing! I think either his neck is much too thick or his face needs some adustment to the right side. With SVG this is no problem to move the nodes where you want them. Tweaking made easy. :8
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Started looking up some neck references for toughs. Kinda surprised - the neck is a bit difficult to draw with just lines since it is mostly smooth. I don't much like that bit of hair either but was trying to at least stay somewhat close to the original.

Probably messed up, too. Were you planning to give him another pose?

horrible shading ahoy
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

unless I have to, no. Even if it seems awkward, it conveys the attitude of the unit.

Thanks for being so obliging with this, Kest !!

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

The nose point seems a bit far to our right. Where it is located would be the side of his nose, not the tip.