LOTR Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Post by scott »

bruno wrote: Also related to this is that the movie and music industries want copyright law enforced by all hardware which will break fair use (though not all countries have that) and cost people a lot of money. Rather than sponser development of special hardware with their own money and only releasing their works on that hardware, the movie and music industries are trying to get laws passed that will outlaw anything but their special hardware and which, conveniately they won't have to pay for (other than a tiny amount for the pet politicians), but will cost consumers a lot of money while not being as useful (even for what would now be considered legal uses).
I just read an article about how a DRM "standard" is an oxymoron, since (unlike a standard) DRM tries to break interoperability by preventing you from reading content in more than x devices. It also alludes to how publishers that give their content away for free electronically manage to sell more paper books across the board (even the ones that are free). It's on CNET somewhere.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Ok, nice general discussion, but the point is: if you want to make a game
out of LOTR, sorry, you need to buy the official version and Wesnoth should not be jeopardized because of this. If on the other hand you are
inspired by LOTR and want to make your own story that will develop as a Wesnoth campaign, then sure this could be on the server. In short, if you don't need LOTR, don't use it.
Hisquiter

Post by Hisquiter »

Okay none of LOTR i don't want problems Tolkien have the Copyrights and i will respect it
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

santi wrote:Ok, nice general discussion, but the point is: if you want to make a game
out of LOTR, sorry, you need to buy the official version and Wesnoth should not be jeopardized because of this. If on the other hand you are
inspired by LOTR and want to make your own story that will develop as a Wesnoth campaign, then sure this could be on the server. In short, if you don't need LOTR, don't use it.
Or you could ask Christopher directly (it is no problem, I did it in few times, especially when we have solved some problems about elvish. ;-) I think he knows GPL.

Or you can write your own story which uses the Tolkien's places, races, everything you want to have. But you cannot used the story, which is copyrighted. Let's have an example: Angband, single player MUD licenced under GPL. It uses Mr.Magott's dogs, Phial of the Galadriel, Sting, Odula, One Ring, Glum, ... But I think it could be better to create another nice hero campaign for the Wesnoth itself.
silvermane

Post by silvermane »

Angband as a niche game probably does not merit the attention of the copyright holders. And first there was Moria, just to remind you. And what the heck are Odula and Glum?
Kharn

What Kharn has to say

Post by Kharn »

I figure i have by far the most developed LOTR related Wesnoth material.
Currently it is an Era that has all of the units from middle earth. I still need a campaign for it and unique images.

Due to opposition from associating LOTR and Wesnoth I have the game mod developed seperately from Wesnoth on my own board. If it helps legally, the text files and images and names used within are unaffiliated with any people who work on the Official version of Wesnoth, and what ever entity it is that likes to spend their time combating something that does no buisness (me), decides to take action, I take total responsibility for the creation of the text files and images I have lead in the production of.

That said, I strongly beg the developers to show not opposition but instead their unaffilation with this project.

You can download the mod at my forum site,
http://s14.invisionfree.com/Kharns_Mods/index.php

A shorter link will soon be at rgarner.freeshell.org within several days.

I suggest waiting until the first day of Jan 2006 to download the game, because my updates are monthly and at the time of this post it will be released in 4 days.[/url]
Creator of 120+ units Lord of the Rings era and campaign now outdated & lost.
Creator of WWII Battleground Europe mod with 120+ units most with custom wml and animations. Every variable is mathematically derived based on WWII stats such as historical cost & mm armour.
scott

Post by scott »

Thanks, Kharn. In my opinion, this is entirely appropriate.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.