New Campaign Graphics

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
scott

Post by scott »

Ranger M wrote:
scott wrote:I want the square mountain-shaped thing in the center back to be the foundation for the mid-ground castle (but a little bit taller), then I want the keep facade to be built into the side of the mountain, the turrets to be replaced with something more shaped like the keep tower, then a narrow, winding, canyon-ish path leading up to it. Everything else can stay the same, except we don't need to have the bright sun. It should look very... impregnable. What do you say?
Out of curiosity, which campaign/scenario is this for?
:) There's room for both. His is too small for a splash.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

scott wrote:
Ranger M wrote: Out of curiosity, which campaign/scenario is this for?
:) There's room for both. His is too small for a splash.
??? (this after the quote makes no sense)
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Ranger M wrote:
scott wrote: :) There's room for both. His is too small for a splash.
??? (this after the quote makes no sense)
What is too small? My campaign? My splashscreen?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:| *sigh*

Scott is saying that the picture which Mille posted just now, is too small for a traditional "splash screen" - the "title" image shown at the beginning of a campaign.

Actually, it's rather similar in pixel size to nintendo game splash screens, and because of the way this one has been constructed, it likely will scale upwards rather gracefully. I suspect it could be shown at 2x or even 3x size without looking awful (which, for example, a cell-shaded drawing would).

It will obviously look oversampled, but, like, say, impressionist works, the blurring won't hurt it as much as it would other kinds of art.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

yes, but room for both in what? And what other one (me is getting confused here, and is tired which isn't helping)
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Ranger M wrote:yes, but room for both in what? And what other one (me is getting confused here, and is tired which isn't helping)
Well. I made this screen for my Swamp campaign (its not published right now.) I´m still working on this, but its a lot of work - because i really want it to be impressive. The mistake in the size is a misunderstanding i think. I have for sure bigger rendering that look good of this theme, but they look much to good in my opinion (i know this sounds strange, but bigger it only looks like a brilliant rendering, while the smaller one absolutely matches the Wesnoth style), but i didn´t want to use (for now) this as a spalsh. It is a graphic that should be displayed while storytelling at the beginning of a scenario, when the omnisciant narrator tells you something. Thats why a smaller size is quiite fine for me.

What Scott wants is a real splash screen for a different campaign and should have a different size. It will be bigger.

@Jetryl: You are absolutely right. Resized to a bigger scale the image looks still good, and not really blurry as there is a limited number of colors in this picture. IF everything it has an issue regarding block element more - not with the sharpness. - Its one of the rare cases, where i think indexed colors give you an easy to use advantage :)[/url]
Attachments
castle-big66.gif
castle-big66.gif (74.89 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Obviously, for real use there should be the highest quality version, which could then be resized down to the final size - that one is pretty low quality and you can see the indexed colour mode from a mile away. A limited number of colours never makes the image look better when scaled...or when anything at all is done to it, I think.

The lens flare should be dropped too, it makes zero sense in a Wesnoth image and mostly just makes an image look cheaper.
scott

Post by scott »

I can use the smaller version in one campaign and a larger version of the same subject (perhaps made by a different person) as a splash image in a different campaign. The smaller version accompanies [message] and the larger version accompanies [story].
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Ok, I'm still confused, :(

Which campaign? Which other campaign? Which message and which story tag? (this is probably painfully obvious to you, but not to me, and if you don't want to mention it here for whatever reason, which you seem to not want to because of all of the refering to "a campaign" instead of "campaign X", then please pm me, I'm really confused)