Solidifying the void - nondev version

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
tsr

Post by tsr »

SkeletonCrew wrote:Now that 1.3.6 has been released with this version of the border it would be nice to get some feedback...
Well, one thing that bothers me is that on maps of odd height (example: Loris height 25hexes), the north border is made of shroud and this new border (which imho is a major improvement), instead of just the new border that I would expect.

Also, as I understood the wood-thingy, it was going to be able to surround non-square maps in a nice way, but this system just doesn't do that (at least not on for example isars).

Feel free to disregard the last comment is me just being misinformed, but I'd like some thoughts on the first one anyhow.

/tsr
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

tsr wrote:Well, one thing that bothers me is that on maps of odd height (example: Loris height 25hexes), the north border is made of shroud and this new border (which imho is a major improvement), instead of just the new border that I would expect.
Hmm I haven't seen this on any other map (I still have an idea what causes it). This's a bug I was unaware of, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
tsr wrote:Also, as I understood the wood-thingy, it was going to be able to surround non-square maps in a nice way, but this system just doesn't do that (at least not on for example isars).
Yes but for the first proof-of-concept I only did that change to hexcake other maps will follow later. You can also change it in the editor yourself to see how it looks, it's the first tile in the editor.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

SkeletonCrew wrote:
tsr wrote:Well, one thing that bothers me is that on maps of odd height (example: Loris height 25hexes), the north border is made of shroud and this new border (which imho is a major improvement), instead of just the new border that I would expect.
Hmm I haven't seen this on any other map (I still have an idea what causes it). This's a bug I was unaware of, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
No bug after all; the map has some void tiles in the top row, this has been fixed.
SkeletonCrew wrote:
tsr wrote:Also, as I understood the wood-thingy, it was going to be able to surround non-square maps in a nice way, but this system just doesn't do that (at least not on for example isars).
Yes but for the first proof-of-concept I only did that change to hexcake other maps will follow later. You can also change it in the editor yourself to see how it looks, it's the first tile in the editor.
This has also be done on all maps.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I glanced at this thread when it was first posted and I've been meaning to get back to it.

Wow. I can't believe you guys like this fade-to-black better than the 1.3.4-ish wood background.

I actually quite liked the tabletop look, regardless of any immersion issues. The fadeout has got to be the ugliest part of current Wesnoth (apologies anyone involved for the harsh words). This is not to mention how fadeout hexes can sometimes look like they are reachable because they don't get the non-reachable shading.

You guys probably don't care, but, if this is how it's going to stay, I'm likely going to add a hex border of "none" around all my maps.
DDR

Post by DDR »

Ken Oh, you have voiced my thoughts well.

I think that, instead of a background void picture thingy, that the void should be a regular tile. It stands up about as high as cave wall, looks like burnished wood, perhaps a desk, and should fit in with info panels.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Ken Oh wrote: Wow. I can't believe you guys like this fade-to-black better than the 1.3.4-ish wood background.

I actually quite liked the tabletop look, regardless of any immersion issues. The fadeout has got to be the ugliest part of current Wesnoth (apologies anyone involved for the harsh words).
Allow me to express equal shock at your opinion. I found the wood grain particularly unpleasant. The main problem I had is how it did not match the surrounding UI. If someone were to totally reskin the UI with wood in mind, then it might look better.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Pipgirl

Post by Pipgirl »

I must say that I also really liked the aesthetic the wood background provided. I think in order to make it fit in with the UI (which is unneccessary in my opinion, since I just view the wood texture as any other terrain tile, not particularly having to fit in with the way the UI looks) the wood texture could just be desaturated and hue-changed to match the stone UI texture.
Sorrow

Post by Sorrow »

Same, loved the wood, sad it is gone.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The wood looked terrible, and I wasn't even the one who pushed for it's removal. Good riddance.
DDR

Post by DDR »

Why was it wood, instead of the black stuff they use in the side panel background?