squads for the future

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

insomnia

squads for the future

Post by insomnia »

maybe on larger battles the person shown is the squad leader and have his troops shown in the unit description seen as on many scenarios you see battles between 5 men which hardly counts as a battle...

this idea has no real use but for aesthetics and making the game more realistic (possibly)
i was thinking of the Kingdom under fire barracks when i htought this up so that might explain it
scott

Post by scott »

You are right. You, the player, can consider each unit to actually symbolically represent 10 men, 100 men, or even more. Logistics such as food, weapon supplies, clothing, supply transport, and administration are left out for you to imagine. On the other hand, you can see that unit as just one soldier. The scale between hexes is possibly a mile or more. Or, it could be several feet. This was deliberately left ambiguous by Dave.

Since it is supposed to be ambiguous, you wouldn't want to actually do what you're proposing, but you have the right idea.

Also, please try to type in complete sentences. If you're posting on a message board, your goal is communication. Why would you then intentionally make your post harder to read?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Multiple troops in one hex? Sounds FPI, but I'm not sure....

You could do that easily enough on your own. It won't become mainline, most likely, but you could easily go into the unit configuration files and change the descriptions. Example?
Elvish Champion

This champion has a battalion of elite swordsmen under his command. They are versatile, quick, and knowledgable in woodlore.
This could be made better through the use of the Swarm ability, in the same manner I plan on using it to reflect Squadrons of fighters in Spacenoth.
Aisikle

Post by Aisikle »

how goes spacenoth btw?
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Multiple troops in one hex? Sounds FPI, but I'm not sure....

You could do that easily enough on your own. It won't become mainline, most likely, but you could easily go into the unit configuration files and change the descriptions. Example?
Elvish Champion

This champion has a battalion of elite swordsmen under his command. They are versatile, quick, and knowledgable in woodlore.
This could be made better through the use of the Swarm ability, in the same manner I plan on using it to reflect Squadrons of fighters in Spacenoth.
So, adding Swarm makes Wesnoth more versatile in scale... damn.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I started having wonderful ideas for the applications of Swarm when it first came out. This was my favourite; using it to represent the collective strength of a group of units.
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

No comprehendo 1337
Last edited by romnajin on February 17th, 2006, 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sorry for the meaningless post
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Just so we're clear,
you are free to imagine that each unit represents a squad. Swarm is not the beginning of Mainline Wesnoth switching it's descriptions and graphics to explicitly represent squads.

First the only advantage is the "realistic" appeal. In case anyone hasn't noticed, "realism" is not our goal.
Secondly, if you shrink down a unit so that 6 or so units fit in a hex, suddenly you don't have enough pixels to tell many of our units apart.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Oh yes, I know. But Swarm is a delightfully versatile ability.

And as always, anyone with the time or inclination could use Swarm to represent regimental combat.