Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Trilby
Art Contributor

Re: Standing and idle animations?

Post by Trilby »

I know, yet another unfinished woodsman idle animation by Trilby, tut!

However, before I go ahead and attempt to use the woodsman's head to lead his action, which will add a relatively significant number of frames, I'd like feedback on the general standard of the stance I've painted up. If I can iron these issues out now, it will save a little time later, when I come to stick heads and extra bows on. The action takes into account, appropriate foot moving and body balance, I hope.

Also for the crouch I've blocked in some familiar bows, missing arms (my trademark it appears). Ideally I'd like to keep the action simple, as shown or at least in a similar vein, but if there are any issues here as well, note them and I'll get to work. From here on I'll work to improve what I've got, instead of just trying something different each time. :roll:

Overall I'm thinking we shouldn't want an excessive idle animation for such a low key unit, don't want him showing up the elves. :P I'm sure there's more to say, but lost track...
Attachments
crouch basic.gif
crouch basic.gif (7.6 KiB) Viewed 5049 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

This looks fine. Put it all together, and you're there.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Redeth wrote:White mage taking a break, looking around, listening to some strange birds... you know, being idle. :P

edited glitched ankh
I'll try and do an edit to fix his head; the animation is (as always) great, but the actual drawing of his hair outside of his hood, and of his head, is a little off.

Thanks a lot, though!
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Thanks Jet. With a little of your magic I'm sure it will do.

I included the sequence, which is kind of tricky in this one (9 unique pngs, 17 frames)
Attachments
white-mage-idle.zip
(22.6 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

Here is the fixed version.
Pathfinder idle anim.zip
(59.65 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
Trilby
Art Contributor

Post by Trilby »

The following is what I've got so far for the Woodsman, with all bits added and ready for critique.
Attachments
crouch full_01.gif
crouch full_01.gif (14.28 KiB) Viewed 4874 times
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I like this guy. He looks very natural for me.
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

Looks good.
Trilby
Art Contributor

Post by Trilby »

It's being a good while since I worked on the Woodsman, over a month ago. The last adjustments I made were to the guy's right arm, to reduce the jerkiness of the motion. Still not perfect, the whole thing still moves quite incrementally. I thought I'd let you see the latest version.

Didn't know whether you were waiting for the png files, or the silence was from the project being overlooked.

Initially I had the feeling I may have over stepped an unwritten code of conduct by not proving my worth in the workshop first. :wink:
Attachments
crouch full_04.gif
crouch full_04.gif (14.15 KiB) Viewed 4528 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Not really - if someone's work's good enough, it;s good enough. Yours will be, with a little extra fiddling - probably a couple of tweening frames would do it..
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Trilby
Art Contributor

Post by Trilby »

I was trying to remember, from the last time I worked on this sprite, what it was that I'd narrowed the cause of the stutter in the motion down to.

I repeated too many of the same bows in consecutive frames. I've replaced the bow image in two of the existing frames with a new one (as the bow swings from his side to his front and vice-a-versa). I think there's a noticeable improvement in smoothness of motion. The timing in the GIF is the same as the previous one (or it should be, I've not experimented on how slowly this new motion can be taken), plus some cleaning done, mainly to the bow arm.

Anything else anyone can spot, details that could be worked on?
Attachments
crouch full_05.gif
crouch full_05.gif (14.14 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Trilby wrote:I was trying to remember, from the last time I worked on this sprite, what it was that I'd narrowed the cause of the stutter in the motion down to.

I repeated too many of the same bows in consecutive frames. I've replaced the bow image in two of the existing frames with a new one (as the bow swings from his side to his front and vice-a-versa). I think there's a noticeable improvement in smoothness of motion. The timing in the GIF is the same as the previous one (or it should be, I've not experimented on how slowly this new motion can be taken), plus some cleaning done, mainly to the bow arm.

Anything else anyone can spot, details that could be worked on?
Nah, I think it's good. Care to post the PNGs?
Trilby
Art Contributor

Post by Trilby »

Here's the finished woodsman idle pngs. My proceedure for TC was to colour select from the original file "woodsman.png", hopefully nothing got missed and the original was good. Although I think there is a stray red pixel on his tunic under the collar/coif(?).

In the case of this animation: woodsman-idle-03 gets repeated for 15, woodsman-idle-02 for 16, woodsman-idle-01 for 17.
Attachments
Woodsman-Idle-Anim.zip
(33.77 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Trilby wrote:Here's the finished woodsman idle pngs. My proceedure for TC was to colour select from the original file "woodsman.png", hopefully nothing got missed and the original was good. Although I think there is a stray red pixel on his tunic under the collar/coif(?).

In the case of this animation: woodsman-idle-03 gets repeated for 15, woodsman-idle-02 for 16, woodsman-idle-01 for 17.
Committed
ComicIronic

Post by ComicIronic »

I thought I'd have a go at one of these. It's an idea I saw mentioned at the start of the topic, then re-mentioned a few pages back, with no animation as a reply.

How's that?

I think it's not as smooth as it could be, and when he centers his head, it looks a bit wrong. Other people say the fade effect disappears when converted to GIF, so I'm surprised it worked. Can anyone suggest how it could be improved?