Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
TERRMITh

Skeleton Warrior portrait

Post by TERRMITh »

Hi,
what do you think about my portrait for skeleton warrior? Its not done yet, I would like to know if I should continue or toss it away and return to playing Wesnoth campaign since i suck in drawing :)
Attachments
skeleton.png
skeleton.png (25.13 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ok, I'll be brief in listing the things which are off:

1. It's from the side, unlike (almost) all the other portraits.

2. You shouldn't exaggerate the proportions quite so much (the size of the teeth, the huge skull when compared to the arms and hands).

3. Would need a bit more shading on the arms.

That's pretty much all I can say.

It's not good enough as it is (unless some specific campaign author wants to use it), but I'd say your drawing doesn't really suck either. You could try making another one with a different perspective and less exaggerated proportions if you're aiming for a generic skeleton portrait.

It reminds me a bit of the TRoW portraits. That is, stylistically it'd probably be fine, but it'd need the company of other similarly styled portraits (like, for instance, if all the portraits of some campaign were in the same style).
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

What zookeeper said, plus the ribs are weird, there should be gaps between them. But do try another perspective.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
TERRMITh

Post by TERRMITh »

Thanks for feedback, next time, Iĺl try it from different side. Didnt know that side look isnt alright, but youre right. Should realize, that there are no portraits like this.
Ive made several changes to the picture. What should I improve next and be aware of next time, except for the side-look?
Attachments
skeleton2.png
skeleton2.png (32.82 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

The head is oversized while the hands are too small. If you could fix this I think it would make a pretty good portrait.
The saliva is perhaps overdone though.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
TERRMITh

Post by TERRMITh »

like this?
Attachments
skeleton2.png
skeleton2.png (31.52 KiB) Viewed 4256 times
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Almost the hand should contain a weapon compleatly.
The cannon is still more fitting for a Neanderthal than a common human. Too exaggerated basically.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The had is in perfect profile, the top jaw doesn't need a shaded sillhouette for the further away half.

Yeah, a skeleton doesn't have salivary glands, so no saliva.

The bottom jaw looks much bigger than the rest of the head - i think it could do with shrinking a bit.

There's not enough contrast on the axe - it looks plastic.

And overall, it's too tidy and clean - you're talking about a long-dead-and-buried corpse, here. More cracks, more dust, more general dirt. Maybe some dangly weeds, spider webs, something like that. Also, it could stand to be darker.

The colouring technique's good, though. Nice work.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

thespaceinvader wrote:The had is in perfect profile, the top jaw doesn't need a shaded sillhouette for the further away half.

Yeah, a skeleton doesn't have salivary glands, so no saliva.

The bottom jaw looks much bigger than the rest of the head - i think it could do with shrinking a bit.

There's not enough contrast on the axe - it looks plastic.

And overall, it's too tidy and clean - you're talking about a long-dead-and-buried corpse, here. More cracks, more dust, more general dirt. Maybe some dangly weeds, spider webs, something like that. Also, it could stand to be darker.

The colouring technique's good, though. Nice work.
Ditto.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Also, i'd be willing to wager that Jetryl would say that the line weight has not got enough variance.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
TERRMITh

Post by TERRMITh »

alriiiiight, one more shot :)
Attachments
skeleton4.png
skeleton4.png (38.81 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Better. I'd probably go for a bit of noise in the colouring of the bones, and still more contrast on the axe, but it's getting there to my mind.

On the basics, i'm not a fan of the side-on pose either. But that's not massively important, here.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

A little better, but it looks like he finished eating a mudball. And he looks more like a sabertoothed tiger than a human skeleton. Don't make the angle of his head so awkward. I really don't like the side profile either.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Didnt know that side look isnt alright
Totally profile or head-on usually (like 99% of the time) produce poor portraits. If you look here, or any museum where portraits are displayed, you'll notice that very few are frontals or profiles (and frontals are often non-usual poses or illuminated starkly from side). That's just how it works.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:
Didnt know that side look isnt alright
Totally profile or head-on usually (like 99% of the time) produce poor portraits. If you look here, or any museum where portraits are displayed, you'll notice that very few are frontals or profiles (and frontals are often non-usual poses or illuminated starkly from side). That's just how it works.
Agreed, and I've also discovered this tends to hurt sprites as well. This will heavily affect our efforts to make north-facing sprites (basically, we can get away with having a base frame for NE only, and in fact might do -better- having just a NE base frame, than having both NE and N.)

I don't know why this happens, although it might be how different these "corner cases" tend to be from the other 90% of possible angles a person can face from - especially when a person is directly side-on.