Forgotten Legacy - Unfinished (5 Scenarios Ready)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

db0

Forgotten Legacy - Unfinished (5 Scenarios Ready)

Post by db0 »

---

With the third scenario finished I wanted to start a new thread for the campaign I am working on to have a more clear base of posts.

The Forgotten Legacy is a campaign focusing on the Saurians as a faction of their own. I don't know yet how big it will be (probably not very much) but it will have interesting storyline and an unexpected finalle.

Most saurian units within are custom of my own design so you won't be playing on familiar territory. They are more to my vision of how the saurians should be.

Campaign is still in the very early stages and any feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: I removed the WML code since I've fixed it, in order to make the first post more clean.

PS: If anyone could make me some specific saurian sprites I need I'd be grateful.

EDIT: Removed the campaign as an attachment on this thread. Get it from the campaign server.
Last edited by db0 on March 29th, 2008, 11:21 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I'll be pretty busy the next two weeks, so I doubt I'll have much time for playtesting, but I am exited to see that someone is taking up the task of completing and maintaining this campaign.

I will at least check to see if the bug I reported in the previous thread still holds.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

If I understood correctly, you have four guys, let's call them A, B, C and D and you want to make it so that you get a victory if A dies or if B, C and D are all dead, right?

The simplest way to do that would be with two events:

Code: Select all

[event]
name=die
[filter]
description=A
[/filter]
{VICTORY_SCRIPT}
[/event]
and:

[event]
name=die
[filter]
description=B
[or]
description=C
[/or]
[or]
description=D
[/or]
[/filter]
[set_variable]
name=kills
add=1
[/set_variable]
[if]
[variable]
name=kills
equals=3
[/variable]
[then]
{VICTORY_SCRIPT}
[/then]
[/if]
[/event]
I think you'd have to set variable 'kills' to be equal to 0 in the start event, otherwise, it should work.

Hope this helps.
db0

Post by db0 »

Temuchin Khan wrote:I'll be pretty busy the next two weeks, so I doubt I'll have much time for playtesting, but I am exited to see that someone is taking up the task of completing and maintaining this campaign.

I will at least check to see if the bug I reported in the previous thread still holds.

Well, I'm not actually completing the campaign. The previous one was...weak so to speak so I'm redesigning it from the ground up. Other than some names and the first map's likeness there isn't much in common.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

db0 wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote:I'll be pretty busy the next two weeks, so I doubt I'll have much time for playtesting, but I am exited to see that someone is taking up the task of completing and maintaining this campaign.

Well, I'm not actually completing the campaign. The previous one was...weak so to speak so I'm redesigning it from the ground up. Other than some names and the first map's likeness there isn't much in common.
Well, I realized I had misfiled something and got it working. And I played through the first two levels despite myself. I like what I see.

And having played through it, I can see what you mean when you say there really aren't that many similarities.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
db0

Post by db0 »

Casual User wrote:
The simplest way to do that would be with two events:

{snipage}

Hope this helps.
Hey thanks. btw, how did you manage to put your post in the middle of the thread? wrong time? I've never seen that before ;)

In anycase, I've modified the scenario as per your suggestion but I haven't tested it yet. Below I have the updated campaign (too updated once again, saves won't work) and the 3rd scenario in test format.

For anyone that wants to help: If you install the campaign and copy the 3.test.cfg to your campaigns folder, you can run

wesnoth -t
and play it immediately, bypassing the 2 previous campaigns.

If anyone cares to test it to see if the first victory condition works, I'd be grateful ;)

Edit: Attachments removed
Last edited by db0 on January 11th, 2006, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
db0

Post by db0 »

The second victory condition didn't work again.

Question. If I have two events that have the trigger will only one of them activate or both sequentialy? I'm wondering because I have an event that triggers after each target dies (to send a message) and the one where you win if all three are dead.

EDIT: Alright, after some trial and error I fixed it. Here it is.

EDIT: Attachment removed
Last edited by db0 on January 11th, 2006, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
lynx rufus

Bug in second scenario

Post by lynx rufus »

Howdy,

Each time in the second scenario (in both of your last downloads) when I advance S'Saskin I get the following message:

Error while playing the game: game_error: Could not find the unit being advanced to: Saurian Jarl

and the game quits. :shock:

Ergo, I cannot test the third scenario.

Lr
db0

Post by db0 »

Bah! Missed that.

put the updated file in the /units folder of the campaign
Last edited by db0 on January 30th, 2008, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lynx rufus

Third Scenario - No Bugs

Post by lynx rufus »

Just finished the Bitter Swamp and no bugs... :D

the ambushers in the second scenario could use some names.

Overall the campaign is far superior, with all due respect to the orignator, to Out of the Swamps. Arguably they are very different and thus comparisms are not valid.

The only thing that has bugged me about the Suarians is that as cold-blooded creatures they should be less efficient at night. It would be odd to term them "lawful" but "chaotic"? However, I think that is beyond the scope of your campiagn.

Keep up the excellent work.
db0

Post by db0 »

No, you're actually right. I never liked their chaotic alignment and I may just make them all neutral or lawful. I don't know, are lizards nocturnal creatures?
The Skalds are already neutral, and since I've made some heavy changes to the rest of the units I'll just make this one more.

