Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
hunz

Faction-specific flags

Post by hunz »

Hey good people. :)

I made a "flag" for Undead faction - actually it's not a flag, but work as identifier for villages.

Hope you like it.

Hugs,
Peace.
Attachments
flag-undead-1.png
flag-undead-1.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
flag-undead-2.png
flag-undead-2.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 5310 times
flag-undead-3.png
flag-undead-3.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 5308 times
flag-undead-4.png
flag-undead-4.png (2.78 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'm not sure a tcolored fire is the way to go. Some colors would just look too weird.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

im not sure about the specific animation - but i actually like the idea of faction-specific village-flags.

it might change gameplay a very little bit - imagine, currently, when fog is on and enemy doesnt know your race yet and sees your village, he/she wouldnt get to know your race, but if the flags were faction-specific, he/she would know. but the difference is quite marginal, really.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yes, we will add faction-specific flags when we get them done (for the default era factions). Help with that is appreciated, the previous thread where flags were sketched would be this one.
hunz

Post by hunz »

My intention was to make a "color" smoke, but I'm not a good artist at all, so I stick with the flame.

Undeads remember me of "dark magic" and a magical smoke/fire should fit it, or not?

Hugs,
Peace.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I don't think the flame thing is a horrible idea, but I think it'd also be rather hard to pull off so it'd look good. I haven't tried these ones in-game though, so I don't know how far from good enough these would be. It might be a better idea to make the flame smaller and put it on top of a pole, sort of like how the other flags are.
hunz

Post by hunz »

What about something like this?
Attachments
flag-1.png
flag-1.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
flag-2.png
flag-2.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
flag-3.png
flag-3.png (1.72 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
flag-4.png
flag-4.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

The concept looks good to me, but the holes look a bit too regular in the implementation (they look like neat circles cut in the cloth rather than ragged holes).
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

I agree with irrevenant, but that was only when I took a close look. Not to bad, really.
Maybe adding some loose strings at the tip of the cloth? Don't know of that's do able...

also, the bone looks like it's held up by some magical force. Maybe removing the lower bit (the two 'nobs')?

greetz,
mat
toms

Post by toms »

It doesn't really disturb me, but the giant bones make actually no sense.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'd actually like to see less of the "ooh we use bones for our architecture look at us aint we scary" version of the Undead. That would mean not using a random giant bone for a flagpole.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Heh, would you believe I didn't even notice the giant bone. Yeh, that's kinda tacky. I think the basic idea behind the flag itself is good though.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

turin wrote:"ooh we use bones for our architecture look at us aint we scary"
what do you suggest we use? I wonder what we could use that would be 'undeadish' and not incorporating something of a skeleton/carcas/... because THE thing with undead is that they are un-dead...

You could ofcourse use wood with carvatures of screaming, tormented people (a bit like you would depict hell) but that would be extremely dificult to sprite...

Mat
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Mathijs wrote:I wonder what we could use that would be 'undeadish' and not incorporating something of a skeleton/carcas/
No idea. However, what we use for this doesn't have to be 'undeadish'.
tsr

Post by tsr »

Well, maybe I'm the only one around here, but I don't picture undeadish as scabby, torn, etc (that's for northeners) I picture undead as cold, elegant and cruel.

So something like the original fire (in the thread) looks much more undead to me (although it could use a cleaner base, something manufactured instead of a ring of stones) than these torn flags, maybe it would be possible to animate a scull in the smoke or something.

/tsr