Dark Elf Campaign: A New Threat

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

If dwarves break into other eras because of [advancefrom]; why not

Code: Select all

#ifdef Campaign_Dark_Elves
the tag.

Post by guest »

So, have you fixed the MP leak already?

Second, for some reason the campaign folder contains duplicate data (twice the same), i.e. a dark elves folder inside a dark elves folder. Please fix this as soon as possible. (Will also reduce download size. I presume it's not a campaign server bug, since no other download exhibits this behaviour for me.) Also, the files called "thumbs.db" are completely unnecessary, but that's a smaller annoyance.

edit: The game refuses to continue after "Danger lurks". Neither path works, first is an unknown scenario, second gives "error: unit not found". I don't have enthusiasm to debug.
Last edited by guest on December 20th, 2005, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

Initial thoughts on this campaign; these are the thoughts of a relative newcomer to Wesnoth, so ignore as appropriate.

In Hunting the Enemy, the units which appear when you enter the villages frequently appear in the walls. And they don't have names or traits.

The first three levels are very, very easy. Yeah, I know I'm playing on Easy, but I'm a pretty crap player and I'm not used to walking through an Easy level with my pants around my ankles without getting scratched. Then, all of a sudden, there's a big difficulty jump with Chosen Path, then after that it gets silly-easy again.

In All These Dwarves, the two dwarf enemies attack each other - although text makes it clear that they should be allies. They do a pretty good job of mutual butchery before I can get to 'em, which makes them very straightforward to chop up.

A lot of unit animations missing, but I imagine you're fully aware of this. Also, when the Hunter levels up to Shadow, he becomes shorter. I assumed that he'd developed a stoop from fighting so many Dwarves. Then when it levels up again, it regains its height.

I sort of get the suspicion that the Hunter and Wizard units are overpowered for the price. (I'm only talking about the context of the campaign here - no idea about multiplayer). The Hunter is basically a pumped-up Orc Assassin, costing one extra gold and with 1 extra damage on both attacks - and more useful damage resistance. And, critically, it can get to level 3. Then you combine that with the fact that in this campaign it's going to be used mostly against Dwarves. Dwarves don't have healers and so can't deal well with poison; their mainstay unit, which they rely heavily on, has no ranged attack.

The Wizard is an 18-gold Mage without a melee attack, a few extra hitpoints and a low XP cost. But really, who ever uses the mage's melee attack? I find they end up levelling - and surviving - far better than Mages. (Again, this might be because I have hordes of Dwarf Fighters with no ranged attack to blaze away at). The one serious threat to Wizard/Sorcerors is Ulfserkers - but the few times I've encountered those, the AI has shown that it doesn't really know how to best use Ulfserkers. The other issue is that Sorcerors don't have any levelling choices; there's no healer class. Still, they're so quick and easy to level up to Warlocks, and once there become utterly devastating. I'd make the Wizard at least 19 gold, maybe 20.
ILikeProgramming

I finally had the time to do something. The size bug is fixed.

As for the leak, I ifdef'ed the tag on runesmith. (The only unit with advancefrom that I found)

I agree the campaign is way too easy. I've been aware of this for a long time. For now, I made the wizard cost 20 gold, as a test.

And last, I hope people will start posting in this thread.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

What is happening? WHY IS THE DARK ELF CAMPAIGN DYING!!!!

AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh *Dies*
ILikeProgramming

Don't know. I think it's becuse everyone's inactive.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Well the next part that would need fixing is the 2 choices
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
appleide

Post by appleide »

Umm, Can you please put the most updated version on the first page?
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Hibakusha

Post by Hibakusha »

Got problems ...

I finish the "Danger Lurks" mission, I have to choose between going after dwarves to use the tunnel where the dragon is ....

Dwarves: I get this message:
Unknown Scenario:'To_Close'
Dragon: If i choose treasure, I can finish danger lurks without problems, then I start treasure, I have this message:
The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Unit not found:"

So, what should I do ?
Beside that, night elves are nice.
Brivido
Translator

Italian Translation

Post by Brivido »

The italian translation is completed:

http://pulsar.unizar.es/~isaac/wesnoth- ... sion=trunk

Bye
ILikeProgramming

Version 0.5.0 is out on the unstable server.

Changelog:

Dialogue Changes
Reordered 2 scenarios
Fixed improper naming of scenario "Too close"
Updated units
Images reordered into new format with subfolders
Cavestalk implemented
Added/updated all translations to match those in Wescamp SVN

Note: I have not tested this version at all.
bignall

Post by bignall »

When I get to Danger Lurks, I get the following error:

scenario: 'Danger'
has snapshot: no
skipping...
wesnoth: unit_map.cpp:55: void unit_map::add(std::pair<gamemap::location, unit>*): Assertion `res.second' failed.
Aborted

as Wesnoth dies. Any idea what's wrong? I've enjoyed the campaign so far, even if it is a bit easy. I'm looking forward to the rest of it!
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

It's a bug of wesnoth v1.1.5 caused by 2 units at the same place.
Btw it has been fixed and won't be in the next release (that should be released very soon).
ILikeProgramming

:shock: :shock:
I can't believe I missed it! (The problems was that two sides were both assigned the same number)
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

I'm about 80% done with scenario 7 right now, I'll pm it to you ILP.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!