CampGen release

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Okay--I did that and it just didn't load it at all. I think I'll stick with the old fashioned way, but hey! This is a great way to get more campaign makers! :D
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I think that the proble mwith CampGen is that it's completely oriented around how to make campaign making easier. However, it is often helpful to have a little "code editor" at the side. In fact, I think a code editor that highlights tags and lines in colors (like most text editors for programming languages) and has some field box at the bottom (like Dreamweaver) would be more helpful to many designers than CampGen.
sjl

Event trigger problems

Post by sjl »

When I try to create events in Campgen, I can create the events, but not the triggers (I have to do these manually). However, once they have been created, I can edit them easily. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? :(
I'm working on a campaign, and it's taking ages going back and forth between CampGen and my text editor.
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

Yeah, it's all but obvious how to do it. For example, if you want to make a death event, this is how you do it:

In the Scenario dialog, click on the "Events and Actions" button to open the events dialog. There, in the menu just below "New Event or Action" select "event". Then hit "Create Sub" to create it below the currently selected entry (or "Create New" to create after it).

It should now have placed a "New unknown event". Now select that, and look to the right below "Trigger". There is now a menu, where you can select e.g. "die". The entry should change to "New die event". You can now use the "Filter" button to fill in when it should trigger, and place messages or other actions below it.

If you double click (or hit Edit button) the entry, it will open a map tab, where you can e.g. place units who appear ifs omeone dies, or place a tree, or new moveto event available from now on, and so on..

But yeah, best bet is still to check in a text editor what it does. I failed so far to somehow give a good overview over everything.. my idea was to eventually make the "WML Inspector" more useful, like have it always open in a side pane and jump to currently modified settings.

Also, any other suggestions how to make this more obvious are welcome. Hm, and I hope I didn't completely misunderstand the problem :)
sjl

Post by sjl »

Thanks. Keep up the good work.
You could have a separate button to create a new trigger, underneath the other trigger-related buttons. Also, you could place the edit event button at the top of the window, and the create new event buttons at the bottom. This would make the edit buttons the newbie's first choice, instead of getting muddled up creating a new event.
allefant

Post by allefant »

You could have a separate button to create a new trigger, underneath the other trigger-related buttons. Also, you could place the edit event button at the top of the window, and the create new event buttons at the bottom. This would make the edit buttons the newbie's first choice, instead of getting muddled up creating a new event.
Ok, all of that is changed now after your suggestions in CVS :)
littlebeast

X kills X

Post by littlebeast »

I'm trying to make a campaign in campgen (as I'm too lazy to learn WML) and I was wondering- is there a way to trigger an event when a specific unit kills a specific other unit, and trigger a different event if a different unit kills it?
Also, can you specify a location as "where X unit was killed"?

Edit- Also, the "default" picture in the unit editor won't stay changed, at least in the Windows version (I put this in the bug reports too.). And it won't seem to let me add missile frames.

edit2- Well, I made some progress... I got it so that if unit X attacks unit Y and kills it, you win; and if any other unit attacks and kills unit Y, you lose; but if unit Z attacks unit Y and doesn't kill it, then unit X attacks unit Y and kills it, you lose, which is not supposed to happen.
Oh, and the "event happens on turn X" doesn't seem to work.
allefant

Post by allefant »

Also, can you specify a location as "where X unit was killed"?
Well - I only tried it with "terrain", not sure it works with anything else. You can manually enter $x1,$y1 or $x2,$x2 to mean the positions of the event which triggered it. If you file a feature request about what specifically you want to do, I can consider adding it :)
Edit- Also, the "default" picture in the unit editor won't stay changed, at least in the Windows version (I put this in the bug reports too.). And it won't seem to let me add missile frames.
Yeah, I stopped in the middle of the unit editor.. only put it into the release to get bug reports like this :) I'll see if I can fix this problem. But there's some major stuff in the unit editor simply missing yet, and also animation WML changed somewhat recently - so can't promise it will work before 1.2 release of Wesnoth.
edit2- Well, I made some progress... I got it so that if unit X attacks unit Y and kills it, you win; and if any other unit attacks and kills unit Y, you lose; but if unit Z attacks unit Y and doesn't kill it, then unit X attacks unit Y and kills it, you lose, which is not supposed to happen.
Hm, were you using die events? The first filter should be Y in both die events, and in the first die event the second filter should be X. This should not be affected by fights where Y doesn't die at all.. but I will investigate.
Oh, and the "event happens on turn X" doesn't seem to work.
I will investigate, thanks.
littlebeast

Post by littlebeast »

Hm, were you using die events? The first filter should be Y in both die events, and in the first die event the second filter should be X. This should not be affected by fights where Y doesn't die at all.. but I will investigate.
Oh, no, I wasn't. I was using attack sub die events. I thought there probably was a better way of defining it but I couldn't figure it out. :roll:
littlebeast

hmm...

