New Campaign: Return of the Legions (0.2.5)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

RedLTeut wrote:I have some gripe of my own: on easy, it was very hard for me to complete "the mouldering barrow" because everyone including the scorpions seems to know where my leader(on the run) is. (I ended in turn ten, but didnt get much money off it.)
Indeed, I'm going to make that scenario a bit easier (less gold for the saurians and limits on the number of saurian skirmishers, among others) since so many people have complained that it's hard.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Yeah, I had a problem with the same thing, they had me completely surrounded even before I saw most of their units. And most of my units were separated from each other. You could cut down attack_depth to 3, I think that could fix it.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

They are extremely agressive, and also since they have a higher movment, you can't see them, while they can be following you. At which, your most advanced units leading the force get slaughtered.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I do not recall any problems with that scenario last time I played it; The only thing was that you had to guess where to go; if you try going north, you cannot make it on time. Saurian fighting needs special tactics: Basically keep a front line that can absorb the blows and strike back hard, like elvish heroes/champions or ranger/avengers. Keep more delicate units in the back, so they can strike the weakened oponent fornt line
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Hello ZooKeeper. Out of curosity I opened your campaign the other day. You're work is fantastic...the intro and overall presentation really look good. Definatly a cut above the rest of the campaigns.

Unfortunatly I get bored of campaigns very quickly...so I didn't play much and can't comment on the gameplay.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

0.2.5 released!

Ok, no new scenarios yet, just polishing the existing ones. Things I've fixed/changed:

- made enemy recruits more varied: all enemy leaders (not counting the first scenario) should now recruit a few lvl2 units as well.
- made enemies start out with control of the villages around them (most of the map in most scenarios).
- fixed (hopefully) a crash with the wand of banishment.
- applied TC to places where it wasn't yet (Eorithnu, campaign icons and images).

Note that as I stated earlier, this release is not necessarily very balanced, due to the changes in how enemies recruit and own villages (of course I tried to balance it somewhat). I occasionally had almost serious trouble myself when playing on the normal difficulty. If you're not feeling bold, play on the easiest level for now.
KRCM

Post by KRCM »

Hello,

I have played until the second time you reach the Elvish council.

I am very impressed with your campaign, it is quiet original. I like the humour (spelled correct ?) in it to ...

When Nelayin upgrades I got an unknown unit type error, but I suppose that the next scenario isn't ready either...
Maintainer Elf War
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

KRCM wrote:When Nelayin upgrades I got an unknown unit type error, but I suppose that the next scenario isn't ready either...
Thanks for reporting that, I'll get it fixed shortly. But indeed, it doesn't really matter much, since the scenario (and thus, the whole campaign so far) would have ended immediately after that.

EDIT: Fixed version uploaded to the add-on server. Oh, and thanks for the compliments too. :D
Sharur

Post by Sharur »

I'm really enjoying playing through this campaign right now, though I'm finding the mission with the Saurians very difficult to get through with acceptable losses. There's so many of the little buggers...

I'm guessing, based on what you said about difficulty, that I shouldn't upgrade to 0.2.5 (or the fixed version of that), since it sounds like you made it harder...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sharur wrote:I'm really enjoying playing through this campaign right now, though I'm finding the mission with the Saurians very difficult to get through with acceptable losses. There's so many of the little buggers...

I'm guessing, based on what you said about difficulty, that I shouldn't upgrade to 0.2.5 (or the fixed version of that), since it sounds like you made it harder...
I'm not actually sure whether that particular scenario is now harder or easier. :? I guess I should playtest it myself a bit more (I've mostly tested the scenarios before that).
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I'm playing the latest downloaded from the server today.
I like some of the new things since i last played.

Scenario 1:
I waited 5, or 6 turns for Rashdin to teleport in to the village i captured and then vacated for him right next to the keep, but he never did. Bug, or is he just lazy?

Scenario 2: My archer can't pick up the fire bow. It says only someone with archery skills can wield it!

Assuming i killed the necromancer rather than rashdin, the conversation with ilnudlil at the end of L2 doesn't especially make sense.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Eleazar wrote:I'm playing the latest downloaded from the server today.
I like some of the new things since i last played.

Scenario 1:
I waited 5, or 6 turns for Rashdin to teleport in to the village i captured and then vacated for him right next to the keep, but he never did. Bug, or is he just lazy?

Scenario 2: My archer can't pick up the fire bow. It says only someone with archery skills can wield it!
Are you playing with trunk? If so, then there's apparently some heavy bugs which cause these things. Everything seems to work fine on 1.1.12, but if you can reproduce any of these with it then I'm definitely interested. If it's just trunk...well, then I can't do much about it.
Eleazar wrote:Assuming i killed the necromancer rather than rashdin, the conversation with ilnudlil at the end of L2 doesn't especially make sense.
Good point, I hadn't thought of the possibility.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

zookeeper wrote:[Everything seems to work fine on 1.1.12, but if you can reproduce any of these with it then I'm definitely interested. If it's just trunk...well, then I can't do much about it.
I was playing in the trunk.
I'll try it on 1.1.12.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

I noticed the flamebow problem yesterday (the problem is trunk only) and boucman just committed a fix. I tested the fix and it solves the problem.

The not teleporting can be a problem with the python AI. Do you have python enabled in your build?
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Two thumbs up for the campaign - it's original, the scenarios are not irrationally difficult (on medium) but still challenging.

I encountered just one problem with the flame bow: when I pick the bow skills, the bow does not improve... I wonder why.
Also preferred would be a way to increase your leader's HP - he's in quite some danger, having all the HP of an elven fighter.

The Journey to the Mouldering Barrow was annoying to the extreme, especially the swamp-forest tiles, and skirmishing saurians. Had to restart and retry several times.

The alternate gold management is interesting, especially the fact that you recieve a necessary minimum to start the next scenario, but: even if you finish a scenario very early but did not have a positive gold total, you recieve NOTHING despite your otherwise good performance - so sitting tight and accumulating some gold to finish later might make sense from time to time. There should be a fixed bonus, a certain minimum you recieve when you finish early (if you manage to accumulate a larger bonus, you get that, othrwise you get this minimum)
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich