Let's make a new battle princess!

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

More improvements heading in the chainmail direction instead of the platemail that the others seem to be going after...
Attachments
battle_princess3.png
battle_princess3.png (20.16 KiB) Viewed 4955 times
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Redeth, i love you.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

These are all massive improvements!

Funny how everyone seems to be rushing to get this done even though there are new mages to be animated. Redeths L2 Princess is BRILLIANT! I hope he makes an L3 one too :wink: . I prefer the chainmail Princess over the plate, but both are pretty good.

Looks like more creeping biggerism! Nobody complained about the size of the old Li'sar!
Hender

Post by Hender »

IMO the problem with the old battle princess was that it was in a different (and worse) style than the princess itself. If Redeth's princess is L2 and not L3 like I thought, a L3 must be made in the style of Redeth's L2 (because IMO, his L2 is far superior to any of the L3s in this thread), so as to not get a style conflict. I, for one, am not capable of pixelling in Redeth's style.

I don't think anyone would disagree with me that Redeth's princess is far better than the current one, especially considering how tiny the old one is compared to Konrad and the other characters.
commanderkeen wrote:Looks like more creeping biggerism! Nobody complained about the size of the old Li'sar!
This is not creeping biggerism. This is adjusting the size of the sprite to match the rest. It's increase detail-ism. ;) Creeping biggerism is when sprites are made too big due to lack of skill/self-control.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Hender wrote: This is not creeping biggerism. This is adjusting the size of the sprite to match the rest. It's increase detail-ism. ;) Creeping biggerism is when sprites are made too big due to lack of skill/self-control.
As the guy who coined the term creeping biggerism, this qualifies. Creeping biggerism is an effect that does not depend upon the rationale behind it, although from observation I would say that the desire to have more detail is often the reason. That said, Jetryl has declared some time ago that there would be an officially sanctioned increase in most sprite heights to create a consistant height for units. This probably would fit under that height expansion as well.
Rev. V!

Post by Rev. V! »

Darth Fool- That last one you did, with Redeth's head, would be my personal fave!
Not that my opinion means much in the grand scheme of things, I'm just sayin'....
8)

"Funny how everyone seems to be rushing to get this done even though there are new mages to be animated."

Workin' on one of 'em, free time at home has just been nonexistant for the past 2 days....
:(

Rev. V!
Hender

Post by Hender »

Darth Fool wrote:As the guy who coined the term creeping biggerism, this qualifies.
I hate being wrong. :(
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Rev. V! wrote:"Funny how everyone seems to be rushing to get this done even though there are new mages to be animated."

Workin' on one of 'em, free time at home has just been nonexistant for the past 2 days....
You know, there are literally hundreds of animations to be made still. We really need a few more talented people who provide a few of them. Hopefully your motivation will stay through quite a few more animations. :D
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Rev. V!

Post by Rev. V! »

"You know, there are literally hundreds of animations to be made still."

Don't I know it!
:wink:

I'll see if I can help whittle the list down as I'm able.

Rev. V!
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Ok, putting the current princess head on the battle princess. This is beginning to reach the end of my ability to improve it.

moved to art contributions
Attachments
battle_princess4.png
battle_princess4.png (23.34 KiB) Viewed 4946 times
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

Personally I think thats good enough, but I'm not an art dev :)
If only this stuff got into 1.2.3 :D , although I think there won't be another stable release until 1.4
Rev. V!

Post by Rev. V! »

YES!
Lemme take care of the peasant's demise, and after that we'll see if I can't make that saucy tart dance.....
:P

Rev. V!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:? That's not nearly good enough. I appreciate the effort, but unlike some other endeavours (cough, delfador), this one isn't panning out.

I suggest that people *not* spend their time on this, but instead spend their time animating that last delfador image that was posted. That one's actually good, and it shouldn't be too hard to make a useable in-game image of it.
Hender

Post by Hender »

Happiness! :D <== unrelated

This was actually more intended as a learning experiment, which is why I posted it in the art workshop (wasn't that appropriate?). From my POV, it was a success, though, of course, I wish I did better.

By the way, is not the Princess Redeth did good enough for trunk? I thought it was mega-awesome.
--Terry Pratchett
JW

Post by JW »

I actually really like DFs last attempt. It's now saved on my HD.