Cave spider revamp

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dragon Master

Cave spider revamp

Post by Dragon Master »

I'm a bit rusty, so I'm trying to get my sprite skills back with an attempt at a new cave spider. Mostly finished the main body, but I need some help with the legs. The eyes look a bit wierd too. I also need to shade the center portion under the abdomen. critics and comments appreciated
Attachments
I realize there is only one leg, I was testing out how it would look
I realize there is only one leg, I was testing out how it would look
Cavespidernew.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 5152 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Just an FYI, there is going to be coloring on the abdomen so it's more noticable against cave tiles. Right now my biggest concern is the eyes.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

as its a spider, it may have more eyes(3 or 5 would look cool)
Most spiders have eight eyes, some have six. The basic arrangement is in two rows, though it varies.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Two big eyes and few smaller ones would be best IMO. (that's how it works in reality too)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Though I don't agree with some of his other suggestions, Syntax_Error's suggestion about the eyes is spot-on.
ijuric

Post by ijuric »

If you plan to keep such (or simmilar) legs and body proportions, you might reduce size of eyes. To me, this spider looks like orb weaving spider and those have small eyes.
Basicly, there are two types of spiders, ones which make orbs and eat what gets in them, and onew that hunt actively (since I spent 3 researching spiders on university I know few things about that). Great thing is that you can tell what strategy spider uses just by loooking at it. Hunters need good eyes for hunting so they have large or very large eyes. Their legs are also thick coz with thin legs you can't really run fast. Also, notice that front part of bodey is similar to back in size (spider on first picture looks hungary, back is usally bit bigger). Afterall, you can't run fast if your ass is huge.

Orb weaving spiders usually have long thin legs, which are great for walking on web, back part is larger compared to front and eyes are tiny. They react to vibrations, so good eyes are not so important.

Ofc, this is fantasy game and you can mix whatever styles you want to, but having wrong sized eyes just don't feel right. (well, maybe just to me coz I've seen too many spiders :) )
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

thanks for the info. Here's another version with "fixed" eyes. Also going to redo the legs, the old one was crap. Please note the black lines are only going to be the position of the legs, not the legs themselves. And yes, the spider does have claws on its front two legs.
Attachments
Cavespidernew.png
Cavespidernew.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

the eyes are alot better :D
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The eyes come in pairs, so unless this is a spider equivalent to cyclops, it should have even number of eyes (8 or 6, as I said).

The abdomen seems somehow twisted in relation to the thorax/head.

The claws in the end of the first limbs is a terrible idea, IMO, why not some angry looking cartoon eyes while you're at it? I would rather give it nasty looking fangs in it's chelicerae (the mouthparts).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

yes, looking at it now, the claws are terrible. I can see what your saying about the abdomen, the end part needs to point down more. I might make the fangs bigger, but that's a might. The reason the spider doesn't have angry cartoon eyes is because the current one does and they look stupid. The piercing red dots are a lot creepier than some big 'ol angry eyes. I'm also considering not coloring the abdomen so it looks like it blends in the with the cave.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:
as its a spider, it may have more eyes(3 or 5 would look cool)
Most spiders have eight eyes, some have six. The basic arrangement is in two rows, though it varies.
We're talking about a monstrous beast in a fantasy world here. Complete adherence to real world biology is not required.

Five eyes looks cool, but I don't know that you could make it look cool in the standard Wesnoth perspective.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

abdomen fix and added most of the legs (no claws). They still look a bit bad to me, perhaps I should make them a pixel thicker? The red bands also need to be a different color. Anything else?
Attachments
Cavespidernew.png
Cavespidernew.png (2.01 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
-wight-

Post by -wight- »

i think thicker legs like you said would be good. it would give it a more tarantular look.