Standing and idle animations?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

You could make him point his sword out in a sort of en guard-ish way.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

I like this idea man, keep up the great work. I hope by next year that all the units will have idle animations.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Here's a try at a fire drake standing anim. GIF doesn't have transparency, so that is why the smoke might not look great, but it looks fine in the PNG's.
Attachments
fire_stand.gif
fire_stand.gif (14.08 KiB) Viewed 4802 times
hey.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Don't make him blowing fire, just have him look kinda angry and blow smoke out of his nostrils.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I don't like the fact that shoots a flame, it looks wierd the way you've done it. Perhaps a few frames before the smoke puffs out make his nostrils expand like he's sucking air in. Right now it looks like he's smoking, the smoke shoot shoot out like he's breathing out.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Flametrooper wrote:Here's a try at a fire drake standing anim. GIF doesn't have transparency, so that is why the smoke might not look great, but it looks fine in the PNG's.
The smoke coming from its nostrils looks great, but I'd get rid of the whole mouth/fire thing.
Dragon Master wrote:You could make him point his sword out in a sort of en guard-ish way.
Hard to make without looking like an attack animation... but I'll see what I can do, perhaps for the duelist..
Ryorin wrote:I like this idea man, keep up the great work. I hope by next year that all the units will have idle animations.
Yeah, why not? ;)

Alright, the last two animations of the day:

First the Ogre, with a scary one. I made only 2 new .pngs for it, but I worked really hard on them and I'm particularly proud of the result. It's the first -almost- full body motion animation I've ever done (everything moves except his feet).

Then, finally, a very simple, funny one, courtesy of our beloved skelly family :D I'll post the .zips tomorrow, in the meantime feel free to C&C and do keep suggesting new ideas, please.
Attachments
whoops...
whoops...
skel-archer-idle-animation-1.gif (7.89 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
...GROOOOAAAAAARRRRR!!!
...GROOOOAAAAAARRRRR!!!
ogre-idle-animation-1.gif (3.87 KiB) Viewed 4643 times
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

:) I'm loving this, it's as good as the new attack icon thread was.

Redeth: Ditto previous praise on both of them. However I think the Runemaster could be vastly improved if he were to lean his hammer on the ground (head on the ground, handle leaning on his shoulder) and use his now free hand to leaf through the pages. Only a suggestion. As for the fencer, it looks good but what's he doing, just touching the blades together...?

Flametrooper: Do something about that flame. At the moment it almost looks like muzzle flash from a firearm.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

That orge is awesome, he needs some saliva and spit coming out when he roars. I don't like the skeleton one that much, maybe make him crack his neck with his hand in a very quick and almost painful way.
I got and idea for the fencer to spice it up. Once he touches his blades together, have him draw them away quickly and make some sparks.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

The Ogre looks great! The skeleton seems to fix his head a little too casually. I'd expect him to be more suprised by it falling off and that he would have to lean a little to catch it. It also makes him look 2D. Shouldn't we be able to see a little bit of the inside of the back of his armor behind where his head was?

Ditto on this being a fantastic thread
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ryorin wrote:I like this idea man, keep up the great work. I hope by next year that all the units will have idle animations.
That would be sweet.

But, to keep things realistic here... there are hundreds of units. And we dont' even have decent attack animations for all of them. Getting all of this done in one year is just not going to happen.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Turin: Who knows. At the rate things are going, it could get done before we'd expect it... :)

Redeth:
• Fencer - that animation is great, although another with the salute would be dandy, too.
• Ogre - just great.
• Skeleton Archer - too fast, and too static; the rest of him is too still. Cool idea, but it's gonna need a bit more complete execution.

Flametrooper:
• The smoke is too obviously "bound within the hex", and wouldn't curl back like that.
• The fire is bad, just have him blow a puff of smoke out his nostrils - have it go forward, rather than backward.
• Also, the rest of his body is too static, that is, too still! When a man coughs, or even sighs, his whole body moves (subtly, but it's very important in animations like this).
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Jetryl wrote: Redeth:
• Fencer - that animation is great, although another with the salute would be dandy, too.
What an atrocious pun, Jetryl. :D

This stuff is all looking like a lot of fun, and could really add a little spice to Wesnoth. It's the little things which really make a game. Oh, and might I suggest Art Contributor status for Redeth?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Sangel wrote:This stuff is all looking like a lot of fun, and could really add a little spice to Wesnoth. It's the little things which really make a game. Oh, and might I suggest Art Contributor status for Redeth?
He isn't already?

*checks*

You're right, :shock:

I agree with Sangel.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

The ogre looks great, but I'm wondering. When he moves like that, shouldn't his shadow also change?
Same for the archer.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

so, when do we start commiting these babies....

btw, idle animations are NOT bounded by their hexes, this is only for standing animations...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim