My Dwarvish Portraits

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
spekkio

My Dwarvish Portraits

Post by spekkio »

Here is my Gryphon Rider's concept. I hope you'll enjoy enjoy it. Sorry for the transparency of paper.

I added this one for Dwarf Warrior

It's Crit Time !!

Spekkio
Last edited by spekkio on June 2nd, 2006, 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Those wings need work...
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

In general, I think it's a good start, the dwarf is particularly cool and the pose is interesting. I'm unsure about the axe either way, seeing as the unit doesn't use one in-game but it does look rather neat. I agree that the wings need work, though, they don't seem to attach to the body the right way. Also, the griffin's head doesn't look very menacing. How about this as a reference?
spekkio

Post by spekkio »

I don't like the wings too. But is a stating point. Just crit, and I'll improve then. All crits are welcome. I agree several of your ideas. I'll take the best ones and use them to do better drawings. This is just the first step on the way.

Spekkio
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

It looks good, and I like the style. The other comments about wings apply, and the dwarf looks a bit... mischevious or malevolent. It adds character, and makes it look good, but it doesn't seem very Dwarven.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Damn good start.

I would say... err... take out the axe, the helmet and expression have enough character right there. Then, the gryphons shoulder should connect a little upper i think, making his back and torso look broader. Finally try to avoid the egiptian-art wings, since they both seem to almost be in front of you, the right one specially needs a perspective reworking IMO.

After that, i think coloring can take care of details. Feathers could be better off being suggested by shading that line art, maybe.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Anyar wrote:the dwarf looks a bit... mischevious or malevolent. It adds character, and makes it look good, but it doesn't seem very Dwarven.
I disagree, to me the expression makes him look tough and determined, and works well. I don't think he looks too sinister for a Dwarf. They are supposed to be formidable warriors after all.
JW

Post by JW »

Nice pose. I'm a big fan of your sketches. I agree with what people have said about the axe and the wings, but it's definitely a good piece of work.
spekkio

Post by spekkio »

Added a new Dwarvish Portrait. It's Warrior Time. Enjoy!
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Very nice. The axe head may need a little bit of shrinking, looking like a cleaver right now, but effing kudos on the rest.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

GAH! His lack of pupils scares me. Otherwise sweet start
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Hey - these are pretty good!

The wings do need work, as stated before, but these are pretty nice, by and large.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I love the pose, but the gyphon needs some works... it's built like a humanoid

I mean both the hips and shoulder arn't built correctly, think of a horse...

the shoulders shoul be frontward, not on the side,

the hips of quadrupeds are not built to have them rear, and the legs can't go straight down, their tail is thus behind the point of balance and they never go vertical (they would fall backward)

not sure I'm very clear...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Aside from a few nitpicks, the dwarven warrior looks ready for coloring. Here is a copy I cleaned for you.
Attachments
launch zig
launch zig
guerreroenano.png (117.36 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Does anyone besides me look at colouring these things the same way one would paint a pewter game miniature?