Post by littlebeast »

Actually, a nice feature to have would be if you were able to specify a unit by name, rather than only by type, role, etc. As it is, it might be possible to accidentally let the player trigger something with a unit that is not supposed to be able to trigger it. (e.g. if you're supposed to use a specific ghost to do something, but they just use a random ghost to do it.) The "role" thing does help, but it would still be a nice thing to have. :wink:

edit: You might want to fix the typo of "objectvies" :lol:

edit2: *is using edits to avoid clogging the page* Adding coordinates and unit type to unit event edit box, so you don't have to go to the map to use it, would be nice.

edit3: Music editor doesn't seem to work yet. Bug, or unfinished like unit editor?
I'm not trying to be demanding, though I may seem it... it's just, if I see it, I report it, in case you didn't see it. Keep at it, at your own pace :D
allefant

Re: hmm...

Post by allefant »

littlebeast wrote:Actually, a nice feature to have would be if you were able to specify a unit by name, rather than only by type, role, etc. As it is, it might be possible to accidentally let the player trigger something with a unit that is not supposed to be able to trigger it. (e.g. if you're supposed to use a specific ghost to do something, but they just use a random ghost to do it.) The "role" thing does help, but it would still be a nice thing to have. :wink:
I think "description" is what you want. Needs documenting though for sure.
edit: You might want to fix the typo of "objectvies" :lol:
Thanks, fixed in CVS.
edit2: *is using edits to avoid clogging the page* Adding coordinates and unit type to unit event edit box, so you don't have to go to the map to use it, would be nice.
This works in CVS now. I should make a new release I suppose.
edit3: Music editor doesn't seem to work yet. Bug, or unfinished like unit editor?
It's supposed to work. I only tried with the main music though, campaign-specific music files might not work yet. I'll investigate in any case..
I'm not trying to be demanding, though I may seem it... it's just, if I see it, I report it, in case you didn't see it. Keep at it, at your own pace :D
Sure, reporting it is the only way to get something fixed, unless I happen to need the same myself.
littlebeast

Re: hmm...

Post by littlebeast »

allefant wrote:
littlebeast wrote: edit3: Music editor doesn't seem to work yet. Bug, or unfinished like unit editor?
It's supposed to work. I only tried with the main music though, campaign-specific music files might not work yet. I'll investigate in any case..
Actually, I think there are a lot of features of CampGen right now with the "edit syndrome": They work, but only if you already have something selected under them. (event editor, missile frames, probably music editor, maybe story parts too.) I can still manage to mess with events with the auto-placing of an objective change events, but the rest... not so much.

edit: Um. I was using the die events like you said, and I killed unit Y with a counterattack. Then it didn't do either victory or defeat. I'll try changing one thing that might have messed it up but that's all I can think of.
Oh and I got the turn X event to work so I don't know what was going on earlier.
greywolfexcel

Post by greywolfexcel »

I'm using version 0.17, and I'm curious as to how to use the option action. I can't figure out how to use it, though - all that comes up is an empty window. I figured it might use the first line as narration, and all succeeding lines as choices, but when I tested it, it doesn't work. And even if it did work, I wouldn't know how to change anything based on the results (there's no if-then-else procedure), since I wouldn't even know how to get the results. Is this feature still being developed or do I just not know how to use it?
Liminiality2

Post by Liminiality2 »

Does this thing have a manual? personaly, I think that this is a wonderful thing but if your going to try to make makeing campagins easier then mabye you should include instructions
(no offense but plain WML on notepad makes more sense to me)
NO FOG is certain - Elvish Pillager
Campaign: Revenge of the Elves http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11477
allefant

Post by allefant »

About the option, you very much have to know how to use it right now. Basically, this is how it works: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/InterfaceActionsWML

It has to be a sub-tag of a message, and then you would put multiple command subtags below it, which in turn can have any other actions again. Each line of the option will cause the stuff under the corresponding command to be executed.

About the manual - writing a manual is a lot of work. A complete manual might be as big as the WML guide. I did start one at the wiki though, just not very far at all yet: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CampGen/Tutorial and http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CampGen/Reference