New campaign : The Restoration of Wesnoth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taz

Post by taz »

The 0.4 version of the Restoration of Wesnoth for BfW 1.02 is now available on the server.

Change log :

Corrected some typos and English mistakes in the intro and 1st Scenario. Thanks to Zookeeper for his help :)

----- Spoilers ------

Made some minor adjustments to the following scenarios :

- The skull smashers : Enemy reinforcements can appear in two different locations (randomly chosen)

- To the enemy's gate : The player’s starting forces are now randomly generated.

- Battle Royale : Enemy starting gold amount (slightly) increased. Added new units to the Orcish and Undead recruiting pools. Added new reinforcements for the player.

Further to Rothrorn’s suggestion added a guest star to the campaign : Gweddry
There are now several references to Gweddry in the scenarios and he is back in one scenario.

Actually I’m even contemplating the idea of creating a campaign concentrating on the role played by Gweddry in the Restoration of Wesnoth (but normally not before RoW reaches version 1.0).

----End of spoilers ------

Enjoy.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon.

I've noticed something that's not exactly a bug, but pretty close. I just finished the scenario with the grand marshall (Seeking Justice).

I'm probably playing below my level as I finished way ahead of schedule (I've finished just as the cavalry came from the north).

In any case is it that I finished before Dacyn came on the scene (I'm guessing with the infantry from the south)... so I never got to meet him.

He appeared during the [story]'s, but he's not there when we meet the dwarves... essentially giving me one less hero for the rest of the campaign.

Good campaign otherwise, like the more 'true medieval' feel of it.
taz

Post by taz »

Thanks for the remarks. Obviously I will have to balance this scenario a bit.
Does anyone else find it too easy ?

Thanks for having noticed the medieval feeling I intended to include in the campaign. :)
Creator of The Restoration of Wesnoth campaign.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

Actually, I found the whole campaign easy because I'm playing on easy while I should be playing on medium. My point wasn't that it needs re-balancing.

My point was that, when Dacyn shows up, it should set a variable from 0 to 1 or something, and if that variable is still at 0 at event victory, then Dacyn and the gang should appear so you'll have them with you in later scenarios.

Cheers.
taz

Post by taz »

Casual User wrote:Good afternoon!
it should set a variable from 0 to 1 or something, and if that variable is still at 0 at event victory, then Dacyn and the gang should appear so you'll have them with you in later scenarios.
Cheers.
Will do so. Thank for your comments :)

In the meantime have re-balanced the scenario a bit anyway

Version 0.4.1 of "The Restoration of Wesnoth" for BfW 1.02 is now available on the server.

Change log : Slightly modified the balance of “Seeking Justice� scenario by adding more troops to the enemy forces.

Version 0.5, to be released soon, will correct the bug regarding Dacyn’s appearance in the “Seeking Justice� scenario.
unsung

Post by unsung »

I think that dacyns castle in the siege breaking mission is far too weak- it is nearly imposible to keep him from dieing with my 13 or so units- you should make his castle larger and have more starting troops.

Remember, the AI sucks at defending.

I think this is a good campaign-THe fact that I am presented with decisions so often is good.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
taz

Post by taz »

unsung wrote:- it is nearly imposible to keep him from dieing with my 13 or so units..
Thanks for the feedback :) Will take it into account for version 0.5.

SPOILER WARNING

Did you try to capture the enemy siege engines ?

END OF SPOILER
unsung

Post by unsung »

yes, but I had no mounted troops, so I had to do it with my infantry. That wasn't to hard but the problem I have is that dacyn isn't fully surrounded by defenses-units like attacking him from the water, and with his low health, well.....
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
taz

Post by taz »

unsung wrote:and with his low health, well.....
Now I see the point. The unbalance of this scenario comes (partly) from the fact that originally (in Version 0.1) Dacyn had more Hit Points.
I will balance the scenario by adding a few more guards (their type and number will depend on the difficulty level) in Version 0.5.
taz

Post by taz »

Version 0.5. of “The Restoration of Wesnoth� for Bfw 1.02 is now available on the server.

