New village graphics

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Slainte

New village graphics

Post by Slainte »

O.k. I am not too active on posting in the boards, but as I was suggested in the IRC channel (my most common wesnoth meeting point...) I will be posting here advances for what I am working on...

for now I am trying to work on a full village set... with differente village tiles depending on the "base" race they where built on... the point behind this is giving the scenearios a more varied feel & look and get rid of the old village (team_ffagxxx) graphics...

A full village view is not a good solution as it ends up too small and looks like a toy left in the grass... so i am approaching a 1-2 house/s view to mark where villages are...

My first attemp is this one, aimed for the villages on first scenarios (sc 1 & 2) so elven based...

Image Image Image

I prefer the blue one, but seems most ppl in wesnoth prefer the green version :) The red version was not going too well for my taste so I left it unfinished... any comments appreciated... also suggestions for side ownership markers will be great...
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

They look very nice. Another tile image that could use some improvement is the bridge.

One question though... are villages always built on grass? Old villages used a small hack to avoid the problem, by laying over a custom floor of stones (imo that's what made them a little visually unpleasant).
Slainte

Post by Slainte »

well, they will be moved on the terrain artifact to not fringe with their base ground... this villages are for grass plains, so they will be built on grass... i.e. merman villages will be built on water tiles, dwarven on cave tiles... and so on...

I'm not sure if dave will be adding each tile in time or will wait for the full pack of tiles to be there :P anyway i'll try to have them ready asap
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yeah I'll still say I like the green-roofed one best :)

I will be adding them as they come. The code will need to be modified to support more than one type of village though.

David