Scenario DotW, FIXED VERSION. Other thread is bugged...

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lunar2

Scenario DotW, FIXED VERSION. Other thread is bugged...

Post by Lunar2 »

<<BIG BUG SQUISHED, DOWNLOAD AGAIN PLEASE!>>

It is FINALLY released for all those who were waiting for it.

This is an "RPG" game, where 2 teams of humans fight each other, and getting gold when killing, using those gold to powerup themselves by buying items in shops. Teams of goblins spawn each turn to fight the neeverending battle, as the players have a totally different goal...

Set player 4 and 8 to computer, and unoccupied slots to empty. Make sure "Use Map Settings" is turned on!

Unzip, read the readme and drag contents into your data/campaigns folder, get in multiplayer and start the game!

It is made specifically for Wesnoth 1.1.

"Credits:"

"Appleide: Creator, original coder who caused this project to come into existance."

"Elvish Pillager: Original map design, WML consultant"

"Lunar2: Shop/Map balancer, code contributor providing extensive modifications"

"Yogin: Assistant code contributor"

"claus: Early version WML consultant"

To all those who had wanted the much much earlier versions, you can PM Appleide about it.

---

I had to make a clean thread after this. I found out that neither file over there is working. So, I fixed it, and here it is:
Last edited by Lunar2 on February 7th, 2006, 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Back from retirement, current project: Auction
appleide

Post by appleide »

What do you mean?? I am sure EP's file was up there...
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Lunar2

Post by Lunar2 »

His doesn't work either, he forgot to take out your can_recruit=0 tag in the era file.
Lunar2

Post by Lunar2 »

Posting a new version soon. Introduced a new banking feature that allows a team to redistribute their funds, if they wish to do so. Also, more pricing and era balances.
Lunar2

Post by Lunar2 »

Tested portability to 1.0.2:

No Dwarven Villages=Bad. Map in general looks uglier.

Apparently [avoid] tags don't work in 1.0.2. This means creeps can and will steal villages of both teams, making village income be a random factor rather than a reliable source of income.

Rest appears to work, but villages will have to be taken out to compensate.
Lunar2

Post by Lunar2 »

(delete post mod/admin)
Last edited by Lunar2 on February 7th, 2006, 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
grochti

Post by grochti »

I really like this map. Played about a dozen games (and won most :twisted: ).

In my opinion "creep hp upgrade" should be more expensive than "creep attack upgrade". The first is much more usefull in the beginning, creep attack gets interesting only after quite a few creep hp upgrades which do not happen in many games.

I don´t know if its possible... I think it would be great if creep upgrade costs would depend on the number of players that take part.
In 1v1 creep hp upgrade at 330 gp beats everything else.
In 2v2 it is still overpowered imho.
in 3v3 (ok thats what this map is made for i think :wink: ) balancing looks quite fine
Lunar2

Post by Lunar2 »

Current version posted has a bug. Treat Rage Stone as if it costs 390g, because it does. The shop says 400g. If you know anything about WML, it's a quick fix.

This map wasn't made for 1v1, and I have won more than I've lost in 2v2 when a team decides to creep HP spam me. The reason why damage can be better is if both teams generally ignore their creeps in the early going. You know yours will die, but also get a hit in, so damage becomes more important. And naturally, damage helps the trolls out more too.

Most recent version has creep+s at 350g. They'll probably stay there unless it becomes too popular a strategy.
appleide

Post by appleide »

:shock:

Lunar2... You copied my signature... :?

Fixed the Rage stone...
Attachments
_DotW_scenario.zip
(5.71 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Lunar2

Post by Lunar2 »

" "

^ See that? That, sir, is a blank line! Your sig does not have one of those!
Troth

Slow

Post by Troth »

Slow is overpowered. In an evenly matched game slow decides who wins and who not in the end when it comes to zoc'ing. I'd like to suggest taking all slowing units out. The team with no slow (even if its slightly stronger) simply cant attack the enemy halberdier. So no give and take which makes up for a rather bad experience and a feeling of waisted time.

Great scenario (once again)
Lecter

Post by Lecter »

How do you instal each components of this maps?
Lunar2

Re: Slow

Post by Lunar2 »

Troth wrote:Slow is overpowered. In an evenly matched game slow decides who wins and who not in the end when it comes to zoc'ing. I'd like to suggest taking all slowing units out. The team with no slow (even if its slightly stronger) simply cant attack the enemy halberdier. So no give and take which makes up for a rather bad experience and a feeling of waisted time.

Great scenario (once again)
Even with 18 movement for 2-3 units, a slowing unit prevents them from reaching the base?

The disadvantage of slow (Merman Netcaster, Goblin Pillager) are their relative weakness in the early game. Creep-based strategies work rather well against both, limiting the movement of the Merman and killing the Pillager.
JW

Post by JW »

Note that the merman is also quite limited in his movement options. Outside of the riverford he is a sitting duck for counter-attacks.
Troth

Post by Troth »

I guess one has to go through such a game. Otherwise it will be hard to imagine it. I did play this scenario a lot myself, although maybe not as much as Lunar2 or JW.

The unit most in doubt is the Goblin Pillager. Merman Netcaster may be different. Usually you would need all 3 heroes to zoc the intruders. If you kill one or have a Troll or two you might think about getting out yourself to hunt down the enemy Halberdier. You may get to the middle of the board - that's where your Journey gets stopped by the 17+ movement point Pillager. You are slow, he is not - making both impossible: defending or attacking.

All this said i admit its a rare occassion. Overall i think a Pillager in skilled hands is more powerful than a high rated Red Mage.