Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Monsters!

Post by doofus-01 »

doofus-01 wrote:I'm trying to get animations for the scorpion (#2266),
I merged the scorpion PR. No one had objections, so onward we march.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

So, there are some giant ants in UtBS. They have some very old sprites and no portrait. The spider portrait looks like a filtered photo, I hope to avoid that here. If this works, I'll go on to the sprite once the portrait is finished.
Attachments
Giant_Ant.jpg
Giant_Ant.jpg (22.82 KiB) Viewed 13123 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Aww, the ant's looking cute good. And yes, the spider is a filtered photo. :whistle:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. Ants do look kind of cute, until they swarm or bite.
This is how the sprite is looking. I'll put it all in a PR later.
EDIT: #3190
Attachments
ant.png
ant.png (1.63 KiB) Viewed 13016 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

If this is still a WIP, I think it could use a darker/clearer separation between its pincers and its head. Other than that, it's a clear improvement.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Looks very good, but the antenna bothers me. In the portrait it is clearly bellow the eyes, but in the sprite it seems to be on top of the head.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Sorry for not replying, I did try to take your critiques into account.
Vyncyn wrote: May 28th, 2018, 6:07 am In the portrait it is clearly bellow the eyes, but in the sprite it seems to be on top of the head.
I went with what I thought was more readable. For a real ant, the jointed antennae could be an excuse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sche ... omy-en.svg
romii22

Post by romii22 »

dofus-01 wrote: May 27th, 2018, 3:20 am So, there are some giant ants in UtBS. They have some very old sprites and no portrait. The spider portrait looks like a filtered photo, I hope to avoid that here. If this works, I'll go on to the sprite once the portrait is finished.
Wow, I didn't even know that these were a thing! Logged back in for the first time in ages for this. I really like the young sprites, and I actually strongly approve of the differences in coloring between designs- it makes the upgrading feel less like 'it's the same design just slightly bigger'. In fact, with so many size variants, a lv1-lv2-lv3 upgrade line with the lv3 scorpion in like a dark crimson color scheme would be entirely plausible!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

romii22 wrote: March 23rd, 2019, 5:43 pm In fact, with so many size variants, a lv1-lv2-lv3 upgrade line with the lv3 scorpion in like a dark crimson color scheme would be entirely plausible!
There was a recent change that gives rise to a variation (#1299), I haven't looked at it yet, but the color scheme would probably be relevant there too.
-----------
Wolves were brought up in another thread, I've got a start on some wolf portraits. They are at various stages of completion, hopefully they will be good to go someday soon.
Attachments
wolves-chewing.jpg
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

This is great, I hope you complete them soon.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Awesome! I've wished we had a wolf portrait for a while. Three of them is even better! I have one nitpick: The skin of their noses shouldn't be creased on the top surface.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Wow ! Those are really good portraits of wolves!!!! xD
ghype

Post by ghype »

I guess the right one could work for lv1 and lv2 and the middle one for the lv3 wolf.
beetlenaut wrote: April 15th, 2019, 1:34 pm I have one nitpick: The skin of their noses shouldn't be creased on the top surface.
what exactly do you mean by that? i could try to fix it if i knew what you mean.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

ghype wrote: April 17th, 2019, 4:35 pm
beetlenaut wrote: April 15th, 2019, 1:34 pm I have one nitpick: The skin of their noses shouldn't be creased on the top surface.
what exactly do you mean by that? i could try to fix it if i knew what you mean.
This:
wolf.jpg
The line makes the noses look a little like machinery. I don't know if you need to worry about it though. doofus did say these are not finished, so he might already be planning to work on this.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hah, that's not nitpicking, it will be fixed. The paws could use a little more work too.
ghype wrote: April 17th, 2019, 4:35 pm i could try to fix it if i knew what you mean.
This is an open-source project, but that offer does seem a little strange to me. Maybe I shouldn't have used a passive voice earlier. :hmm: