Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
vonHalenbach
Translator

my second try

Post by vonHalenbach »

Here is a mage with more magic and a turning head. It is a bit blurry, but that can be seen as "motionblur" :lol:

How do you find him?
Attachments
Enlarged version for better viewing.
Enlarged version for better viewing.
silver-mage-idle-new4.gif (67.17 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

His left lower arm looks strange after the stick has dissapeared, the part hidden by the stick doesn't show up. And the last few frames look odd... don't know how to say that better...
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

It looks rather nice to me...

I just fail to understand why it's enlargened so. It's not like that in game. How can we tell whether it's good looking or not if it's enlargened? An animation is supposed to look good in the size it's going to show up in game.
I wish I had more time in my hands.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

SkeletonCrew wrote:His left lower arm looks strange after the stick has dissapeared, the part hidden by the stick doesn't show up. And the last few frames look odd... don't know how to say that better...
Agree . That was because of cutting out the staff too lasily.
I just fail to understand why it's enlargened so. It's not like that in game. How can we tell whether it's good looking or not if it's enlargened? An animation is supposed to look good in the size it's going to show up in game.
Good point.

Here it is. my (hopefully) final version?

Thank you for your comments!

Do you think he should visually throw the staff back into the right hand?

EDIT: The staff-animation looked familiar to me! Now i know where i have seen it last. Starwars. That was unintentionally. How to distinguish Lightsaber TM from MagicstaffTM?
Attachments
silvermage-idle12.tar.gz
sourcefiles
(38.76 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
silver-mage7.gif
silver-mage7.gif (18.04 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
halleck

Post by halleck »

vonHalenbach wrote: Do you think he should visually throw the staff back into the right hand?
I agree with you on this. The animation is a bit slow now (Not that it needs to be changed). It would help speed things up plus it is a good transition back to the normal frame.
Pretty sweet animation overall.

EDIT: The outline goes away on his right arm in the last couple of frames. :?
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

He could do either, throw it back. With some cool twirly animations :P

Or he could transport it back magically.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Oreb wrote:He could do either, throw it back. With some cool twirly animations :P

Or he could transport it back magically.
Yeah, that would be fun! I would like to do that, i have thought myself about throwing the staff on the ground and have it bounce up into his other hand(Magicstaffs can do that), but i have used 9 Frames already. Hopefully i can use 3 or 4 pics to finish the animation with a simple throw from one hand to the other.

Thank you for your input.

Stefan
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:? You know, you guys might want to belay work on any mages until a later date, because the mage lines are going to be reworked for the TC conversion.

Only do guys who are green in this list, like I said before:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11217
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

why does the mage turn all blurry when the animation goes on?
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Darth Fool wrote:Ideas: silver mage teleports staff from one hand to the other. In fact, here is a prototype that people can work from.
Thanks, this idea is pretty cool and I'll try to use it in the future. The vanishing effect of the staff is particularly well done.
vonHalenbach wrote:Hi ! I am certainly no artist, but i have tried to make Darth Fool's animation a bit better.
Regarding your final version of the mage, it should run faster (100ms/frame), it'd need some cleaning up of the face, hood and sleeve, the movement of his leg is too sudden (an intermediate frame would do the trick), and it lacks the "reverse to original position" frames at the end. Other than that it's good, just don't bother fixing it since the base standing frame must be replaced in the first place (meaning the whole animation would have to be redone to go in game).

Anyway, it's good to see more people working on the animations, welcome aboard, and keep practicing!
Jetryl wrote:You know, you guys might want to belay work on any mages until a later date, because the mage lines are going to be reworked for the TC conversion.
Indeed, those sprites look really outdated now. Is anyone working on the new versions yet?
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Redeth wrote:Indeed, those sprites look really outdated now. Is anyone working on the new versions yet?
Yes. The sore thumb is the red mage, since I'm really having a hard time making him look good while still being red (e.g. not clashing horribly with other colors). It's kindofa back burner project right now.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

to answer the two technicall questions flying around...

yes, IIRC, the animations will try to follow the facing properly, no need to worry

these animations should revert back to the originall standing pause, because (unless player moves the unit) the unit will go back to standing once it's done.

so the mage needs to get the staff back to it's original position either by throwing the staff or by teleporting it back, but it needs to go back.

on a less techincal point of view, I think the metalic color of the magical teleporting ball isn't so good... you might want to try a mor "magicall blue" color
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
halleck

Post by halleck »

Boucman wrote: you might want to try a mor "magicall blue" color
So... Do you mean like the original animation with the blue energy ball or do you mean with a metallic ball type thing but just blue colored?
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Redeth wrote:
Regarding your final version of the mage, it should run faster (100ms/frame), it'd need some cleaning up of the face, hood and sleeve, the movement of his leg is too sudden (an intermediate frame would do the trick), and it lacks the "reverse to original position" frames at the end. Other than that it's good, just don't bother fixing it since the base standing frame must be replaced in the first place (meaning the whole animation would have to be redone to go in game).

Anyway, it's good to see more people working on the animations, welcome aboard, and keep practicing!
Thank you! Ok, it can be seen as a rough concept.
Jetryl wrote:You know, you guys might want to belay work on any mages until a later date, because the mage lines are going to be reworked for the TC conversion.
I try to work a bit on the animation of the staff, until the final version of the mage is ready. (Hopefully he has a staff) :lol:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

vonHalenbach wrote:
I try to work a bit on the animation of the staff, until the final version of the mage is ready. (Hopefully he has a staff) :lol:
More than any of the other mages, his costuming is not going through heavy changes. Really, the chief thing for him will be that he is getting at least a TC belt, and some reworking of his size/stance/face/hair/etc.

So, yes, he still has a staff. :P