Thanks for the comments lynx.
lynx rufus

Lizards

Post by lynx rufus »

Lizards are a tricky bunch.

Being cold-blooded they generally need sunlight/heat to warm the blood thus they are more active during the day, and in warm climates (we don't have many reptiles in Yukon for example) but lizards like geckos are very active in evenings as that is when their prey (insects) are out in abundance.

It is theorised that dinosaurs may have been warm-blooded.

Anyway, this is fantasy and these guys have the secret of fire so maybe we should just leave well enough alone.

Here a piece to muddy the swamp as it were:

It has always been thought that mammals being "warm-blooded" were one step above the reptiles and usurped their role as the dominant land animals by the end of the Cretaceous. Then paleontology went and showed us that mammals had been living under reptile rule for over 185 million years. So maybe endothermy isn't the advantage. If your an ectotherm then you can, instead of using most of your energy towards keeping warm, devote almost 100% of it to hunting, foraging, mating, and all those other things that make life interesting. When things cool down, you slow down to compensate for it. If your endothermic on the other hand you can stay active in any weather. Of course in order to stay active you'll have to keep eating and the cooler it gets the more you'll have to eat. So when even the most resilient ectotherm is in torpor, you can stay awake, just so you can search for more food to keep you going.
With this in mind, one should expect to find a lack of reptiles the further north one goes, yet this is not always the case. While the majority of reptiles live around equatorial regions of the planet and while their numbers do decrease towards the poles (both of these things are also common of birds & mammals as well), we still do find reptiles that survive in rather cold areas of the world. From lizards in Tibet to the leatherback sea turtles surviving in arctic waters. How do these animals accomplish these feats while still remaining "cold-blooded?"

For Tibetan animals such as Thermophis baleyi, the trick lies in where they are located. This species maintains it's survival on the cold Tibetan plateus by living near hot springs where it lives off of fish and invertebrates. Lizards and snakes of the region (i.e. Laudakia sacra) tend to have longer basking times and give birth to live young. This does not explain all the animals here though, for instance the little gecko Cyrtodactylus tibetanus, which attains a length of only 10.16cm, not only survives on these montane places, but does so while maintaining the nocturnal existence so common to Gekkonidae. Just how these lizards survive the 4.4° C (40° F) and cooler nights, while maintaining their 10° C (50° F) body temperatures, is still a bit of a mystery. One theory on how they handle the cold is by absorbing heat on the rocks in the day and using it as a bit of a thermal battery. Another thermally enigmatic gecko is Palmatogecko rangei from the Namib desert. This little reptile is also active on 4° nights with an added wind chill from the Atlantic as well. One of the most thermally adaptive of all the reptiles though, is the Leatherback sea turtle (Dermochelys coriacea). One of the means that allows these turtles to maintain internal temperatures 18° higher than their surrounding environment (64° F) is their sheer size. The term used for this is known as gigantic endothermy or gigantothermy.

http://reptilis.net/reptiles.html
db0

Re: Third Scenario - No Bugs

Post by db0 »

lynx rufus wrote: the ambushers in the second scenario could use some names.
You mean the saurians? They were supposed to have random generated ones (as if recruited) but it seems it didn't work. I'll check it out.

The lizard info could come in handy as well. Thanks once again.
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

Compliments, very handsome campaign so far and much more logically arrangd than the original one.

Some comments:

At the end of the 2nd scenario it's said the saurians will go for a visit toi the DRAK Clan; shouldn't that be the SKLAD clan?

Maybe a end dialog between the temporary orcish ally and the saurians at the end of the 2nd scenario would help to keep the atmosphere...

The "Jarl" unit is missing, so if you manage to upgrade your leader the campaign exits, as it can't find the unit.

In the third scenario you are still able to recruit orcish assasins which I suppose this is not intended.

Fairly balanced so far (playing on normal) with the first 2 scenarios qiute easy as it should be - taking the orcs of guard - and the third one a bit more difficult.

Regards
db0

Post by db0 »

l'ultimo cruco wrote:Compliments, very handsome campaign so far and much more logically arrangd than the original one.
Thanks
Some comments:

At the end of the 2nd scenario it's said the saurians will go for a visit toi the DRAK Clan; shouldn't that be the SKLAD clan?
Could be taken any way, but I can see where counfusion could be. I was meaning to change it anyway but forgot.
Maybe a end dialog between the temporary orcish ally and the saurians at the end of the 2nd scenario would help to keep the atmosphere...
You mean after the orc dies? Well, maybe. I just don't see it that everyone has something to say as he dies. Some just die ;)
The "Jarl" unit is missing, so if you manage to upgrade your leader the campaign exits, as it can't find the unit.

Fixed it, look above. Need to update the whole campaign (grrr me)
In the third scenario you are still able to recruit orcish assasins which I suppose this is not intended.
Recruit or recall? You shouldn't be able to recruit (and I tried to prevent recall but must have missed something). Hmmm, it seems I'll have to play it again to see any possible bugs.
Fairly balanced so far (playing on normal) with the first 2 scenarios qiute easy as it should be - taking the orcs of guard - and the third one a bit more difficult.

Regards
I'd still like to balance out the turns to avoid extra money. If you all can give me the number of turns you finished the scenarios it'd be great.