Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sherbniz

Portraits for Saurians?

Post by Sherbniz »

So yeah... I did two portraits ^^

They're not yet in the standard 205*205 portrait format (I think that is it), but I just wanted to ask whether they're meeting the standards for the game... o,o

This one is a bit dark, which is intentional, because:
a. The saurians are night creatures
b. It looks pretty cool

That one isn't as dark... but I could make it darker... or the other one a bit brighter...

Any critique, use for this, or doesn't anybody care much about the portraits in the unit information windows anyhow...? o.o
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

well, the forums might be a bit calm due to noew year parties, but let me tell you that for a first contribution, that's pretty darn cool...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
troodon

Post by troodon »

Great.

But so are the current portraits. I'm not a developer, but I hope the 1st one gets in as the portrait for the Saurian Oracle, and leave the cool saurian augur portrait that is currently in use there.
Sherbniz

Post by Sherbniz »

troodon wrote:Great.

But so are the current portraits. I'm not a developer, but I hope the 1st one gets in as the portrait for the Saurian Oracle, and leave the cool saurian augur portrait that is currently in use there.
>.<
I'm sorry... I happened to not have played 1.2 yet, so I had no clue about these changes...
*installs now and has a look*

Edit:

lol, crappit xD

The new picture is by far better...
I admit defeat. D:

I'll just contribute art some other time when I got more time to do really detailed pictures... >.<
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Yeh, the Wesnoth style is a bit more detailed nowadays, but these are still some seriously nice pictures.

Wesnoth may not need Saurian portraits, but I'm sure there are numerous people in the Faction and Era forum who'd love artwork of your calibre for portraits...
Sabata

Post by Sabata »

I am one of those who would like your help, i need a lot of portraits for Phoenix Kingdom campaing. :P
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

I think the second portrait is not far from current style.
Btw there would be some things to fix, ilke the crest being oversized compared to current portrait of the other saurian units.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Noyga wrote:I think the second portrait is not far from current style.
Btw there would be some things to fix, ilke the crest being oversized compared to current portrait of the other saurian units.
Can't there be individual variations within race? Maybe crest size is the Saurian equivalent to eye or skin colour differences...
Zeno

Post by Zeno »

i think their both pretty cool..... just 1 questions, why doesn't the first one have a crest?? i know there's some reason for it but i was just wondering.
maybe with the second one his tail could be outside the ring.... looks good anyway though. all in all pretty good javascript:emoticon ':D'
why are people douches?
Sherbniz

Post by Sherbniz »

irrevenant wrote:Yeh, the Wesnoth style is a bit more detailed nowadays, but these are still some seriously nice pictures.

Wesnoth may not need Saurian portraits, but I'm sure there are numerous people in the Faction and Era forum who'd love artwork of your calibre for portraits...
Hmmm, maybe. x.x I still have some other work to do though, so I'm not sure if I could participate in one of these >.<
Sabata wrote:I am one of those who would like your help, i need a lot of portraits for Phoenix Kingdom campaing. :P
I still need to practice my dragons and dinos >.<
I had a look into your thread though, but it doesn't reveal much about what you exactly gonna need >.>
Noyga wrote:I think the second portrait is not far from current style.
Heh, I haven't seen the saurian portrait until I had finished this D:
Zeno wrote:i think their both pretty cool..... just 1 questions, why doesn't the first one have a crest?? i know there's some reason for it but i was just wondering.
maybe with the second one his tail could be outside the ring.... looks good anyway though. all in all pretty good javascript:emoticon ':D'
Because I didn't know they have one x.x
When I drew this I still had 1.0.2 and the old sprites didn't reveal the fact that saurian tribalists/augurs have a crest >_<

Well anyhow... have a concept for an Ambusher portrait... :P

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Just FYI, for portraits Jetryl doesn't generally like any pictures that are too dynamic. They're used in the help, but they're also used in dialog and an attacking pose looks funny during a conversation...
Sherbniz

Post by Sherbniz »

irrevenant wrote:Just FYI, for portraits Jetryl doesn't generally like any pictures that are too dynamic. They're used in the help, but they're also used in dialog and an attacking pose looks funny during a conversation...
Oh, I see :O

Dang.

Guess I can pretty much abandon that now. :B

*shrugs*
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Sherbniz wrote:
irrevenant wrote:Just FYI, for portraits Jetryl doesn't generally like any pictures that are too dynamic. They're used in the help, but they're also used in dialog and an attacking pose looks funny during a conversation...
Oh, I see :O
Dang.
Guess I can pretty much abandon that now. :B
*shrugs*
Please don't be discouraged - you have real skill at this.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

irrevenant wrote: Please don't be discouraged - you have real skill at this.
Seconded. Your line-work in particular is most impressive!
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Gus

Post by Gus »

And if this cannot be used as portraits, i'm sure it can be used elsewhere. That's very well done, keep on going =)
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.