Reworked Sceptre of Fire

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

telex4

Reworked Sceptre of Fire

Post by telex4 »

I've been playtesting the Sceptre of Fire level, which IMO is far too hard. At is is in CVS I find it absolutely unbeatable at the normal difficulty level. I've watched miyo's replays and so know it's possible, but it just seems far too hard to me.

Changes I've made:
- The start for the player is farther north by a few hexes
- The enemy castle in the middle-left of the map is smaller
- The thin bit near that enemy castle is father south, and the one-hex-wide part is only one hex 'long'
- The village by the one-hex-wide-part to the right of the player's castle is now right next to the one-hex-wide part

The first three changes make it possible for the player to move into the wide open area where the first enemy is before the enemy reaches the player... IF the player knows what to do and rushes straight there with dwarves. If the player still gets caught in the one-hex-wide part, it's much smaller and so easier to battle your way through.

The fourth change simply makes it a little easier to hold that tunnel so you can use more units going north.

The level still seems hard to me, but I didn't want to make it too much easier than it was... it is at least possible for me to complete it on normal now :roll:

Re: Reworked Sceptre of Fire

Post by Guest »

telex4 wrote:I've watched miyo's replays and so know it's possible,
that replay is from the times when "normal" was easy and "easy" was normal.

http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... .php?t=540
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Okay, thanks for the changes :)

I have committed them to CVS.

I am still trying to work out a way to make underground scenarios randomly generated though :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

As I posted in another topic, having some randomization in the tunnels or in the location of the sceptre would really help with the replay value of these levels.
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

What about a scenario: Konrad goes nethack? :)
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I'm playing on hard difficulty and I must say that Sceptre of Fire seems almost impossible to complete.

Other scenarios were difficult, but through proper tactics they can usually be overcome. But the northern area is usually just flooded with 2/3rd level trolls and it's very difficult to get through. This is not a matter of knowing what to do - for this level there isn't much room for tactics, it's all about winning fights and "recycling" troops.

I must admit that I try and split my north vs east troops evenly as I don't want to "benefit" from knowing where the sceptre is. But even so, starting with 500+ gold and a good army to recall, I can't seem to break through in the north.

Suggest that the enemies be given less gold for Sceptre of Fire for Hard difficulty.

For normal difficulty, there's not much a problem. You just have to establish a beachhead and you can usually fight through.

(I'm using 0.6.99.3)
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire