Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
wnsk

Goblin Pillager 500x500 image

Post by wnsk »

Hi y'all.

I'm new to Wesnoth. Just wanted to express my enthusiasm for the game by posting something. Since what I have in mind is a drawing, I hope that posting here is appropriate.

This image has style and quality issues, I know...but maybe somebody has some ideas for it, maybe not. I welcome stylistic critique (e.g. this doesn't look like a goblin at all, it should be like this...etc). [I tried to base it on the sprite, but it was so tiny I couldn't make out much detail].

=)
Attachments
goblin pillager3b.JPG
goblin pillager3b.JPG (165.68 KiB) Viewed 6849 times
Last edited by wnsk on December 19th, 2006, 10:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Hello.

Well, for one, the wolf is really tiny. IMHO the goblin should be at least about a third smaller.
wnsk

Post by wnsk »

hmm, you're right. i was having a lot of trouble with the wolf. thanks for pointing that out.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

zookeeper wrote:Hello.

Well, for one, the wolf is really tiny. IMHO the goblin should be at least about a third smaller.
Silly zookeeper that is a normal sized wolf. That is just an ogre king riding it not a goblin.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Gus

Post by Gus »

I don't know about size issues, but this picture rocks. It's one of the best i've seen for the game, you're definitely welcome to contribute ^^
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Really nice portrait, btw the style is very different and might not work with current Orcs portraits.
Perhaps it's not a problem.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

If you need some reference for the wolf, here's one pretty good one.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

well, your style is definitely quite different from the wesnoth style

we try to keep a style that is easy to copy (cell shaded) to have a consistent look despite multiple contributors, and that's a requirement for mainline portraits.

you obviously know how to draw, I don't so I won't have much technicall insight for you, there are better advice about the wesnoth style in the wiki, and Jetryl will probably pop-up with much better advice.

I would love to see some art from you with our style, the pose is good, and I love the look in his eyes...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Gus

Post by Gus »

Even if this particular image can't make it into the game proper because of inconsistency, it needs to be used somewhere in the "intro" screens between scenarios... The style is much less restricted there, even in mainline campaigns, so it would be ok. Honestly, it would be a crying shame to not use this =)
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Gus wrote:Even if this particular image can't make it into the game proper because of inconsistency, it needs to be used somewhere in the "intro" screens between scenarios... The style is much less restricted there, even in mainline campaigns, so it would be ok. Honestly, it would be a crying shame to not use this =)
Or we could at least have some "Fan Art" section. Seriously. Put your picture on some free image hosting service, and link it from wiki. If more people would do this, it would be very cool, IMHO.
traverser

Post by traverser »

Is it just me or does he goblin look like he is falling off the wolf. The head of the wolf is kind of twisted to the right from this point of view. I think a slightly larger view of the forehead and posibly a slight vision of the other eye(on the wolf) might fix it. After extensive staring I discovered that you might try to turn his right part the body of the goblin away from the viewer. This might be achieved by bringing his left shoulder more into view and the right farther into the shadows.
I foung mistakes Muahuahua.....:twisted: *runs around laughing like a maniac*
wnsk

regarding goblins

Post by wnsk »

Yeah, the goblin has a strangely twisted posture. Also, it seems to me that he is sitting too high up on the wolf. I'm sure there are various other flaws. Thanks for the advice.

Actually, I don't know how to draw a goblin so the mask is convenient. I mean, what resources I can find are quite different in their depiction...there's the goblin in Dungeon Siege, and in DnD, and in Warcraft (which I perceive, although I could be wrong, that Wesnoth draws much of its inspiration from; not necessarily just the art, but also the concepts).

That's a deathclaw in your icon; I'm a fellow Fallout fan (assuming you are one)!
Pickslide
Art Contributor

Post by Pickslide »

Generally, it isn't a good idea to reference artwork for anatomy.

Google
Images
is
good.

But we do want to reference!
Check out my portraits HERE!