More levels for leaders please

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

More levels for leaders please

Post by Guest »

Thanks for a great game!

The most fun of Wesnoth is developing characters, and gaining levels with my fighters. 3 leves for most units is quite ok, and 4 levels for mages is great, that makes their power really stand out on the battlefield, just as a mage should.

Pity though that the campaign leaders (Konrad in Heir to the Throne) can't advance to level 4 or even 5 or 6. He is supposed to be King, not a mere man like you and me. Kings stand out amoung peers, kings are not made of the same stuff their people are of. The other units should be strong, but the king should be the strongest.

The amount of XP needed for this should be large, no doubt, but it should be possible. Also it's an idea to require the hero to reach a certain level to win the whole campaign. Going throuhg "Heir to the Throne" with a level 1 Konrad should definitively not allow him to be king, he is just to weak.

All the best
llogiq

why must a king be such a great fighter?

Post by llogiq »

In history, there were lots of weak kings. Due to inbreeding, the middle ages saw many kings who did not last long, despite meeting a peaceful death. In fact, Karl Martell (who needed a Merowingia-King to rule, as he officialy was only the "Hausmeier") had the problems to find a new king two times, when the old one died.

That said, there were also strong, charismatic kings in history. But there is no need to take this choice away from the player unless through level design. (Konrad will level up sooner or later).
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

It's tempting to ask for more level 4,5,6+ units, but the general consensus is that we are working to make sure that all races have a good supply of level 3 units before we go back and consider higher levels. The undead are only now starting to get level 3 units, the orcs only have a few last time I checked, you start giving the rebels level 4 units and konrad & co. would be nigh invincible.

That being said, I could see a level 4 Konrad eventually, but considering how level 3 units easily beat level 2, and level 2's can beat level 1's, having a unit that is higher than 4 would seem a bit broken.
telex4

Post by telex4 »

quartex wrote:That being said, I could see a level 4 Konrad eventually, but considering how level 3 units easily beat level 2, and level 2's can beat level 1's, having a unit that is higher than 4 would seem a bit broken.
I think you'd have to add different things, rather than extra HP / better weapons. What about, to take an idea off the top of my head, "insight" that lets you reveal an area a short distance from the unit?
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Yesduring middle-age king were supposed to have power to cure scroffus and other ailments (and so on) but practicaly many of them were quite incompetent...and almost none had to fight in person or even to lead an army....they had people under them to do that.
However, here we speak about fantasy king and the topic was addressed before. As far as I remember Konrad is going to be allowed to reach lvl4 after the council scenario. Even wih no or limited increase of HP, it means his leadership will now work on lvl3 units. I each increase of lvl should leadd to a more reduce bonus such as to flatten the curve (so a lvl3 would not be so much overpowering against a lvl2).
Anyway I think the power lvl4 or more units should be more subttle, like enhancing the power of neaby units (longer range leadership?) or reducing the dommage they receive. By the way Delfendor is already lvl5... Ok he's less powerfull than a lvl4 but seem to be able to pop in and out a lot, at least at the begining of the campaign even though he lost the "teleport ability" but kept very fast legs for a old man . :D with 2 move more than a lvl4 mage.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!