Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Urs
Art Contributor

Ghost unit

Post by Urs » August 11th, 2007, 7:55 pm

First off, I would like to say that I in no way mean to (negatively) criticize the ghost - related work of Jetryl/Wayfarer. They are much better artists than me.

That said, I did make a new dark adept/sidhe/Jetryl inspired ghost. Basically, I made it a) to take a quick, short, one unit break from Orbivm, b) for the fun of it and c) 'cause I wanted to try my own hand at something undead. d) for practice

I'm not expecting this unit to go far - I just wanted to throw it out there.

@ Oreb / Turin - I'm not giving up on the sidhe/high elves! I just needed a quick break.

Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy » August 11th, 2007, 8:10 pm

Sorry, but to me it looks like a Jawa wading waist deep with some gadget in his hand.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.

Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs » August 11th, 2007, 8:15 pm

Jawa! No wonder I was thinking 'this looks really familiar to me'. About the hands....

:arrow: EDIT: I gave him some highlights, so that he looks less like a floating mass of black cloaks.

Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master » August 12th, 2007, 1:30 am

That's better than the first. My only gripe is it is not ghostly (I.E. transparent). Right now it appears to be more substancial than an actual ghost. The hands and face are kinda blah too.

Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs » August 12th, 2007, 1:42 am

He is transparent:

And I'm pretty sure the version I put on background here is the same as the one above.

Also, you cant see much of the face, and I tried to make his hands show the drain ability.

wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer » August 12th, 2007, 8:57 am

The colors are right nice dark but the upper body lacks some shading and highlights.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields

Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs » August 12th, 2007, 5:36 pm

The upper body, or the upper part of the upper body? (Im not sure if the swirl counts as part of the body)

:arrow: EDIT: Is this guy missing anything big or small? Basically, what can I do to make him better? Comments? Critiques? Suggestions? Flames? 'Cause the amount of feedback I've received so far is pretty low...

Shadow

Post by Shadow » August 13th, 2007, 5:18 pm

In the past everything was better you couldn't post stuff without being beaten down with 10 replies.

Basicly I hate semi transparent stuff very unthankfull to work with. You need to add more contrast to your sprites.
So that the single parts stand out and amplify each other.
You can probably do much more with the sprite I just tried a small edit.
Just keep experimenting with it and don't get nailed with black alone. Sometimes different color combinations work very well together.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes

Elerium

Post by Elerium » August 13th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Sorta reminds me of some.. undead genie or undead air elemental.. alternate wraith?

Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs » August 13th, 2007, 5:55 pm

You need to add more contrast to your sprites.
Thanks ... I read about this on your art blog, I really should work into my sprites.
don't get nailed with black alone. Sometimes different color combinations work very well together.
I semi learned my lesson with black hair, but I tend to shift to dark grey instead of, for example, dark green which sometimes looks a lot better.
You can probably do much more with the sprite I just tried a small edit.
:)