Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Does anyone know how to remove fog mid game in a event tag?

I found how to remove shroud in the WML section

Code: Select all

[remove_shroud]
		side=1
		x=1-40
		y=1-40
		[/remove_shroud]
but when I tried to remove the fog in the same way it didn't work.

Code: Select all

[remove_fog]
		side=1
		x=1-40
		y=1-40
		[/remove_fog]
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It's impossible.

(It doesn't make any sense to have fog removeable, anyway - where fog is is determined by where your units are...)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

It's like when you create a map revealer in starcraft. You could try to make an invisible unit, place it during the event, and kill it after.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Damn, well if anyone could make it in the next release it would be useful. It means the plot of the scenario in the next version of Invasion of Arendia, which has just been released, makes a bit less sense.

please note that I have not fully play tested it yet, only up to the point where the fog would have dissapeared (which is when the shroud does). But I am play testing it now.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Ranger M wrote:Damn, well if anyone could make it in the next release it would be useful. It means the plot of the scenario in the next version of Invasion of Arendia, which has just been released, makes a bit less sense.
But a fog revealer itself would make no sense. Fog is determined by how far your units can see each turn. It doesn't make sense to not have fog somewhere where you can't see.

If you really want to do something like this, just don't have fog on the scenario, and only have shroud.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

That is what I just did, but the reason I wanted removable fog was It was unnatural fog that would dissapear when one of the enemy leaders is killed.
scott

Post by scott »

You could have modify side be able to change fog and shroud.

Fog of war in BFW doesn't work any differently than in any other game. Fog revealers do make sense. They act like units that are invisible, don't take up space, and can't be interacted with. They're common in other games and work well for story scenes.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Modify side? How do you do it in WML (cannot find it in reference).

Or are you suggesting a new thing not naming a old one?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

You might also want units that could see further than their movement (it'd be appropriate for sailors, and other eagle-eyed types). If the flexibility was there, we'd find ways to use it.

However, it sounds like what Ranger M wants is to just entirely deactivate the fog mid-scenario.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

irrevenant wrote:However, it sounds like what Ranger M wants is to just entirely deactivate the fog mid-scenario.
That is impossible, AFAICT. I spend a few days trying to find a way to do it (to help Ivanovic with Two Brothers campaign), but although I found a hack that did it, it didn't work very well. :(
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

You can sort of turn off fog mid-scenario by flipping all the player's units to another side. One problem is that while you can copy over the player's units and gold to the new side, I haven't found a way to change village ownership conveniently. It's doable in a scenario, but quite complicated. Also, the status table will probably look odd if the player takes a look there.

How I would probably try to make a "fog revealer": Place an invisible custom unit (made invisible by not specifying an image at all for it, I think) that has effectively unlimited movement somewhere where the player is very unlikely to ever go, so it "sees" everything. Make the unit belong to a side allied with the player and set share_maps=yes and/or share_view=yes (don't give the unit to the player so he doesn't have the chance of actually accidentally getting to use the unit). And remember to get the said allied side be idle.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Is anyone else seeing henchman? I don't appear to have received the henchman graphics at all when I installed the campaign...
scott

Post by scott »

Ranger M placed the henchman images in ./images/L3_Bandits. The henchman unit config does not have any relative directory information, so the game is looking in ./images. Either change the unit config file by adding L3_Bandits/xxx before the filename in every image key or move the images back to the higher level directory.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I have just uploaded what should be a fix for this (version 0.1.2), if it doesn't work I have one last solution then I am stumped.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

you know what that is exactly what I did, I worked it out because when testing a new unit with new graphics I had the same problem, but when I moved it to a higher directory it worked, I was trying the same principle here, Although I didn't know why it would work at the time.

[edit] the reason why my post is five muinites after his is I had the message ready, but didn't submit it untill I had finished uploading the latest version to the server, otherwise it might have been downloaded before the new version was there.