Tutorial and hint messages.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fmunoz
Founding Artist

Tutorial and hint messages.

Post by fmunoz »

I need some help coming with good hint messages for the tutorial and the EASY (and maybe MEDIUM too) level scenarios.
Just post where you feel they are needed and the text. I could take care of the image.
Icekiss

Post by Icekiss »

I've reviewed the first few scenarios, and tried to write down sth. that could fit:

The Elves Besieged
After the scenario objectives
Delfador: "Remember that you have shamans at your disposal, the healers of the elves. When you have no time to rest, their care may mean the difference between life and death for your fighters, or for you."
Since this is the one unit that is not introduced in the tutorial, and may be overlooked otherwise (and at least I think it is important to start playing with them right from the start).

After the scenario objectives for Backwater Port appeared:
Delfador: "Recall what is asked of you (You can recall your objectives using the menu). Only the foolish doom their troops to death without dire need. You do not need to kill everybody here if the price would be too high. Do not forget though that you need villages to earn the gold to pay your troops. Balancing the line between cowardice and recklessness is what marks a master of strategy."
If it is possible I would show the graphic of the open menu with the "Scenario Objectives" selected and the mouse on the right end of it [or whichever way looks good to you :wink: ]
It may be that I make the player overcautious with this massage (hopefully not), but I think it important to point out that the scenario objectives aren't always "kill everybody".

Isle of Anduin, again after the Scenario Objectives:
Delfador: "I think our main concern should be to seize and keep the villages to the west. If you can hold them, you should have enough gold to recruit more troops."
Delfador again, new text window:
"Try to gain a few experienced soldiers. They will fight much better, and though the unloyal ones are costlier, you will soon start to loose your battles if you can not rely on their help. Never forget to plan ahead. Without gold, or without trained troops, your next opponent might be impossible to overcome. There is more than one battle to fight."
I think showing konrads profile in the window (as it can be seen on the right side of the screen) with an arrow pointing out where the experience points are displayed would be helpful.

Bay of Pearls, after Delfador says: "You and the rest of your men rescue the mermen."
Delfador: "Before I leave, let me give you quick guidance.
Take the time of the day into consideration when you plan your moves. Especially with the poor mermen. I would hate to see them hurt any more than neccessary. Look closely at the map. You may spot something a merman would find very usefull. Train your troops. Remember what is asked of you.
I have to be on my way. Good luck, Konrad."
Then follows the response of Konrad (just as it already is): "Very well. Be careful!"

Thats it for now. All the main points should be given in "Bay of Pearls" at the latest, since Delfador isn't present in the next two scenarios.
Typos, suggestions?
Last edited by Icekiss on February 23rd, 2004, 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

Since I've been editing a lot of the text, can I also suggest some rules of thumb?

Delfador
  1. talks rather formally, in a kind of old-fashioned way
  2. never uses contractions (can't, won't, I'm, and so on) (follows a bit from #1)
  3. is a bit preachy and maybe a tiny bit overbearing and condescending (but not much)
Konrad
  1. sounds young and a bit inexperienced
  2. uses contractions sometimes
  3. can be a bit whiney (though not too much)
Bad guys
  1. sound very colloquial (chatty)
  2. can even use bad grammar
  3. use lots of contractions (follows from #1)
  4. like to say things like "ha ha ha"
Other "good" guys (like Kalenz and Li'sar)
  1. sound like Delfador (maybe Li'sar less than the others)
The Eponymous Archon
Icekiss

Post by Icekiss »

@Eponymous-Archon: Have I gotten Delfadors style right? :roll:

EDIT: spotted and corrected a can't. Thanks :wink:
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Eponymous-Archon wrote: Other "good" guys (like Kalenz and Li'sar)
  1. sound like Delfador (maybe Li'sar less than the others)
I will add that Kalenz should sound somewhat arrogant, and in particular he has limited faith in humans.

Li'sar is arrogant and competitive. She likes using every opportunity to show how skilled she is. However she's also naive, due to a sheltered upbringing, and fairly good-natured.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Eponymous-Archon

Icekiss wrote:@Eponymous-Archon: Have I gotten Delfadors style right? :roll:

EDIT: spotted and corrected a can't. Thanks :wink:
Right. I have him being quite formal, so no "can't"s.

Throw in some "woe"s and "Nay"s too for effect. ;-)
The Eponymous Archon
Eponymous-Archon

Dave wrote: I will add that Kalenz should sound somewhat arrogant, and in particular he has limited faith in humans.

Li'sar is arrogant and competitive. She likes using every opportunity to show how skilled she is. However she's also naive, due to a sheltered upbringing, and fairly good-natured.
Yes, good on both of these. Li'sar's speech might change a bit too as she becomes more allied with Konrad through the scenario.

Maybe they can stop calling her "Princess", for example.
The Eponymous Archon
Icekiss

Post by Icekiss »

I can not find nay place to place a nay :lol:
Feel free to make suggestions.
woe is another word for who, right? I doubt you meant the great woe the elves have to endure at the hand of the evil queen, right? :roll: (I hope I have used it correctly?)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Eponymous-Archon wrote:
Yes, good on both of these. Li'sar's speech might change a bit too as she becomes more allied with Konrad through the scenario.

Maybe they can stop calling her "Princess", for example.
Yes, it should change progressively. Originally they always refer to her as 'Princess' and she always calls Konrad 'imposter', refusing to even use his name. This should change gradually.

Also Delfador is somewhat patronizing, calling her 'child', and she resents that. Delfador has somewhat of a serious dislike for her, but Konrad is naive, and likes her more.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

woe is the opposel of weal (an even more obscure word).
woe: (noun) Deep distress or misery, as from grief; wretchedness.

So it is not the same as who. For example:
"Woe befall all orcs who stand in our path, for we shall find that sceptre of fire!"
Icekiss

Post by Icekiss »

Hey, so my sentence WAS correct. Great! :D

But seriously, if you have ideas how to make him sound more old school, then post them! I'm not all that great with old words...
Last edited by Icekiss on February 23rd, 2004, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eponymous-Archon

Icekiss wrote:Hey, so mey sentence WAS correct. Great! :D

But seriously, if you have ideas how to make him sound more old school, then post them! I'm not all that great with old words...
Nay, rather, you seem to be doing ok. :-)
The Eponymous Archon