1.0 CAMPAIGN SERVER vs 1.1 CAMPAIGN SERVER

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

1.0 CAMPAIGN SERVER vs 1.1 CAMPAIGN SERVER

Post by scott »

We're using caps today to catch your attention.

Battle for Wesnoth v1.0 is a stand-alone game, one that we hope will be around for a long time.

Development continues, however, and v1.1 should be out soon. The game that will result from this and future development releases may be a much different game than you're playing now: there are upgraded images, altered stats, new abilities, changed image locations, more robust WML (for ex. Boucman's post on movement and general animations), and possibly new server features.

It is expected that at some point scenarios and units that work for 1.0 will no longer work for 1.1+. At the very least, unit balancing makes backwards compatibility less than ideal.

THEREFORE

You as a campaign writer or maintainer must decide which version you will develop for.

In the past you had to keep up with the latest version. Now, you have a choice. You can create a campaign compatible with 1.0, or you can make it compatible with the current development version (presently 1.1).

There are benefits to either. Obviously, using the latest dev version gives you access to the latest features. On the other hand, writing for 1.0 gives you a large base and stable features.

If you have a campaign already written, your options are as follows:
1. Formalize it as a 1.0.x campaign. Then, you can make a separate 1.1+ version or simply start on something new.
2. Attempt to keep it compatible with both 1.0.x and the current dev version. This may eventually become impossible.
3. Forget about 1.0.x and just keep it current with the latest dev release.

The reason this matters is that we expect to have a separate campaign server for 1.1+ campaigns. Anything on the current campaign server should be 100% compatible with 1.0.x. Anything written for 1.1+ has to be uploaded separately to the second server (as soon as 1.1 is out and the second server is up).

It's a clean break that allows the coders the greatest freedom to change things as they see fit.

P.S. of the 3 options above, I recommend #1 for current campaigns and #3 for new campaigns.
Last edited by scott on February 25th, 2007, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

A second campaign server now runs at:

campaigns.wesnoth.org:15003
szopen

Post by szopen »

frame wrote:A second campaign server now runs at:

campaigns.wesnoth.org:15003
Does it?
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Does anyone know the deal with the campaign servers and automatic Wescamp synchronizations? It is this that is holding up the 1.11 FtF update.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

MadMax wrote:Does anyone know the deal with the campaign servers and automatic Wescamp synchronizations? It is this that is holding up the 1.11 FtF update.
I believe I am supposed to be making that happen and I have had a serious lack of time lately.
However things are clearing up a bit and I hope to put in some time on it this weekend. It still probably won't happen very quickly though.
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

Now that we're in 1.2.2, I was hoping we could get this unpinned, or at least updated.
Creator and Maintainer of "Where Angels Fear To Tread"
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

Can you explain what you want unpinned? The context doesn't make it clear to me.

Personally, I won't have sufficient time to do anything with Wescamp any time soon. I will probably start easing back into to doing more once I finish moving to my new house. But the code has changed a lot since I last studied it, so I won't be doing a lot right away.

I have been trying to keep on top of the campaign server. There have been some network issues since the people I share the service with (at their house) started running that electronic sheep screen saver. We have something limping a long for now and I am looking at getting us a shared router with traffic shaping to keep the low priority stuff from wrecking things for my server and their voip phone.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I de-announcementified the thread. A new similar one should probably be made when the 1.3.1 release comes out.