Dragon Portrait:(back from the dead)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dragon Master

Dragon Portrait:(back from the dead)

Post by Dragon Master »

Yo, I've been working on a dragon portrait for the dragon campaign me and niceman(soon to be renamed) are working on. I'm really in the dark as to if it fits Wesnoth style. Please tell me if anything is wrong, stuff like perspective, colors, proprtions, etc. Please note: I havent applied shading yet so this isn't the final version
Attachments
Dragonguard.png
Dragonguard.png (10.95 KiB) Viewed 4228 times
Last edited by Dragon Master on March 25th, 2006, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

I generally like it but there are some problems: 1. The body and the arms are too small. 2. The right horn has the wrong position. 3. Anti-alias the outlines.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

The expression on the face reminds me of Beavis. :)

He looks pretty cool. I agree with XJaPaN on the proportions. I know you said you aren't finished with the colors yet, but you might want to take a look at some fantasy artwork with gold armor; gold is very reflective, so it should not be one solid color.

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Well it's been a while, but I now have shaded my dragon portait. please tell me if anything else needs addressing.
Attachments
Dragonguard.png
Dragonguard.png (19.27 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Anti aliasing is neccesary
make the longer horn shorter
shade some more, like the eye, face, arms, wings.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I think less bright colors would also do good here.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

You have to work more on the shading because its almost invisible. Use more and darker colors.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

XJaPaN wrote:You have to work more on the shading because its almost invisible. Use more and darker colors.
also, grey the colors down some, they are oversaturated, and make it hurt my eyes!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Dragon Master wrote:Well it's been a while, but I now have shaded my dragon portait. please tell me if anything else needs addressing.
Bad posture, bad shape, weird proportions, flat shading... there's a long way to go on this one. It's an ok concept but does it even compare to the existing HTTT portraits? Scathing but true.

One example (so this is at least a partially constructive post) - look at the torso. It has no depth, it looks flat. It's shape is all wrong. The head is way to large compared to the torso. Dragons should be formidable - looking strong and fearsome. Your portrait has more humour than fear in it.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I'm scrapping this potrait and starting the friggen thing over. please tell which pose looks the best.
Attachments
Page 10002.JPG
Page 10002.JPG (152.39 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Probably 3. 2 looks alright but the posture is unsuitable.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I like 6, particularly becuase, being a dragon portrait, I think that it should be bigger (maybe 300x300 px) to show off that this is one of the monster units, and I think that, if done right, six could look very good.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

6. The angle is different than most.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

How dare you declare my dragon a monster unit! I'm talking about the dragon from MY faction. If you haven't seen it, try it out. Please! But yes either 6. or 3. look the best. I'm gonna go with 3. as it shows the firebreath potential of the dragon.