The Magic of Wesnoth - Magical Quest Camapign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Slainte

The Magic of Wesnoth - Magical Quest Camapign

Post by Slainte »

Well, talking with Dave in th IRC he propossed to add extra things to the engine if there was ppl developing new campaings using them... so I started to think on a new camaping taking place along the heir to the throne plot and involving almost exclusively mages.

This campaign will use extensive small scale scenarios lasting a single day and with a much lower map scale. It sill also require some (big?) changes in the engine to support things like doors & keys, patrolling units, walls, LOS and passability...

Well, anyway the basic storyline for the campaing could be as follows (still need to determine many things, but just drop it here for some comments to see what ppl think 'bout this idea.

http://www.divsite.net/download/wesnoth_magic.txt
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

An illusionist might help, becuase if you're just using mages, then you're going to need a lot more mage units to give the player some variety. Or will you allow the player to recruit other units to support the mages?
Slainte

Post by Slainte »

on the solo camapaigns he won't be able to recruit, but in some he will be able to summon (in fact "recruit" with some make-up) Then maybe i'll be adding some specefic mage affinity based units... still early wip... i must discuss with Dave many things to see if this will really both fit in wesnoth and fit in the engine :)
telex4

Post by telex4 »

It looks like it could be very good :) I like the idea of a solo scenario, as well as a potentially wider range of attacks.

You could almost solve the problem of needing a range of units by having a few kinds of mage, and endowing them with different abilities when upgrading. So you could add to the white and red mages a soothsayer (can see ahead), the illusionist, and perhaps others.
kmj

Post by kmj »

As I've mentioned to Slainte, I also think this is a great idea. One of my biggest concerns (aside from ranged attacks going through walls) is how terrain is currently implemented. I assume you want to have indoor scenarios, which will call for new terrains. Also, other campaigns may want their own terrains.

But, as the number of campaigns grows, is it conceivable that we'll run out of characters?

I think the easiest solution to this would be to allow campaigns (and/or scenarios) to have "terrains=my_terrain.cfg", which can override the official terrain file.

Just wanted to throw that out there.
Slainte

Post by Slainte »

yes, maybe something along a campaign default dir where the engine seeks all the cfgs needed, then if no specific file is found, go back to the global.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Slainte wrote:yes, maybe something along a campaign default dir where the engine seeks all the cfgs needed, then if no specific file is found, go back to the global.
It is an idea I'm in favor off too, but would this set up be multiplatform?
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

This sounds like a very interesting campaign idea. Quite different to the style of the current campaign, and it could really test the engine's limits.

On a micro-scale though, we may have to add some new attributes and abilities to units to keep things interesting -- e.g. the ability to cast explicit spells.

We could even consider developing support for a RPG-like sequence, where you walk your character around the map talking to people, between scenarios.

It might force somewhat of an overhaul of the terrain system, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. If necessary, we can just make it that terrain may be represented by multiple bytes.

As you start developing the campaign, I'll start adding features to the engine to support it.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Dave wrote:We could even consider developing support for a RPG-like sequence, where you walk your character around the map talking to people, between scenarios.
Personally, I'd rather you didn't, as I really like the way Wesnoth has elements of a RPG without having to do all the tiresome talking to people and wandering around without actually doing anything.

I'm in favour of keeping the blend between the storyline and action we have in other campaigns, and I'd really like a similar magical campaign. But of course if lots of people want an RPG campaign, who am I to stop you ;)
kmj

Post by kmj »

Actually, wesnoth really already has support for this.. the key to completing it is adding that "victory_when_enemy_leader_dies=no" (or whatever we call it) tag. In my campaign, I've already got a scenario where there may not be any actual battle to do, but instead, the player moves the main character around the board talking to people, and is given the opportunity to choose the next scenario. The way I see it, telex4, if you don't like the "small scale adventuring" rpg-style campaigns, just don't play them. But if people want to make them, why not?

edit oh, sorry, I guess I didn't read your whole post... you said pretty much the same thing... if people one to do it, they can. :D
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Whatever happened to this campaign? I wish that there was some way of "killing" an idea formally so no one keeps hoping. Some way to jump on it, crush it, grind it into it's primordial powder and toss it to the corners of the earth. That way, we know not to ask about it.
miyo

Post by miyo »

For every 10 promises we will have 1 fulfilled, that is just how this works. Lot of people will "announce" that they are doing or want to do something... but only few will get anything done.

- Miyo
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Insinuator wrote:Whatever happened to this campaign? I wish that there was some way of "killing" an idea formally so no one keeps hoping. Some way to jump on it, crush it, grind it into it's primordial powder and toss it to the corners of the earth. That way, we know not to ask about it.
Any game change that Miyo, Dave or most of the forum goers say voilates the KISS idea is definatly dead.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Kamahawk wrote:
Insinuator wrote:Whatever happened to this campaign? I wish that there was some way of "killing" an idea formally so no one keeps hoping. Some way to jump on it, crush it, grind it into it's primordial powder and toss it to the corners of the earth. That way, we know not to ask about it.
Any game change that Miyo, Dave or most of the forum goers say voilates the KISS idea is definatly dead.
But there is nothing wrong with this idea -- it just appears that Slainte has not had the time and/or compulsion to work on it. If the initial proposer of such an idea says it is dead, then you can take it as dead, otherwise you don't really know....

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I'm intending to write a smaller-scale scenario at some point or other myself, but I have the sense not to actually say much about it until I've had a chance to get at least 20% of the way through it. As has been pointed out, so many ideas fizzle from lack of motivation, and I don't believe I'd be immune.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry