Campaign Editor Develop

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

RokStar

Campaign Editor Develop

Post by RokStar »

Hi, i'm working on a Wesnoth Campaign Editor written in Python with GTK... actually i'm getting the basic skill to work with GTK, but i suppose i will finish my basic GTK training in a week or less.

I'm looking for help to get into this project. The things that i would like to have are:

- Python programmer to share the work to do to make a well formed campaign file (even if i have an almost clear idea about that)
- A guy that can work good with graphics and that make a draw of a friendly user interface (I only need a png file with element disposed on the main window and in the child window)
- Other

The people interested in this project can reply this message. The only thing you have to study to help me good is the structure of campaign files (you will find a guide on the wiki session on this site).

Thank you.
Blackbeard

Campaign Editor Development

Post by Blackbeard »

Hi RokStar,

Like most players here, I look forward to using your Campaign Editor, but I don't know python nor GTK because I've ended up in the Qt/KDE camp.

I've had a brief look at the file format, but if GTK or python support XML, rather use that and export to WML. To transform WML to XML you can convert the preprocessor and include commands to equivalent xml tags or processor instructions. While WML is excellent for Wesnoth, XML is more widely understood. Having an XML editor format might encourage others to develop plugins or addons to your Editor.

I haven't really thought about an editor GUI...give me time :)

-Blackbeard
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Someone is already working on a map editor in PyGTK... maybe you should get in touch and collaborate?

http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... .php?t=547
http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... .php?t=644
sparky

Post by sparky »

Yes, it's me making a map editor for Wesnoth. It uses Python + GTK.

I havn't done any work on it for the last 2 weeks as my job ends on March 13th and I've been looking for coding work, rather than actually coding :roll:

I was hoping for another test release in about 2 weeks time, at that point it should be almost workable.

Seems like we should work together. I prefer to code rather than design front-ends, so if you want to do all of the GUI stuff that's not a problem.... :D
kmj

Post by kmj »

Hey, rokstar! As you already know, I'm interested in helping!

Blackbeard, you can do the port to Qt! (I love PyQt, by the way, it's great.) I think we should bypass XML, the config files are really quite simple. It seems like extra work to add another format on top of that.
Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

kmj wrote: Blackbeard, you can do the port to Qt! (I love PyQt, by the way, it's great.) I think we should bypass XML, the config files are really quite simple. It seems like extra work to add another format on top of that.
You're right, I'm just lazy because Qt's XML support is brilliant, I just didn't want to suggest porting WML parser to Qt :twisted: The official reason for using XML format internally in wesnoth tools/utilities are:

1- XML parsers/tools are more widely available across platforms.

2- XML doesn't require preprocessing, WML does.

3- Changes to XML DTD don't require parser changes, similar changes to WML, do.

4- Converting between XML and WML is trivial, thanks to their flexible syntax.

5- It's easier for apps to track XML DTD changes (versions) and adjust themselves accordingly. This is non-trivial to do in WML.

6- Apps recognise XML as a MIME type and do the right thing, not so with WML.

As Wesnoth evolves, XML will prove more robust than WML, imho.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Blackbeard wrote: 4- Converting between XML and WML is trivial, thanks to their flexible syntax.
Not really, because WML uses a pre-processor, and XML doesn't. This makes conversion non-trivial.
Blackbeard wrote: As Wesnoth evolves, XML will prove more robust than WML, imho.
The problem with XML is that it is not convenient to edit large amounts of it by hand.

It is enough trouble to create a scenario, unit, translation, etc etc, without the agony of editing large amounts of XML. Until we have tools that makes the need to edit config files by hand unnecessary, I don't think XML is a good option.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming