New House Image

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I think a little variation from log to log (ie a few pixels with darker or lighter shades) would help. Otherwise, looking good.
Radic

Post by Radic »

Darth Fool wrote:I think a little variation from log to log (ie a few pixels with darker or lighter shades) would help. Otherwise, looking good.
i agree, i wanted to get the perspective and design completed first, but now this is what i am going to work on. I looked at the older ones and its a nice little transition.
Engineers rule the world
Radic

Post by Radic »

I would like people to take this design and work on it. Add variation mostly. I will work on it but it would be great if there were a couple of varations so that we can set up a little poll.
Engineers rule the world
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Military camp tiles put in the game

Post by Ayin »

Hello,

Here are some screenshots of the proposed "military camp" tiles in the game.

They weren't properly adjusted at the edges (but I still didn't make a howto on "how to draw tileable castles"), and my cutout mask is designed for old 70-70 tiles, not for the new 72x72 ones, but it should give an idea of what it may look like.
Radic

Post by Radic »

thanks for the in-game screenshots. How would one go about fixing the camp so it tiles nicely?
Engineers rule the world
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

versions 2 and 3 are the same except that 2 has gates on every horizontal section ( _ ). We should change it so that each outpost only has one gate, probably on the southernmost horizontal section. Is that possible? I admit that #2 and #3 do fit the scale a bit better than #1.

And you'll notice that there is a slight problem with the / section of the walls, up by the river. But I assume that is becuase of the 70x70 image not fitting right with the 72x72 hex.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

quartex wrote:versions 2 and 3 are the same except that 2 has gates on every horizontal section ( _ ). We should change it so that each outpost only has one gate, probably on the southernmost horizontal section. Is that possible? I admit that #2 and #3 do fit the scale a bit better than #1.

And you'll notice that there is a slight problem with the / section of the walls, up by the river. But I assume that is becuase of the 70x70 image not fitting right with the 72x72 hex.
Wll actually 2 only has gates some of the time. note the hex on bottom right.
Also, I think for this wall, a dirt terrain might be better.
Radic

Post by Radic »

i made two more version, both of them are 72 pixels wide but i played around with the height.
Engineers rule the world
Radic

Post by Radic »

comments, suggestions, jokes?
Engineers rule the world
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

The post in the middle front seems odd... other then that the posts till look a little too uniform.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Darth Fool wrote:The post in the middle front seems odd... other then that the posts till look a little too uniform.
if the posts varied in size and/or color, then the variations would tile and look even stranger. I say keep 'em uniform... unless you want to make multiple versions of each side so that they never tile.
Radic

Post by Radic »

Darth Fool wrote:The post in the middle front seems odd... other then that the posts till look a little too uniform.
The problem that i am facing is that i have a hole to fill up(switch from 70x70 to 72X72). I tried chaing the size but it really did not look that good. Any suggestions for the gate?
Engineers rule the world
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Well I' in favor of some minor variation in the color/hue of the wood because wood is never that homogenous. For the gate, it shoudd be made of planks rather than log , or you need some logs horizontal to keep the other one in place. The ground could be dirt like but on the grey side to haver some contrast with the wood.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Radic

Post by Radic »

Christophe33 wrote:Well I' in favor of some minor variation in the color/hue of the wood because wood is never that homogenous. For the gate, it shoudd be made of planks rather than log , or you need some logs horizontal to keep the other one in place. The ground could be dirt like but on the grey side to haver some contrast with the wood.
i like the plank idea. I tried to make the wood non-homogenous but it didn't work out that well, that is the main reason why there is no such image coming from me. If someone wants to change this feel free to try.
Engineers rule the world