Cockatrice

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well i didn't know that the HI from current SVN was a outdated unit.
Well it's still a very large monster :
ImageImageImageImageImage
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It just needs a good explanation of why it can't ram tiny humanoids in melee. Maybe it has a funny instinctive phobia of closeness or something. However, since the only mainline scenario where these were used doesn't exist anymore, I think we can safely recreate the entire unit and have it have whatever stats we want to.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

As i imagine cockatrice/basilisk, it should have melee damaging and ranged stoning attacks.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Cockatrice could not ram poor humanoids because it would need to look at them first, what gives known effects.
JW

Post by JW »

If it's that big I think it's melee attack should have Charge.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

maybe add a mirror pickup to the scenario which allows you to instantly kill it?

but to be OT, the new image looks great, I think just giving it a beak melee attack would be fine.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

JW wrote:If it's that big I think it's melee attack should have Charge.
No no no, actually, proper reasoning in wesnoth should be: if it have charge, it should be big. :P
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

zookeeper wrote:It just needs a good explanation of why it can't ram tiny humanoids in melee. Maybe it has a funny instinctive phobia of closeness or something.

However, since the only mainline scenario where these were used doesn't exist anymore, I think we can safely recreate the entire unit and have it have whatever stats we want to.
It doesn't exist? Shucks, Scott's been busy. Well, then, it's official. We can recreate the entire unit's stats.

Thus, The cockatrice now has a melee attack.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

I noticed that missing, as well as the two mages before the Dwarven Doors, they were the hard ones. I guess they were taken out to make HttT a bit more easier.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
troodon

Post by troodon »

That's too bad, they were fun scenarios.

And I rescind my previous post on this topic. THIS cockatrice drawing is better than the one that used to be used.

I have one suggestion: Give it really cool claws like Deinonychus had.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Eternal - if you're in a bird-drawing mood, you might want to try giving the Saracens/Kalifa faction a falcon upgrade sprite. I believe they have a chance of going mainline in some future release. :)

BTW, no offense but I feel this cockatrice is way too big, although it does look nice.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

It is probably, because you are used to the old small thing. I like this one, it has more of a scare/freak appeal.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, I went on Wikipedia to see what size cockatrices are usually. I didn't find anything.

BUT - they use the Wesnoth cockatrice sprite in the article! :D
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Feels good to give something to the world, doesn't it?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Feels good to give something to the world, doesn't it?.
Actually, there are several wesnoth sprites on wikipedia - the thief is another one. I've got to get those blighters replaced with portraits. :P

The reason for this is that our sprites are GPL, so they can nab them without having any fear of legal issues.