Change log :

Fixed the bug with Dacyn in the “Seeking Justice� scenario (see Casual User’s post above)

Added more troops for Dacyn in the “Siege of D’Tonk� scenario (see unsung’s post above)

Enjoy,
sipahi

great campaign!

Post by sipahi »

I played to "Battle Royale" and really enjoyed the campaign (0.4.1). Lots of dialogue, plot twists, well balanced levels, cool characters, historical tie-ins. Great campaign!! Bien fait Taz.

I think Dacyn is well-balanced in the “Siege of D’Tonk� scenario. It's important to have enough mounted troops to be able to harry the top and central armies, destroy the siege engines and take some pressure off the castle. With that approach, Dacyn seems to survive for me, while making it close to keep up the excitement. Overall, the balancing is quite good at this point.

Two bugs:

1) Dacyn's icon doesnt' show up in any of the levels. Good thing he has the white halo though, so I was able to play the unit even without seeing the icon by clicking in the middle of the halo.

2) "Battle Royale" wouldn't load because it could not find "Deathmaster" unit.

Keep up the good work! This is definitely one of the top 10 campaigns I've played. By the way, I want to update to version 0.5 but I can't find it on the Wesnoth campaign server.
Science is what you know. Philosophy is what you don't know.
Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
Ted

Still problems with case sensitive filenames

Post by Ted »

First of all, I really liked your campaign! Good work.

Second, there are still case sensitivity problems. I just downloaded version 0.5 once again.
o.cfg still references map_data="{@campaigns/Restoration/maps/CARTEO}", while there is only a "carteo" (in lowercases) in the maps directory.

Third, I also noticed some minor typos. I'd like to give it a try and fix them myself, what should I send you so you can include in the distribution version?

Ted
;)
taz

Post by taz »

Thanks for your nice reviews both of you I really appreciate your interest in this campaign. However I’m currently quite busy working on other projects : which mainly consist in taking some holidays far away from any computer. :lol:

So it will take some time before I fix the bugs and typos. Thanks in advance for your patience.

sipahi

Regarding the missing Deathmaster in “Battle Royale� this is very strange, I don’t have this bug on my computer. Normally this kind of bug results from a typo in the scenario or when you create a custom unit which you forget to place in the proper folder. But the name “Deathmaster� is apparently spelled well in the scenario and the Deathmaster is a “regular� unit not a custom one. So I have no clue. Does anybody have any suggestion ?

Same thing for Dacyn, his icon appears OK in the Siege of D’Tonk for me. So it is quite difficult to analyse the source of a bug when you cannot experience it on your own computer I’m running the campaign on Wesnoth 1.0.2 / Windows 2000.

Does anybody else have the same kind of problems than sipahi ?

Ted

Misspelling is my other name :lol:

If you want to help by correcting some typos, do not hesitate, your help will be welcome. You can send these corrections by pm under the following format :

- Name of the file to be corrected (e.g : Anarchy.cfg and Intro1.cfg)
- Quote of the wrong sentence (e.g : "In the last year of the reign of King Konrad II, Wesnoth was still recovering from the great darkness which FELT upon the Realm less than a decade ago. ")
- Quote of the corrected sentence (e.g : "In the last year of the reign of King Konrad II, Wesnoth was still recovering from the great darkness which FELL upon the Realm less than a decade ago."

For the “carteo� case sensitive bug you will find attached a temporary fix. You just have to replace the old

Programfiles\Wesnoth\userdate\data\campaigns\Restoration\scenarios\o.cfg

file by this new one.
Attachments
o.cfg
(32.99 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
janus

Post by janus »

taz wrote:Thanks for the info

I will work on it during the week-end and rename all the files. If everything goes well we should have a 0.2 version (hopefully) compatible with Linux on the server on Monday next. Thanks for your patience. ;)
It seems that in o.cfg the CARTEO is still (0.5 version) spelled with capitals.
taz

Post by taz »

janus wrote: It seems that in o.cfg the CARTEO is still (0.5 version) spelled with capitals.
You can use the above file.

This issue will be solved in the 0.5.1 version of the campaign.
The campaign has been temporarily deleted fm the server until I’m able to upload it again. For some unknown reason I cannot upload the campaign for the moment. Thanks your patience.