New Campaign: Survival

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Casual User

New Campaign: Survival

Post by Casual User »

Good morning!

I've just posted a new campaign on the server. It is called 'Survival' and it chronicles the adventures of a band of villagers from the northlands who are simply trying to, well, survive...

The campaign has ten scenarios of which two are talk and eight are fighting. The storyline is linear.

The download _should_ work fine. I've tried it and it works (at least on my computer).

The campaign is 'finished' in that I've made all the scenarios and probably won't make any major changes to the storyline.

That being said, I haven't balanced (I'm not even sure it's feasible), and I'm open to minor plot changes, so any suggestions and comments are welcome...

I've also tried to remove as many bugs as possible, but I'll bet 5 to 1 there still are some.

In any case, this is the first time I actually post a campaign, so it would be nice to get some feedback about it.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

In the first scenario, you can't win! I think the x=1-25 in moveto is buggy, because when I changed the value to 8 it worked.
Clint Eastwood

Post by Clint Eastwood »

Hey pal, the shepherd help file is not working, so you better fix it before it gets on my nerves.
"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it. "
Clint Eastwood
Clint Eastwood

Post by Clint Eastwood »

Also the starting location of the leader of the side 4 on the battle for burbank is invalid. You should fix it if you value your life.
"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it. "
Clint Eastwood
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Use edit button cowboy.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!
In the first scenario, you can't win! I think the x=1-25 in moveto is buggy, because when I changed the value to 8 it worked.
Weird...

I must have played the first scenario a good ten times because it used to be my debugging scenario, and it worked fine.

1. Has anyone had the same problem?
2. Are you sure you had evacuated all the houses?
Hey pal, the shepherd help file is not working, so you better fix it before it gets on my nerves.
Unit help files are generated by the game itself, but I have no idea how... In other words, there really isn't much I can do. Sometimes, help files aren't generated for custom units. I've noticed this before.
Also the starting location of the leader of the side 4 on the battle for burbank is invalid. You should fix it if you value your life.
It's supposed to be that way; and if you give away the little surprise in that scenario, 'you'll have 24 hours to leave town...'
dvlenk6

Post by dvlenk6 »

That TOTAL_RECALL in the utilitites, wow!

you could replace all those recalls with this:

Code: Select all

[while]
[variable]
name=counter    ## or whatever you want to call it.
less_than=100   ## or how ever many times you want to recall.
[/variable]
[do]
   [recall]
   [filter]
   side=1
   [/filter]
   [/recall]
   {VARIABLE_OP counter add 1}
[/do]
[/while]
{CLEAR_VARIABLE counter}
Takes up a lot less space :lol:
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Casual User wrote:
It's supposed to be that way; and if you give away the little surprise in that scenario, 'you'll have 24 hours to leave town...'
Shouldn't you use no_leader=yes?

Post by guest »

Tried it on normal difficulty. No chance of winning the first scenario, except with sick luck. (I would have expected new units to emerge from evacuated houses, to help in the process.)
Steelclad Brian

Post by Steelclad Brian »

guest wrote:Tried it on normal difficulty. No chance of winning the first scenario, except with sick luck. (I would have expected new units to emerge from evacuated houses, to help in the process.)
Really? I thought the first scenario was easy. The orcs can't even reach your town until you're mostly done.
scott

Post by scott »

guest wrote:Tried it on normal difficulty. No chance of winning the first scenario, except with sick luck. (I would have expected new units to emerge from evacuated houses, to help in the process.)
Just recruit some. 3 is enough.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
kilder
Translator

Post by kilder »

Good afternoon! (here at least)

Nice and fun campaign, i like the settings, however, i can only play the first two scenarios, because when I reach the third, there's a message error saying:
BfW 1.0.2 wrote:
The game could bnot be loaded: load_game_failed: Invalid starting position (0,0) for the leader of side 4.
Casual User wrote:

Huh? So it is intended to malfunction? I'm afraid I've misunderstood you :?
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

dvlenk6 wrote:you could replace all those recalls with this:...
I'll probably use your code. That being said, mine was a lot easier to make :P .
scott wrote:Just recruit some. 3 is enough.
Recruit more than 3. Seriously, otherwise you'll be screwed later on.
kilder wrote:Nice and fun campaign, i like the settings, however, i can only play the first two scenarios, because when I reach the third, there's a message error saying:...
Ayyy! We're not using the same versions for Wesnoth, this is probably it. I'm guessing 1.0.2 doesn't work with undefined starting locations for sides... I'll use no_leader=yes, but thing is, they will have a leader later on...
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Sorry for the double post, just wanted to point out that I've uploaded a slightly different version where I use the new recall and have defined no_leader=yes for side 4. I can't tell you if it fixes the problem since I didn't have the problem in the first place...

I'm also not sure when new versions of scenarios are used, depending on loading. I have the impression that, if you load a scenario, the game will use the old version, so you should probably load Blue Woods, not Battle for Burbank directly...
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

So long as you are loading the start of scenario save,and the id of the scenario hasn't changed, then it will use the newest version (if you have shut down wesnoth since downloading it.