A non-distracting grid alternative

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
tsr

Post by tsr » January 11th, 2007, 10:30 am

Jetryl wrote:Here's the official verdict:

We are not changing anything about the grid, except the image used for grid.png.

I suggest those assembled try and reach a concensus about which one you like best, otherwise I'm going to pick one for you (right now, I would pick: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 062#208062 ).
I vote for this one too. Not that my vote is very important (I don't use the grid too much), but I think that this allows me to see the grid without forcing my eyes (yes, I might eed new glasses, but I think not since they are fairly new). I think that an aid (wich the grid is) should not require you to force yourself. And that the grid chosen should be chosen with the target audience of new players.

I would also suggest to ship the game with the softer grid, but named grid.png.not_in_use so to make it easier for those in the know to change it.

/tsr

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel » January 11th, 2007, 10:35 am

dborg wrote:Unless anyone objects, I suggest that votes for this one are counted as votes for the revised version. Here's an overview to hopefully make this a little less confusing:

I will count the votes as such; I don't think this would cause any regression for people who like the prior-to-revision one.

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar » January 24th, 2007, 8:12 pm

Somehow this thread totally slipped under my radar after the first couple pages...

I've added dborg's "strong" grid to the trunk. It's softer than what i had originally done, and much more subtile than the massive bevel versions.

I believe if we go much more understated than the "strong" it will start to loose its utility for the people that actually need it. If you actually use the grid, and participate on the cutting edge (i.e can compile the trunk), try it out. I don't think there's really a problem here.

dborg, please send me a PM, or reply with your real name or whatever you want to appear in the credits.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity

XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN » January 26th, 2007, 12:16 am

grid-soft revised *raises hand* ^^

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient » January 26th, 2007, 1:47 am

Eleazar wrote: I believe if we go much more understated than the "strong" it will start to loose its utility for the people that actually need it.
Exactly. People who like grid-soft can still download it. People who actually need the grid, they don't want it that soft. End of story as far as I'm concerned.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."

allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant » January 26th, 2007, 7:46 pm

I think, as most (if I interpret the votes correctly) want the soft grid, it would make most sense to commit that one, and let the few who prefer the strong one download that - not the other way around.

[edit]myself i'm using grid-soft (revised) here[/edit]

Airk

Post by Airk » January 26th, 2007, 9:12 pm

I think Sapient's -point- is that the people who need the strong grid aren't going to know how to download it, while the people who like the soft grid already have their situation well under control.

Eleazar

Post by Eleazar » January 26th, 2007, 9:43 pm

i may be wrong, but my general impression is many/most of the votes for soft grid are placed by people who don't need a grid, and haven't used one much in the past.

This is not exactly a democracy, but your endorsement of a particular grid would be more compelling if you can say:
• i normally play with the grid on.
• i've tried grid X for a few games.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity

Gus

Post by Gus » January 26th, 2007, 9:44 pm

I normally play with the grid on and like the soft-grid better.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin » January 26th, 2007, 10:28 pm

Gus wrote:I normally play with the grid on and like the soft-grid better.
Ditto.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Eleazar

Post by Eleazar » January 26th, 2007, 10:50 pm

...and you've actually played with it?
Attempting Lucidity

Gus

Post by Gus » January 26th, 2007, 10:50 pm

Obviously.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.

Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz » January 27th, 2007, 1:22 am

I use the grid, and i play with the grid. Not having the grid gives me this weird feeling that something isn't right with the way possible moves are displayed (hexagonal lightning over seamless grass).

This grid feels better than the current by being less than an overlaying and more of a hint, and the revised version seems slighty better over snow forest after closing and opening my eyes about a dozen times.

This is my stone on the vase.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004