The Corsairs have Returned

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Looks quite good. The earlier versions were dicey, with so much black; it became hard to differentiate where sails left off and deck began. At least on an inferior monitor (laptop LCD screen).

Are you planning on making this ship into a line, or just the one unit? (I'm a fan of naval combat myself, just there isn't much place for it in wesnoth, unless one can make an entire era. I don't see that happening soon.)
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

thanks a whole lot. i am going to try and work on a line of ships yes. i am currntly trying to work on a level two version. Again thanks. :lol: do u have any suggestions for a level two version? (how it could be a noticeably level 2?)
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I would think the one you've posted is a level two, with the level one having only a single, or perhaps two, sails. The level three should have a full array of sails and a bristle of weaponry.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

Okay, i can definately see where you're coming from. The only thing is, for a level 3 should i change the sail shape so i can fit more on? (like the sails on the current ones?)
toms

Post by toms »

You are growing better, but the coloring of the last iamghe looks a bit weird.

And how does the air go in the sails?
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

It's really quite simple, toms.... Think Jabba's sail barge, or the corsair ships from LotR. It's a square with one corner tacked down, the opposite corner tacked to the mast, the other two corners tacked either to outrunner poles, or the rail.
(Yes, I know I ignored all maritime convention and jargon in that last explanation. That's because I don't like explaining an explanation.)
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

toms, what do you mean about the color? I see it needs improvement. I am all with you on that, but is it the sail or the decking/hull?

Also here's an idea for a level 1, assuming the other's a level two. Criticize generously. Please. Suggestions will be warmly welcomed.
Any other advice is also greatly appreciated since i am still new at this. Thanks :)
Attachments
corsair-lvl1.png
corsair-lvl1.png (3.92 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
toms

Post by toms »

It´s better, but I still advice you to change the angle of it(should be about 30-40 degree south-east, I think). Also, what should the stripes show? (that´s what I meant with the colour, sorry.)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I believe the main purpose of the stripes is to make the sails stand out a bit more from the rest of the ship.

toms is, however, correct on the angle... I think your ships are closer to horizontal than most mainline units. However, this is not necessarily a problem. UMC's are usually free to ignore the art conventions of normal units when desired.
dthurston

Post by dthurston »

The rigging doesn't look realistic to me. It looks like you're trying to make a fore-and-aft rigged boat, but on such a boat the most would keep the leading edge of the rear sail directly vertical. Take a look at the pictures of some of the fore-and-aft rigs on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fore-and-aft_rig
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

That's not what he's trying to make.
Think Jabba's sail barge, or the corsair ships from LotR. It's a square with one corner tacked down, the opposite corner tacked to the mast, the other two corners tacked either to outrunner poles, or the rail.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

okay thanks for all the advice! :lol: I will definately go back and try and put the ships at new angles. I have made more ships and shall post them later as they are given more "finishing"/"new" touches.

toms, for the sails I wanted them to be different from what has been done and i was sort of going for an evil look :twisted:

dthurston and all, i posted a link to a picture of what I think i am going for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cara ... rtugal.jpg

Thanks again for the advice.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

These boats look very nice, and i think they'd fit well in the game
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

Okay, I have here a redone Level 1 and a Level 3. I have not turned them to 30 -40 degrees, but I am planning on it. Hope you all like them! :P
Attachments
ships-02.png
ships-02.png (10.36 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

These might find a home in FtF. I especially like the sleek style; it seems fitting for a pirate fleet. It would also help to differentiate the pirates from the Wesnothian navy in Southern Shore.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom