Dark Elf Campaign: A New Threat

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Denadareth

Post by Denadareth »

Why this campaign isn't on the download list? Is it abandoned?
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

*Shrugs*
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
mori

Re: Dark Elf Campaign: A New Threat

Post by mori »

Here is "A New Threat", converted for Wesnoth 1.9.4. Eight scenarios are tested and playable. Now I need help for continue.
1. I use version 0.4.2a, from http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.0/Dark_Elves.tar.bz2. Last version is 0.5.2, but I did not find it anywhere. May be somebody has it, or maps for scenarios "Hell" and "Retreat". If I shall not find them in week or two, may be I should create them myself.
2. Artists. Campaign and race need them.
3. English writers. I don't know English enough for writing English prose. Campaign must be continued. Dark Elves must see stars on dark sky. :)
4. Testers and gamers, sure.
5. If somebody has time and willing for writing WML code, creating maps for campaign, he is welcome, sure.
Attachments
Dark_Elves.tar.bz2
(131.17 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Maybe I should restart my project...
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Ok, I'm trying to rework it, but I'm getting very frustrated at my own incompetency. Can someone please install this add-on and trouble shoot it? I've been trying to fix the files but I can't find the problem
Attachments
Dark_Elves.zip
(214.39 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Assasin wrote:Ok, I'm trying to rework it, but I'm getting very frustrated at my own incompetency. Can someone please install this add-on and trouble shoot it? I've been trying to fix the files but I can't find the problem
I finally took a look at this, and got the first few scenarios to load. The biggest problem was that a few parts of the first scenario's story didn't have a closing quote. Once those were cleared up, the other error messages actually had to do with their problems, allowing me to track down a few other missing/incorrect tags.

I hit a wall at the fourth scenario, however; the enemy leader and his units didn't get placed on the map for some reason. The map didn't have a keep position set for the second side, but adding that in didn't do anything for the problem. I just can't see why they shouldn't appear.

However, there's another thing. While I was working on the campaign, I looked at the version from the addons server, and noticed that the story text of the first scenario was very different. Later, I looked at the info.cfg files, and saw that while your version number was "0.1.a", its version number was "0.4.2a". And it also has two more scenarios following the ones you have.

There are a lot of differences; for instance, the other version doesn't have Ivoni in the first scenario, the level 3 marshal that your level 1 leader bosses around. I prefer a lot, though not all, of the other version's first scenario intro. The custom units are different; it doesn't have dark elf units like the Defiler, while you don't have any dwarvish units like the Axemaster. It includes the "Dwarvish Runner", which I had figured was an old name for what is now the Scout.

I don't know how your version differs from the attempt before yours by mori, who says he based his work on 0.4.2a from the addons server. Maybe I should have checked it out as well.

I have attached my modified files. My comments are preceded by "##" where I made changes. Note that it doesn't include the full campaign, just the cfg files. You will have to overwrite the old files included in your attachment with mine to make up a full campaign directory.

PS - I also had some commented wmllint logs, but forgot to include them. Maybe later.
Attachments
Dark_Elves.7z
modified files only - not a full campaign by itself
(18.32 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Okay, I finally figured out what was going wrong with the fourth scenario. There were actually two separate problems.

Because of the use of no_leader, [side] didn't recognize the "leader" as such. He has to be put inside a [unit] tag, and given coordinates of where to appear. I put him on the other keep, but you can change this if you want.

The second issue that was keeping the other units from appearing was that they were using #ifdef MEDIUM instead of NORMAL. Since I was using the middle difficulty, that meant I wasn't seeing anything. I then found a macro that was also using MEDIUM.

I also found a credits file in the other version, and copied that data over to _main.cfg. You may want to adjust those credits. If you're reverting to your own script ideas, that suggests this version should give your scripting role a bit more credit and a little less to Ryorin. I also gave myself a credit, which I hope you don't find excessive.

From here on out, though, I'll leave the rest of the bugfixing to you, as I don't want to get sucked into working on this campaign, particularly given that I don't know which version should be regarded as the "real" one. The commented wmllint logs that I mentioned before may help.

Attached are the new files. As before, this attachment only includes the changed files, you will have to overwrite the old files in the campaign's directory to make up a full campaign.

EDIT: I guess I need to clarify that you need BOTH my attachments. Unzip my first attachment over Assasin's files, then unzip the second over the directory again.
Attachments
Dark_Elves2.7z
fixed fourth scenario, etc.
YOU ALSO NEED TO DOWNLOAD MY PREVIOUS ATTACHMENT
AND UNZIP IT FIRST
(8.9 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Okay, neither mori nor Assasin have replied since I posted my fixes, so it looks like their porting activities may have gone inactive. So although it was not my original intent, I may go ahead and post this campaign to the add-ons server.

If I do, my version would probably be a blend of the other two. I'd keep the Dark Elf units added by Assasin. On the other hand, I generally prefer the other's story intro. I'd have to go through and see what all the other differences are, and which version I'd go with.

In the meantime, my modded files are available as attachments in the posts above. If you want to play, you need to download BOTH. I noticed that my second attachment had been downloaded 5 times and my first only 3, so I edited my second post to try to make it clear that both are needed. But since that time, the second attachment has gone up to 8 downloads, while the first has remained at 3! So let me clarify: you need to download and unzip Assasin's attachment. Then you need to unzip my first attachment, overwriting his files. Then you unzip my second attachment over those.
Ports:
Resources:
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Is there a maintainer for this campaign?