Naga fighter

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Hender

Naga fighter

Post by Hender »

I have made a new Naga fighter. I didn't like the old one, so I made a new one from scratch, using mostly the same palette and taking many cues from the old version (including the exact pose).

Mine looks somewhat more content with himself, and seems less angry. I wasn't sure whether or not this was desirable, but I left it that way.

I was planning to add team colouring, but I don't know where, so I would much appreciate any ideas on where to put it. I pretty much followed the portrait, which has no team-colourable areas.

Also, in the portrait, the naga does not have a helmet, whereas in the sprite he seems to have one. I followed the sprite, but I will be happy to make him look bald if that's what the future holds for him.
Attachments
Naga-renewal.PNG
Naga-renewal.PNG (2.19 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Interesting. I like what you've done with the tail - it seems "cleaner" than the old tail, while remaining snake-like. However, I'm afraid that he appears to be wearing a helmet in your sprite, which is not an impression which I got from the old sprite. Funny how things work out.

Overall, I think there's something here which could be used, but it may need to go through a few iterations, blending old and new.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Sorry to be blunt, but that isn't an improvement.

While I agree that the little fellow could do with an overhaul, that isn't it.
Hender

Post by Hender »

Sangel wrote:Interesting. I like what you've done with the tail - it seems "cleaner" than the old tail, while remaining snake-like. However, I'm afraid that he appears to be wearing a helmet in your sprite, which is not an impression which I got from the old sprite. Funny how things work out.
Well, as I said, I only gave him a helmet because I thought the old sprite looked like it had one. Now I shall remove his helmet in this new iteration of my sprite, and furthermore, I shall incorporate the fin that the portrait has across its forehead. As a side effect, he now looks rather mean, which is good.

It's odd that you like the tail, because I didn't like how it turned out. :P

EDIT: Bum. I forgot the attachment.
Attachments
Naga-renewal2.PNG
Naga-renewal2.PNG (2.19 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett
Hender

Post by Hender »

Zhukov wrote:Sorry to be blunt, but that isn't an improvement.

While I agree that the little fellow could do with an overhaul, that isn't it.
Thanks for your critique.

I'll continue trying to improve the little guy because I am stubborn and overly confident. 8)
--Terry Pratchett
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Hender wrote:It's odd that you like the tail, because I didn't like how it turned out. :P
Well, I'm not certain on the way it connects to the body, or whether it should follow that exact path, but I do like the shading on it.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Hender

Post by Hender »

I still have no idea what I'm doing wrong, so I'm just continuing to polish the sprite at my own whim.

I have now made those snake-like dents in the naga's abdomen even though the portrait doesn't have them, simply because I think the previous sprite had them and because it makes the character more interesting. Also, he looks more buff than previously. I don't know if that's a good idea.

EDIT: Bah, I forgot the attachment again.
Attachments
Naga-renewal3.PNG
Naga-renewal3.PNG (2.3 KiB) Viewed 5371 times
--Terry Pratchett
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Could you put him on a more neutral-coloured background? And show a version without a shadow? That grey shadow is almost as distracting as a pink background. I like your sword, and your tail, but I marginally prefer the old arms. The face, I'd prefer something in between the two.I do like the way your Naga seems slightly 'beefier' than the original.
Hender

Post by Hender »

Simons Mith wrote:Could you put him on a more neutral-coloured background? And show a version without a shadow?
Yes.
Simons Mith wrote:I marginally prefer the old arms. The face, I'd prefer something in between the two.I do like the way your Naga seems slightly 'beefier' than the original.
Fun fact: I also like the old arms better. I've been trying to make something better than them for some time now, but I have failed miserably. As for the face, I'm just pushing pixels around now to see how it turns out.

EDIT: New, better version. I have also anti-aliased the word 'SHINY'.
Attachments
Naga-renewal4.PNG
Naga-renewal4.PNG (2.27 KiB) Viewed 5310 times
--Terry Pratchett
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

I think this is a defenite improvement from the original sprite. Both the mermen and the nagas has very silly cartoonish faces which makes you lose all respect for them. Now this version looks more menacing and more in line with the rest of the new sprites...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

AFAIK one of Jetryl's evil plans is to make a complete revamp of the nagas and the mermen.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
traverser

Post by traverser »

It seems to me that the new naga is leaning to its right, picking up its right shoulder and the right part of its head to straighten the position might be a good improvement
Hender

Post by Hender »

Noyga wrote:AFAIK one of Jetryl's evil plans is to make a complete revamp of the nagas and the mermen.
Blast. :x

Well, I've made the level 2 anyway. Hopefully, the reason why he seems to lean right should be made clear with this one: he is, in fact, leaning backwards, as this is a more relaxing position for his spine. This makes him look slightly fat and couch potato-ish, but I am out of time for today.

I included an armless version of the naga so that people could see him in all his unclouded glory. For reference, the level 2 is not something I'm really satisfied with. YET. :!:

Crits welcome.
Attachments
Naga-renewal5.PNG
Naga-renewal5.PNG (5.1 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
--Terry Pratchett
traverser

Post by traverser »

It kind of looks like Jabba the Hutt with all the fat. But maybe that's just me. And the level two's sword might look better if it did not point straight up
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Personal I can't see an improvement, sorry. The bodies were snake like formed in your edits they loose there elegance. You have tried to improve the faces which could perhabs need some love the eyes look to big else I actual didn't disliked the sprites.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields